ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous | Odyssey: Roadmap

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I for one still look forward to Odyssey releasing on playstation 4! : ) .. And I watched star citizen on Will & Kate's channel and the only thing that impressed me was the actual atmospheric world with snow, but it can't be better than Odyssey imo, dang straight! I hope Odyssey has worlds like the snowy one yet to be discovered. :D o7 Sally and Team! ;)
I saw that same video and thought to myself I looks just like Minnesota in the winter but it was a good video I love Will and Kate videos one day I will be able to kill a bug lol

Happy Monday, Wobblin-Gobblin.
No no, don't want to scare the players at all.
I certainly didn't physically release the game, just to be clear (o7), so I can't help with most of what you're saying on that side of things. Sorry.
I'm a Community Manager - part of what I do is being here to listen, grab all of your thoughtful contributions to thoughts and feedback (thanks everyone!) and help to support all of our teams in that sense, with figuring out how to get you the best experience moving forward.
o7 back!
You could gift me a copy on Steam.... :)

I think slightly later in that video is actually a good example of the problems with believing their early design conversations before they knew anything about MMO writing - and why I'd actually be happier if they just owned up and said "yes, with hindsight that was never going to work, sorry"

And sure, let's think about where that all ends. We want to be able to sneak onto other player's ships while they're loading cargo (and then, according to elsewhere in the video, steal the ship)

So that means that cargo loading has to take a non-trivial amount of time, so that another player has time to notice you doing it, head over to your bay (you must now enter the hangar to load/unload cargo), stealth around, wait for the right moment, and sneak in. A painfully slow transfer rate for a T-9 pilot of 1t/second - over 10 minutes for a full turnaround, even if loading and unloading are simultaneous - would still make it near impossible to do this on anything much smaller than a cargo-fit Python. (Not that it would have to be the same rate for each ship, of course, but still, even three minutes sat on the pad for each cargo transfer would be painful! Especially at outposts...)

And it probably needs to be something you can't avoid happening to you by just logging into Odyssey or you end up with a situation where people wanting to sneak on board ships play the Elite Dangerous Espionage client and people who don't want their ships sneaked onboard play Odyssey, so no-one actually gets to board anyone else's ship.

And then once you've got on board, then what? Do you arc-cut your way onto the bridge, blast the CMDR with your rifle before they manage to switch to "walking" mode and get their shields up, and steal the ship. Brilliant way of buying and selling engineered modules from other players, I guess. Where does the other CMDR respawn? Does it count as a ship rebuy for them? What if the other CMDR suspects you're on board and logs off a couple of minutes after launch while you're still sneaking through the air vents?

These aren't unanswerable questions ... but the answers would involve a lot of rewriting of existing long-standing gameplay decisions (cargo loading is instant, insurance rebuys exist, your ship doesn't persist if you log out with another player around) ... and most current players are probably quite happy with those decisions being as they are, and wouldn't like them changed for an expansion they aren't even buying.
The forced cargo loading scenario is yes a step too far, but I would love the option of being able to sneak into another ship, if only to do a similar scavenging job to the current settlements. It would require at least a partial modelling of ship interiors, but also a tool that 'tricks' the fast lift into taking you to another hanger, where you find maybe another cmdr's ship (if instanced), and you use your special tool to lower the cargo hatch (or another rear door maybe). You don't need to model all the ship, and I don't think it needs to be spatially exact either.

well, i think i know the secret of odyssey's failure. some fdev employees complain of low morale and toxic management.
You know things are bad when "noone gets promoted" gets CEO approval. This is the approach that takes fresh graduates and soul crushingly exploits them for mediocre work and poor pay. Same picture as for the players, really; management wants to exploit those who have enough passion for the individual project to hang on (for a while) despite the abuse.

Last edited:
You know things are bad when "noone gets promoted" gets CEO approval. This is the approach that takes fresh graduates and soul crushingly exploits them for mediocre work and poor pay. Same picture as for the players, really; management wants to exploit those who have enough passion for the individual project to hang on despite the abuse.
well, there are also complaints about the engine, cobra. people have written about it being poorly usable and terribly inconvenient.
Overall, we have what we have: a disgusting quality odyssey, a stym rating that is down to 30% again and dragging the main game down with it, community dissatisfaction and employee complaints (many of whom have been with the company for several years).
and why do i fear for the future of the elite now more than ever before?

I agree. The problem with that though (as we've seen endlessly) is that there's a subsection of the player base who are simply incapable or either understanding or accepting that as the game developed from being broad concepts on a drawing board to 'things that actually needed to be designed, implemented and most critically, prioritised', the journey down some of those roads made some of the other roads either impassable, or at least much more difficult to traverse. Trouble is, if you're not a reasonable person with an understanding that over the course of seven years and more this will happen, what you get is 'noooo you lied to me!!!!!'.
Don't you think some owning up to the failed sales pitch from the Kickstarter era is in order? Or the hype-pumped hundred staff "New Era" of Odyshiy? I don't see that anywhere. I saw two "sorry not sorry posts", which failed to address any of the concerns, probably because legal reasons - it's a publicly traded company after all.

After the latest "honesty rounds firing" I am seriously expecting (fruitlessly, I know) that Braben will come up and speak about the future of the game, if there's even any. Plans for features, expansions etc. That he sells me on the Elite concept/vision again, so to speak. Or is it the definition of insanity and we should expect nothing but mediocrity from from here on? No ship interiors, no plans for current consoles, no plans for VR, no plans for base building... So, mr. Braben, what's next then?

Or they could admit that Elite is going into the freezer while they bash out another lucrative IP deal (F1). Was Odyssey the last paid DLC for the foreseeable future? Two years? After all, it's not us who wanted to have game-as-a-service-mmo-wannabe. It was his decision, so I would expect him to own up, as it was demonstrated that whatever he was babbling about in 2014 or earlier, never materialised in 7 years now.

So yeah, if the answer is "nothing is planned at the moment", then they can go stuff themselves.

Don't you think some owning up to the failed sales pitch from the Kickstarter era is in order? Or the hype-pumped hundred staff "New Era" of Odyshiy? I don't see that anywhere. I saw two "sorry not sorry posts", which failed to address any of the concerns, probably because legal reasons - it's a publicly traded company after all.

After the latest "honesty rounds firing" I am seriously expecting (fruitlessly, I know) that Braben will come up and speak about the future of the game, if there's even any. Plans for features, expansions etc. That he sells me on the Elite concept/vision again, so to speak. Or is it the definition of insanity and we should expect nothing but mediocrity from from here on? No ship interiors, no plans for current consoles, no plans for VR, no plans for base building... So, mr. Braben, what's next then?

Or they could admit that Elite is going into the freezer while they bash out another lucrative IP deal (F1). Was Odyssey the last paid DLC for the foreseeable future? Two years? After all, it's not us who wanted to have game-as-a-service-mmo-wannabe. It was his decision, so I would expect him to own up, as it was demonstrated that whatever he was babbling about in 2014 or earlier, never materialised in 7 years now.

So yeah, if the answer is "nothing is planned at the moment", then they can go stuff themselves.
i remember that leak on fdev's plans for 5 years in 2019. it was recently confirmed once again with the announcement of jwe2, which means we know what fdev will make money on in the coming years, and no big new updates there.
which means, based on that, I'm pretty sure there won't be any more big (horizons or odyssey level) paid updates in elite until 2025-2026. well... if the plan in 2019 was for 5 years, until 2024 for sure.

i remember that leak on fdev's plans for 5 years in 2019. it was recently confirmed once again with the announcement of jwe2, which means we know what fdev will make money on in the coming years, and no big new updates there.
which means, based on that, I'm pretty sure there won't be any more big (horizons or odyssey level) paid updates in elite until 2025-2026. well... if the plan in 2019 was for 5 years, until 2024 for sure.
That leak also stated fighting Thargoids on foot and base building were coming to Elite, but atmos weren't.

jwe_leak_part_1.jpg

The F1 management game (2022) isn't mentioned, but Warhammer Age of Sigmar (2023) appears to be: real time strategy game.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom