Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

And another instance.
Can you tell me what you were doing before you logged please :)? I'm trying to look for a pattern....
Unfortunately I can't remember for certain. I'd definitely have been docked at a station having been previously flying around various systems doing a mix of Odyssey missions and Space cargo trading, and I'd have exited to the menu then exited the game from the main menu ... but I can't remember now if I logged out from the concourse or my ship, or whether it was a surface or orbital station I was docked at.

That's the only time since Update 6 it's done it so far, and I don't think I did anything out of my normal missions+trade+flying routine that session.

Thanks for following up!

• Illegal interactions (Hacking, taking stolen/illegal items, pressing illegal consoles) now require a press and hold for 1 second to avoid accidental criminal activity.

This is TERRIBLE! Wastes so much time and what is the purpose - to slow us down even more?? Been really trying to stay positive ... I mean with all the things that need fix'n adding more timers and nerfing Impact Sites somehow made the list? How about fix'n Fleet Carrier pad lighting - LOOKS ridiculous. Why do we need a timer when items are clearly MARKED ILLEGAL?

At least give us an option to toggle this on and off. Why was this even needed?

They question of WHY is repeated intentionally.

I am happy for the mission fixes. Thank you for that. MISSIONS NOT FIXED

In the video below, take a retrevial mission, Mission says travel system I am in, but target is planet in another system? Travel to that system, travel to planet, POI spawns, retrieve item, mission updates, board SRV and MISSION RESETS as not completed. Pick up illegal item and warning message RESETS MISSION. Don't trust me? Watch the video. STILL BROKE

Yup, got this same issue once as well.

I have to believe a main issue with all the performance problems folks are reporting is simply memory usage. While one might say gee, you still have 10 GB of memory left between physical and virtual, it doesn't really work that way. This is a big memory swap problem for the OS to deal with. This also shows that all 12GB of my high speed Corsair DRAM is gone. The OS will not give up "all" of that memory as it requires a proportionate reserve. The fact is, this is the memory usage on a machine that handles Odyssey very well. I have 60-65 fps in all areas of play except cz's which can be near perfect or have a couple of stalls depending on what settlement is involved.
(Note: Of course the firefox+ED Discovery graphics also includes EDO being up as well).

1627909978038.png

Attachments

• 1627909695351.png
    1627909695351.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Unfortunately I can't remember for certain. I'd definitely have been docked at a station having been previously flying around various systems doing a mix of Odyssey missions and Space cargo trading, and I'd have exited to the menu then exited the game from the main menu ... but I can't remember now if I logged out from the concourse or my ship, or whether it was a surface or orbital station I was docked at.

That's the only time since Update 6 it's done it so far, and I don't think I did anything out of my normal missions+trade+flying routine that session.

Thanks for following up!

Thank YOU for following up :)
Yeah see, just for insight into what I'm doing with these (because they're really...tricky to nail).
SOMETHING is potentially sticking and causing the hang on exit...these could be the "things":
  • Entering the store at any point.
  • Changing a suit (I'm just entirely guessing here for suggestions haha!!).
  • Exiting game on foot.

If it happens again would you mind letting me know in a DM please? Just anything of like proper significance like this. Really appreciate it :)

Hellooo! Oh we've very much heard all of the fun requests for being able to sit down and such. Really really awesome ideas the team will definitely keep in mind - let's get a good grasp on the gameplay issues at hand in the immediate future and see where we go :)
Also...... pretty please with pink sugar on it.........

It would be nice if there were more non-psychopath options, so like Covert heist and Theft missions against criminal organisation were available, otherwise you (well, I) end up wasting a lot of scientists and other innocents when things sometimes go pear-shaped. I'd sooner be 007 than Jack the Ripper. :)

sallymorganmoore

UPDATE ON MISSING RESCUE SHIP:
So sorry about this (so very many messages hehe) BUT for those of you who tagged me about the missing rescue ship at Hyades Sector RO-P b6-6 :

Noted! On the case :)

sallymorganmoore

Also...... pretty please with pink sugar on it.........

It would be nice if there were more non-psychopath options, so like Covert heist and Theft missions against criminal organisation were available, otherwise you (well, I) end up wasting a lot of scientists and other innocents when things sometimes go pear-shaped. I'd sooner be 007 than Jack the Ripper. :)

That sounds like a good way to get out of having your own Netflix series for sure!!
In all seriousness, duly noted :)

I have to believe a main issue with all the performance problems folks are reporting is simply memory usage. While one might say gee, you still have 10 GB of memory left between physical and virtual, it doesn't really work that way. This is a big memory swap problem for the OS to deal with. This also shows that all 12GB of my high speed Corsair DRAM is gone. The OS will not give up "all" of that memory as it requires a proportionate reserve. The fact is, this is the memory usage on a machine that handles Odyssey very well. I have 60-65 fps in all areas of play except cz's which can be near perfect or have a couple of stalls depending on what settlement is involved.
(Note: Of course the firefox+ED Discovery graphics also includes EDO being up as well).

View attachment 254305
And mind you. I use win 7. If I used win10, I would need another GB Ram for 64-bit load alone and would also suffer poorer ram utlization by far as Win10 is a pig for memory utilization... I can tell you this from personal expierience, I would rather a semi-up to date PC with enough RAM over a state of the art server that is starved for RAM. You can forget about CPU and GPU capability, it wont help. I see these guyd/Gal;s on here with monster PCs but they have only 12-16 GB RAM. Based on what I seee, those win10 machinces will get toasted. Which why they are on here complaining. Everyone likes to talk about all this graphics lingo and expertise but are missing the obvious I think.

Last edited:
After yet another collection mission which was impossible to complete legally (being inside an access level 2 building), can I make a suggestion?

How about setting your native access level at a settlement to be dependent on your relationship with the owning faction?

Level 0 for neutral or cordial, level 1 for friendly, level 2 for allied. No legal level 3 as even allies shouldn't have access to the command centre or power centre (although you'd still get temporary level 3 for restore missions the way you already do).

Unfriendly gets a -1 access, they don't even trust you in their level 0 habitats. Hostile gets you shot on sight (presumably it already does).

Get caught somewhere you shouldn't be and it's a reputational hit same as any other action against a faction.

That sounds like a good way to get out of having your own Netflix series for sure!!
In all seriousness, duly noted :)
I appreciate that. It's quite a big deal for me, because I try and play the game immersively (which I think is what has always made Elite so special) and as a character that I can live with. And when you get a situation where your progress is severely slowed, unless you break character and start killing innocents left, right and centre...... well, you see the dilemma.

P.S. The game rocks - I've had very few problems from Alpha onwards, and with update 6 I've moved from 1270x768 to 1920x1080 at what seems like the same fps. Awesome work. :)

Hey @sallymorganmoore , put together a list of bugs related to lighting, game events, visual glitches, etc. in order of priority:

Lighting (major)
Outfitting
Gameplay and Events
Visual
Supercruise

Last edited:
Yup, weird things happen when you are running short on RAM. Events like changing or putting on a suit, an NPC ship descending, illumination issues, etc.... Bad things happen to graphics when memory is short and it usually ends up with one of two things - mixed up visual graphics that the user "thinks" is from the programing (but its really your own PC displacing video), or stall outs and kick-outs. Nobody gets it around here I guess.

Not sure if this belongs here or not.
I've been giving Odyssey with Patch 6 a try on Windows 11 Pro and here are few of my observations.
While in my ship FPS remained at 60 while GPU stayed in the 40 to 50 percentile range (better than Windows 10 where FPS would range from 19 to 120 during any situation and GPU would stay at 100% all the time).

In Windows 11 the only time my FPS would drop below 60 is when I would disembark on foot in a station. Then it would vary form 15 to around 45 and the GPU usage would jump to 90-100%. The only time the image would stutter would be on foot in a station.

I've also experienced a bug on ground based stations such as floating rocks on a landing pad.

I've only experienced one game crash while in Windows 11 and that was when I was clicking on something in one of the menus (can't remember what).

I'm not sure how useful this info is but overall the game seems to perform better on Windows 11 Pro than on Windows 10.

My system:
Gigabyte z590 UD motherboard
Intel I9 11700K processor
64GB RAM
1TB and 500GB SSD's
EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 graphics card

Not sure if this belongs here or not.
I've been giving Odyssey with Patch 6 a try on Windows 11 Pro and here are few of my observations.
While in my ship FPS remained at 60 while GPU stayed in the 40 to 50 percentile range (better than Windows 10 where FPS would range from 19 to 120 during any situation and GPU would stay at 100% all the time).

In Windows 11 the only time my FPS would drop below 60 is when I would disembark on foot in a station. Then it would vary form 15 to around 45 and the GPU usage would jump to 90-100%. The only time the image would stutter would be on foot in a station.

I've also experienced a bug on ground based stations such as floating rocks on a landing pad.

I've only experienced one game crash while in Windows 11 and that was when I was clicking on something in one of the menus (can't remember what).

I'm not sure how useful this info is but overall the game seems to perform better on Windows 11 Pro than on Windows 10.

My system:
Gigabyte z590 UD motherboard
Intel I9 11700K processor
64GB RAM
1TB and 500GB SSD's
EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 graphics card
The truth is - you have a monster modern PC but, also have the RAM to support it and SSD drives to support the H/S virtual accessing.... and have avoided the Win10 curse.

Sorry if anyone asked allready... What are the two new icons on the on-foot HUD, around the radar?
(Where the 'Wanted' warning sign is.)

sallymorganmoore

Hey @sallymorganmoore , put together a list of bugs related to lighting, game events, visual glitches, etc. in order of priority:

Lighting (major)
Outfitting
Gameplay and Events
Visual
Supercruise

Is it me or are you all becoming TOP LEVEL SALLY SUPPORT right now?!
Grabbed.
Just as gentle reminders - when I "grab" these things it doesn't 100% mean they'll be tackled immediately BUT I will be running around with them regardless. I worry people might think they will ALL GO INTO NEXT UPDATE if I say I'm on them - there are lots to consider at differing priorities so bear with me and us as we figure out how to sort things and where they sit at any point :) REALLY APPRECIATE THIS!!!

@sallymorganmoore

I highly recommend that you/frontier give us a PTR or Test Version possibility! We driving circles at the moment and there are more bugs generated than before and old bugs won´t be fixed. So please take this suggestion with you go to your team and brainstorm about it. It would be help much more as this issue tracker thing...

Heyo Cheerio! Got another one for you Sally,

When you are taking off FA off, the station throws you off the pad violently to the side as if you are not inheriting any sideways momentum at the point of release. This is different and much worse than how it operates in Horizons. On landing the pad also judders underneath you if you are in FA off and will often cause you to be knocked off course even if you are landing correctly. I have highlighted just the first issue for clarity and we are almost at the ten required cmdrs that can reproduce it so if anyone else also is having this issue, please add your voice.

- https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41272

Many Thankings @sallymorganmoore :)

My main performance issue is ED pegs a single core (of 12) at 100% for several seconds doing... I don't know what. My guess is something to do with fonts and textures as it's almost always first time in a map (definitely system, probably galaxy (don't see it as much there)), first time in a new area on a planet on-foot (and it's the HUD stuff that's stalled: once that's loaded, things are ok), entering a station concourse (not every time, though, but always the first time), and loading in-ship at a station (first time?).

I'm very confident it's not system memory (64GB). Otherwise, update 6 does seem to have been good for performance for me (nvidea 1080 with 8GB, running at 1920x1080 (when I checked today, 50-120fps on foot out in the black)).

Top Bottom