Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 4

I cant get into the game since the new update. It is just stuck on the 'Loading Game screen'. I have turned the computer off and on again but that the limit of my expertise.

Any Ideas how to fix this?
There is an issues with the servers. Sally is clubbing the devs. So park up and watch the forums thread. A lot of us are having proublems with it getting stuck at the loading game screen.

@sallymorganmoore

First of all, big thank you to you and the whole CM team for your responsiveness! It's much appreciated.

I wanted to point out a long-standing issue that predates Odyssey. I've watched this one languish on the issue tracker since version 3.3.

Currently, smuggling and black markets are broken. There are seemingly two flags that are looked at when selling commodities on a black market. The first is whether the good was stolen or not. If it was, the black market will slap a -25% price reduction on it. The logic being that stolen goods are more dangerous to sell.

However, this same price reduction is also being applied to goods that aren't stolen. The result of which is drastically reduced profits when trying to smuggle, and in many cases, you'll actually lose credits.

Combine this with the fact that smuggling was not rebalanced when all the other professions were and it's quite clear that smuggling is dead right now. It's only use is for BGS manipulation currently.

One previous report on the issue tracker has expired and another is marked "Fixed". Unfortunately, it isn't fixed. Here's a link to the current issue on the tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/12357

I know this isn't a super high priority with everything going on, but it would be nice to see some acknowledgment of the problem.

Thanks!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
One simple question.............are smear campaign in the game now?
Read 8 posts up from the one you just quoted!

@sallymorganmoore

First of all, big thank you to you and the whole CM team for your responsiveness! It's much appreciated.

I wanted to point out a long-standing issue that predates Odyssey. I've watched this one languish on the issue tracker since version 3.3.

Currently, smuggling and black markets are broken. There are seemingly two flags that are looked at when selling commodities on a black market. The first is whether the good was stolen or not. If it was, the black market will slap a -25% price reduction on it. The logic being that stolen goods are more dangerous to sell.

However, this same price reduction is also being applied to goods that aren't stolen. The result of which is drastically reduced profits when trying to smuggle, and in many cases, you'll actually lose credits.

Combine this with the fact that smuggling was not rebalanced when all the other professions were and it's quite clear that smuggling is dead right now. It's only use is for BGS manipulation currently.

One previous report on the issue tracker has expired and another is marked "Fixed". Unfortunately, it isn't fixed. Here's a link to the current issue on the tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/12357

I know this isn't a super high priority with everything going on, but it would be nice to see some acknowledgment of the problem.

Thanks!
1,000 times this please :)

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Right... my first launch after the new patch, I was floating in space next to Sol and decided to jump towards my home station of Daedalus, the game ended in a state, where it kept announcing constantly rising heat damage, but I was unable to do anything, as the jumping loop just stayed on.

So I force quit and tried again, this time around to get in the on-foot suit tutorial, it didn't even let me in the tutorial. I tried twice, both times ended on the introduction screen, where it shows the location and planets name.

And finally, I tried again to get in the game, but it just hangs on the Loading Game screen.

Yup, yup. Good stuff.

I am so sorry to keep spamming this same message over and over but there are lots of you in here - WE ARE GETTING CLOSE TO SQUASHING THOSE ORANGE SIDIES, EVERYONE! Hang in there Thanks for your patience.

Deep breath...

UI
Changing the Intimidator skin still gives:
1623919957799.png

Was getting Orange Sidewinders... then was unable to login (servers getting reset maybe?)...
... and now we're right back to more Orange Sidewinders.

Whatever hotfix was tried did not work.

yes but I have no answers other then just play around with in-game graphic options and also with your GPU settings.
I have been doing this for weeks with very little changes from Low to High, or a variation of those. However even using Medium & Low settings I get an awful migraine after a while, So I still have to be around the High preset (usually 16x Anistropic and SMAA, but that has very little bearing on the overall performance).

Last edited:
Thank you for the update. It is nice to see such hard work is put in this!

Can I please advice 2 changes in how you communicate these changes though? You asked communication improvements :)

1/ Separate the important improvements from lesser details

I feel the patch notes "blow up" very small changes, causing the list to be 5x as big and as a consequence 5x as hard to read and understand and it results in an icky feeling of "PRintention".

Some examples of meaningless small details blowing up the list:
  • MissionUI - Updated Community-Goal related icons to use a higher fidelity icon.
  • Localised 'battery at 20%' notification.
  • A fix has been implemented for z-fighting that could be seen on a Chemical prop.
That is not to say we don't appreciate those small changes improving the game. It simply means there is no real useful reason to mention them or at the very least mention them equally with more important information.

It would be the same as if a catfood salesperson would mention to me this new bag of catfood has russian translation. I'm not russian and so are the majority of his customers not being russian, so most customers wouldn't care really. They just wants good catfood. So imagine the difference if this salesperson would mention the increased nutrition value instead. And imagine the difference with him mentioning the russian translation afterwards.

As opposed to these (potentially) which stand out as much more important:
  • Optimisations to terrain rendering have been made
  • Reduced occasional frame spikes caused by AI
I believe it is very important to make that separation if you want to improve communication.

2/ Explain the important patch notes

In line with the 1st advice, it would be very useful to select the most important patch notes and explain them a bit, show examples, go more in-depth what they actually mean.

For example:

"Optimisations to terrain rendering have been made"
  • What optimisation?
  • How would a user notice?
  • Can you show it?
  • etc.

Really hope this changes, because right now, it's impossible for me to understand them properly and know if it's a big/important update or just appears big.

Last edited:
I don't feel disrespected AT all but I do feel I should maybe introduce myself -
I'm Sally, previously on the Production team for Elite Dangerous so I know quite a lot about the development of the game from Horizons onwards (not tooting my own horn, just want you to feel reassured I know what I'm doing). Similarly, Community Managers who write the patch notes absolutely know everything they possibly can about the game and it's progress. We're here to support you on this side and the devs on our side to get this game the best it can be for you all.
I'm also not a guy.

Smear Campaign plans, as I said to a couple of Commanders back in the thread - we're looking deeply into things on that side and will update you asap with news on progress.

Thanks!
Way to go Sally! (y) :D

Thanks so much for the updates.

Is there any word about the damaged stations moving in orbit (as in the player ship not syncing with the station's instance). I didn't see it on the list... I went to do rescues pre-update this week and they were all like that. It's very hard to dock with a station travelling at 200 m/s... or do I just need to work on my extreme docking skills?

Happy Thursday

Top Bottom