ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey PC Launch Date

It was pretty clear all along that they'd be launching before the end of the quarter come hell or high water and the decision to remove the spinny wheel minigame but not replace it just reinforced that belief. No, it will not be in a state fit for release, but that was obvious back in January when they decided not to embarrass themselves with console releases until later in the year.

From what we've seen so far there is real potential in this addition to Elite, let's just hope they don't just leave it unfinished like so many other cool new features. I suppose all we can do is try to give clear and concise feedback on the remaining bugs and issues and hope FDev can fix at least some of them in the next few weeks.

To everyone who, in the past 8 pages of this thred, who have said words along the lines of....Oh Good, I can't wait, or Brilliant i look forward to the 19th of May, Obviously have NOT been involved in the Alpha. If they release this game in the state it is now, then god help this forum it WILL EXPLODE!
At least we'll have something to entertain us while waiting for the countless number of patches that are sure to follow.

To everyone who, in the past 8 pages of this thred, who have said words along the lines of....Oh Good, I can't wait, or Brilliant i look forward to the 19th of May, Obviously have NOT been involved in the Alpha.
I look forward to the release on the 19th May and I also participated in the first three phases of the alpha.

If they release this game in the state it is now, then god help this forum it WILL EXPLODE!

Well there is just under a month until release date so I have to imagine they'll use the time between now and then to fix issues. Worry not they'll not release the current build of the game on the 19th.

To everyone who, in the past 8 pages of this thred, who have said words along the lines of....Oh Good, I can't wait, or Brilliant i look forward to the 19th of May, Obviously have NOT been involved in the Alpha. If they release this game in the state it is now, then god help this forum it WILL EXPLODE!

Watch how many comments will be deleted in today's stream on Twitch... maybe a few people banned too 🤣

As DøømHåmstër said over in the other (now closed) thread:

“this sorta indicates to me that the actual alpha and beta have been closed and what we've been "testing" has been a sandbox of pre alpha code that we prepaid for but not an actual alpha test.”

Frontier will deserve it.
OK, I'm not a games dev, heck I'm not even a programmer. But even I can see for a games development company, working through an alpha and beta to a deadline is madness. I've seen how other games devs manage their alpha and beta testing phases. Yes I understand the need to work to financial requirements, but sometimes you have to say to the shareholders and the investors that it's better to take the time to release a polished product than it is to release a half-polished turd.

This decision to work to a deadline for financial reasons, is going to come back to bite Frontier in the Asp. And they will deserve all the flak they are going to get because this is not like they are a new developer who doesn't have money or experience. Elite Dangerous is 6 years old (since official release) and Frontier have worked to deadlines like this many times over the years, and each time it harms their reputation, and each time, they NEVER LEARN.

Sorry Frontier, I love you like a brother, I'll always be here for you, but this is stupidity. You need to change how you work.

Watch how many comments will be deleted in today's stream on Twitch... maybe a few people banned too 🤣
Those streams are a complete waste of time IMO. At least the official feedback threads here on the forum seem to have served some purpose, even if a lot of good suggestions have been piped to /dev/null due to this hardcoded deadline. Heck, it's the official feedback threads that brought me back to this infernal place, LOL ;)

As DøømHåmstër said over in the other (now closed) thread:

“this sorta indicates to me that the actual alpha and beta have been closed and what we've been "testing" has been a sandbox of pre alpha code that we prepaid for but not an actual alpha test.”
Yes. There is plenty of evidence that this is the case, you only have to look at all their other content patches that have historically been such smooth sailing. Pretty sure this nails it. Case closed everyone.

Frontier secretly made a good patch and decided not to share it with us so we'd be all the more surprised when it comes out in April. Clearly the most likely scenario. Matches their modus operandi perfectly. Lol, nice one Fdev, self-owning for a month in order to stick it to the haters later amirite? Classic. Classic moves. Pure bants.

1. 19th is the commitment.
2. I'm in the Alpha. I'm excited. So your assumption is a bit off.
3. If they release in this state it means they have to go on a long lunch break until the 19th. Which is not the case. The period until the 19th will be used for fixes & polishing. We don't know the state for release since it hasn't happened yet.
4. Forum will explode regardless of state, because people still want their most beloved feature fixed / into the game.

It's easy to call for doomsday. But it's pointless.
Moving forward things need fixing, both now and after the 19th, but it can only be achieved if we manage to express whats wrong and what needs fixing so it's possible for the Devs to work on the issues in a smart manner.

Typical FD form for releasing something again, that's nowhere near ready.... Oh the agony of it all. Back to playing the space part for a while then....

I have been involved in the alpha and look forward to the 19th May...

If you were perfectly honest, you would have made the point that the forum will explode on 19th May regardless of the content or state of Odyssey...

Frontier will deserve it.
OK, I'm not a games dev, heck I'm not even a programmer. But even I can see for a games development company, working through an alpha and beta to a deadline is madness. I've seen how other games devs manage their alpha and beta testing phases. Yes I understand the need to work to financial requirements, but sometimes you have to say to the shareholders and the investors that it's better to take the time to release a polished product than it is to release a half-polished turd.

This decision to work to a deadline for financial reasons, is going to come back to bite Frontier in the Asp. And they will deserve all the flak they are going to get because this is not like they are a new developer who doesn't have money or experience. Elite Dangerous is 6 years old (since official release) and Frontier have worked to deadlines like this many times over the years, and each time it harms their reputation, and each time, they NEVER LEARN.

Sorry Frontier, I love you like a brother, I'll always be here for you, but this is stupidity. You need to change how you work.

Because the game still makes money, and no matter how many people get disillusioned and leave, more customers appear and are sucked in by the "400 billion systems" and "immmmmmerrrrrrsssssshun!" /yamiks. Until they get disillusioned also, and the cycle repeats.

Since money is the only concern, and the balance sheet is healthy, everything else can go hang. 🤷‍♀️

I agree it's a terrible way to manage a project or run a company, but it's been that way since (at least) FD went public.

From what I experienced in the alpha so far, this is not ready for a release in 1 month. This is going to be fun times.

Will game studios ever learn? Didn't Cyberpunk 2077 serve as a wake up call for the whole gaming industry? Release when it's ready. Really ready.
I think its about beating starfield, first to the e3 announcement and then to the console release. If bethesda does their usual quality job, it will probably suck most of the dough out of the sci fi game market.

Last edited:
I have been involved in the alpha and look forward to the 19th May...

If you were perfectly honest, you would have made the point that the forum will explode on 19th May regardless of the content or state of Odyssey...
That's one of the few sure things in life

All the people in the last 9 pages of this thread, who HAVE Participated in the Alpha and STILL look forward to the 19th, then i can only say to you guys and gurls is that you are the sort of people who would buy a something full of faults and say, 'Yeah it's fine, it still works, and besides i love X Company so much i want their babies'

Psssst do you guys wanna buy a great Car, Never been raced or Rallyed, one careful Lady Vicar owner, Genuine Mileage, A snip at Only 25K.

Contact me urgently, i'll even send a taxi for you ;) ;)

Top Bottom