Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

i5-3450
Asus RX480 4gb
16gb ddr3
FPS in patch 6 has grown, supersampling has been raised from 0.85 to 1 and everything works smoothly, there is still a drawdown at the stations, but not as terrible as it was before. You are heading in the right direction! I hope that patch 7 will improve the situation even more, well, plus you will start releasing content for the game) There are a lot of Wishlist in the world of the Elite!

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore

I highly recommend that you/frontier give us a PTR or Test Version possibility! We driving circles at the moment and there are more bugs generated than before and old bugs won´t be fixed. So please take this suggestion with you go to your team and brainstorm about it. It would be help much more as this issue tracker thing...

Don't you worry about old bugs, we're absolutely keeping those in mind too. You've all hopefully been seeing glimmers of those coming through already. Only glimmers so far but we're definitely keeping legacy issues out of the blind spot too. Really appreciate this thought though.

sallymorganmoore

Heyo Cheerio! Got another one for you Sally,

When you are taking off FA off, the station throws you off the pad violently to the side as if you are not inheriting any sideways momentum at the point of release. This is different and much worse than how it operates in Horizons. On landing the pad also judders underneath you if you are in FA off and will often cause you to be knocked off course even if you are landing correctly. I have highlighted just the first issue for clarity and we are almost at the ten required cmdrs that can reproduce it so if anyone else also is having this issue, please add your voice.

- https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41272

Many Thankings @sallymorganmoore :)

AHA! This has more contributions now I see. Very helpful as always, Piglet!

@sallymorganmoore
Just a minor annoyance - a ship seat was added to the SRV - and of course it doesn't fit very well! ;)

SRV.jpg

Could you mention it to the artists, please?

ETA: Same SRV - Same planet... Just Horizons (yes... it is yellow!)

Screenshot_0166.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Sally,
Hope everything is still manageable?

I just found another quirky thing in the Galaxy map:
when rotating around a reference point, nebulae sometimes visually disappear and reappear?
I made an issue for this in the tracker: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41411

I used Zeta Sculptoris as reference point, zoomed out about 2000ly and looked at Barnard's Loop.
Screenshot: no Barnard's Loop
Screencapture Galaxy map Nebula pop in-out 2.PNG

Screenshot: Barnard's Loop reappeared
Screencapture Galaxy map Nebula pop in-out 1.PNG

And mind you. I use win 7. If I used win10, I would need another GB Ram for 64-bit load alone and would also suffer poorer ram utlization by far as Win10 is a pig for memory utilization... I can tell you this from personal expierience, I would rather a semi-up to date PC with enough RAM over a state of the art server that is starved for RAM. You can forget about CPU and GPU capability, it wont help. I see these guyd/Gal;s on here with monster PCs but they have only 12-16 GB RAM. Based on what I seee, those win10 machinces will get toasted. Which why they are on here complaining. Everyone likes to talk about all this graphics lingo and expertise but are missing the obvious I think.
My computer also has a low FPS in Elite Dangerous Odyssey. In your opinion and I need to improve the computer even more?
  • Tobii eye tracker 4c
  • MB : ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
  • CPU: Intel® Core i9-9900K
  • RAM: HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 3466
  • GPU: GeForce RTX™ 3090 GameRock 24GB
  • SSD : Samsung 860 PRO - 1TB
  • HDD: WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 - 2TB
  • HDD: WD10EADS-65L5B1 - 1TB
  • Keybord: Razer DeathStalker Essential
  • Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 500
  • Monitor: Philips 226CL 21.5" 1920x1080
  • Full Tower: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2
  • CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • Seasonic Snow Silent 1050
  • Win 10 PRO x64

My main performance issue is ED pegs a single core (of 12) at 100% for several seconds doing... I don't know what. My guess is something to do with fonts and textures as it's almost always first time in a map (definitely system, probably galaxy (don't see it as much there)), first time in a new area on a planet on-foot (and it's the HUD stuff that's stalled: once that's loaded, things are ok), entering a station concourse (not every time, though, but always the first time), and loading in-ship at a station (first time?).

I'm very confident it's not system memory (64GB). Otherwise, update 6 does seem to have been good for performance for me (nvidea 1080 with 8GB, running at 1920x1080 (when I checked today, 50-120fps on foot out in the black)).
Asus P6X58D MoBO (DigitalStorm configurement)
I7-975 3.33GHz
GTX 1080 at 4.0 GHz
1920x1080 display
12GB DDR3 1600 GHz Corsair Dominator DHX DRAM
2X 256 Raid 2 Corsair SS HD
Win 7

I have no problems with this game play other than a few stutters in CZ on certain settlements.... modest system at best but I am using Win 7 which is key for me.

Last edited:
My computer also has a low FPS in Elite Dangerous Odyssey. In your opinion and I need to improve the computer even more?
  • Tobii eye tracker 4c
  • Win 10 PRO x64
If you are running low on in-game RAM then yes you need to adjust. Otherwise there may be a bad compatability with your system and the game software's interface to it. I am not saying the only issue is in-game RAM utilization, just that a lot of the time I see this. I see routinely folks with systems like yours that have 12GB RAM using Win 10.
That will never work with non-optiomized game software like EDO.

Look at my modest RIG direclty above. I am running 60-70 FPS (and smoothly at that) everywhere in the game. It's the same game software you are using. Think about that.

• Tobii eye tracker 4c
  • Win 10 PRO x64
I feel your pain. My RTX3090 system also experiences low frame rates (and every patch they seem to get lower).

I would say you might want to invest in a newer, higher resolution monitor. Seems a shame to hamstring the 3090 with a 1080p monitor. I've paired mine with a 2560x1440 144Hz GSync monitor and its glorious!

Gah...you're the second one to confirm this for me. Ok.
Do you remember what you were doing before you logged please? Anything significant? Thanks!
For once that's easy to remember - nothing! :D
I was parked on a planet surface to sit out some notoriety at the end of a longer session, a few hours playtime followed by around 2 more in park mode (notoriety went down by one point during that time).

I feel your pain. My RTX3090 system also experiences low frame rates (and every patch they seem to get lower).

I would say you might want to invest in a newer, higher resolution monitor. Seems a shame to hamstring the 3090 with a 1080p monitor. I've paired mine with a 2560x1440 144Hz GSync monitor and its glorious!
Yeah, I didn't notice that. The monitor makes no sense for that RIG. Can't imagine how that interface works out....You would think it should be able to manage that but, who knows...

To be honest, I do think some of these state-of-the-art systems like the above are probably just not interfaced properly by the EDO gameware (fault of game programming). Its seems a shame. I feel sorry for Guys/Gals like this. I mean it really must suck because you have your hope so high for awsome graphics and fun with a powerful machine like that and then you get crap performance at best. Still, Id check my system performance parameters to see whats happeing dynamically becasue, you might be able to change a setting or two and resolve it. Ive seen folks who have there virtual memory access shut off on their HDs and a simple thing like that can kill the game not to mention GPU set-up parameters.

Last edited:
Hi @sallymorganmoore ! Just would like to call your attention to these issues, sorry if they were already mentioned here, tried to look for them.

- Support Missions cannot be completed:

- NPC Crew keeps talking as the fight has ended, ("things were a bit hairy for a second", and other chats), but is still going on. It keps repeating the end-of-fight chat until the fight is actually over. It does not seem to affect the fight behavior, just the chat.

Thanks a lot for all the help. Update 6 was a great step in the right direction, in my experience.

Thats nonsense... he can use DSR for 4k if he wants but 1080p only shows that the game is running very poor...
And yes in 2021 it´s still like that, that if you want always high fps gaming you better using a 1080p monitor!

• Tobii eye tracker 4c
  • Win 10 PRO x64

Lol, good luck improving that.

(Jealous)

sallymorganmoore

sallymorganmoore

Hi @sallymorganmoore ! Just would like to call your attention to these issues, sorry if they were already mentioned here, tried to look for them.

- Support Missions cannot be completed:

- NPC Crew keeps talking as the fight has ended, ("things were a bit hairy for a second", and other chats), but is still going on. It keps repeating the end-of-fight chat until the fight is actually over. It does not seem to affect the fight behavior, just the chat.

Thanks a lot for all the help. Update 6 was a great step in the right direction, in my experience.
Hellooo thanks for contributing to these!! Noted from the other day and under my wing :)

Top Bottom