Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road To Odyssey Part 2 - Forging Your Path

Because, with voice acting, well, it means unless they hired several hundred thousand voice actors, everyones gonna have one of a few voices...

Ignoring for a moment there are tens of thousands of non-engligh speaking players - I think the only place that voice acted parts would make any real sense is if we could purchase add-on mission packs.

That way it would make economic sense for frontier to create a rich experience, and add something new to the game which is separate from the existing mission boards on stations.

Ignoring for a moment there are tens of thousands of non-engligh speaking players - I think the only place that voice acted parts would make any real sense is if we could purchase add-on mission packs.

That way it would make economic sense for frontier to create a rich experience, and add something new to the game which is separate from the existing mission boards on stations.

Ok, several thousand voice actors, per language supported. (I always expect this is assumed, but seems like a lot of people assume I'm just saying english voice actors for some reason.)

Also people seem to assume that the AI systems could only do english, this ain't true either, depends how they are trained.

So... I know this is pointless but, in future - if I'm ever referring to language related anything, assume I mean fully localised to all supported languages, and I'm not saying to only do stuff in English.

I give up.
FDev are utterly out of touch. Do not give a flying frog a damn about the community.
making only the absolute MINIMUM EFFORT!!!
I'm done.
I'm out.
Delete my account, I don't care.
I'm not playing this ay more.
I'm not buying this update.
I'm sure as hell never buying another shiup kit or paint job.
I'm completely fed up of FDev's utter ignorance.
some of you might have expected X due to everything we've teased in the past, but sod you dumb fools we know better. And if you're a real fan you'll neeeeveeer complain.
Delete my account. I don't care. I'm never playing this again.

What the....?

I'm gonna speculate that they're aiming for a month-ish between dev diaries, and the fact it was a week or two longer this time is just a standard-issue case of stuff usually taking longer than expected when you don't tie yourself to a deadline, hah!

I think we'll see the next one at the end of October/start of November, and the fourth one at the start of December. Thereafter, more detailed feature discussion and maybe a beta.

I'm assuming four in total because there's four subheadings in the announcement post, and diaries one and two took their theme and title from subheadings one and two.

I suspect the next one will be called Assemble Your Crew and cover multiplayer, more detail on the services available at social hubs, and new engineering/crafting. The fourth will be The Sphere of Combat and be about... oh I dunno...

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the CG, not done that for a wee while. Although it is dragging a bit now.

Having said that I got a 'take out Imperial correspondence ship' message mid combat.

It may have been in the game a long time, as I have, but it's my first experience of it and although he wasn't shooting much his shields and plating were a tough nut.
Regards
Pug

You wouldn't rather have a beta for Christmas? 😉

You are only going to get a beta if Frontier thinks it adds value to the project. But Its certainly possible.

I guess if they have got real value out of the last set of beta`s, then they may well be planning something.

Will all the current settlements like Dav's Hope be Odyssey-afied? If they are it might be worth revisting the INRA settlements since some nasty things happened there.

Yeah, I'm interested in this too. There seems to be a big step up in detail in the new settlements.

I suspect not - Frontier would rather add content than replace it, getting more content for their buck. Plus there's quite a few layouts of existing surface installations, if they had to add the improved models/textures and internal modelling for each those types, it'd add a lot of work. I'd 100% love to be wrong though!

Will all the current settlements like Dav's Hope be Odyssey-afied? If they are it might be worth revisting the INRA settlements since some nasty things happened there.
I wouldn't think so, no. All of the current settlements all befell some horrible tragedy and are abandoned. I think it would be weird to drop in on an INRA site and see NPC Karen walking around telling everyone how specieist we are the that bug lives matter, too.

I wouldn't think so, no. All of the current settlements all befell some horrible tragedy and are abandoned. I think it would be weird to drop in on an INRA site and see NPC Karen walking around telling everyone how specieist we are the that bug lives matter, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an abandoned settlement type seeded along with the new types and variants to explore.

And it wouldn't blow my mind if existing Horizons settlements were re-generated with the new settlement bells and whistles. After all, size, economy type, security, faction, etc. are all part of the existing info held on the existing settlements, which could all be used as data to procedurally generate updated layouts and facilities. I'm fairly sure the new settlements are procedurally generated anyway...

But yeah, I agree, it's not my minimum expectation.

Also Dav's Hope and the Formidine Outposts were hand-placed, I do believe, with a unique design that I haven't seen elsewhere in the game. They're not generated from the background sim. So I suspect those particular ones might be left as-is, as fixed, handcrafted artifacts, unless they consider it worthwhile to manually update them. In other words, perhaps if they become story-relevant again.

So...

Procedural Horizons settlements: maybe

Hand-placed story-related sites: probably not but... maybe

Last edited:
Probably Dav's Hope etc would need the same level of detail, sand textures blending in to the building textures etc as in the new Settlements, as we will be able to see them at closer detail and it would stand out if they were the old textures. But probably not anything more than that.

Top Bottom