Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

Oh yes - i hadn’t noticed the frosting not appearing any more - this should be logged as a bug
It stll frosts but you can barely see it .. it's horrible. The frosting was a much loved feature. Even picked by David Braben as one of his favourites and yet instead of fixing the game or making it better, someone somewhere decided that they needed to waste time on removing/reducing something that was good! I really don't get their decision making process at times.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Oh I know it is tied to heat output, but I meant I’d like it to be a lot more significant, much more than it currently is. 🙂

Even if you put throttle to 0 you’re still plenty visible.
Depends on how many other modules you have running generating heat. But my Smuggling Krait can move at full throttle with 12% heat generation, I don't resolve on people's radars unless they get closer than ~500m. :)

The Legend that is Isinona!

He was a serious inspiration in my FA off life.. also whyyyyy does Elite look even better in some ways back then?!

I REALLY miss the proper frosting on the glass.. Odyssey's is terrible
@sallymorganmoore just look at the visible space dust that helps us FA off pilots find our vector in the video.. This has sadly been reduced badly in Odyssey, it looks so much better here and in Horizons.

Isinonas videos are just awesome. <3
That video is the one I used to show to everyone around the time it was released about how amazing Elite was :)

Oh yes - i hadn’t noticed the frosting not appearing any more - this should be logged as a bug
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41459 :)

tbf, even the frosting in Horizons is nothing like it used to be.
Kdri98Tl.jpg

Horizons now
MW0s3z8l.jpg

Odyssey now
WJgJOdvl.jpg

Depends on how many other modules you have running generating heat. But my Smuggling Krait can move at full throttle with 12% heat generation, I don't resolve on people's radars unless they get closer than ~500m. :)

That video is the one I used to show to everyone around the time it was released about how amazing Elite was :)

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41459 :)

tbf, even the frosting in Horizons is nothing like it used to be.
Kdri98Tl.jpg

Horizons now
MW0s3z8l.jpg

Odyssey now
WJgJOdvl.jpg
Thanks for those pic comparisons.. I really hope Sally sees that, it's really quite damning, also look into the chieftain if you want a nice cold running ship too.. i mean for a medium.. i think mine was running around 14% with a bump shield!

Depends on how many other modules you have running generating heat. But my Smuggling Krait can move at full throttle with 12% heat generation, I don't resolve on people's radars unless they get closer than ~500m.

Perhaps I’m not explaining myself properly. I do understand the current mechanic and the relationship between your ship’s internal temperature reading and your sensor signature.

What I’m saying is that it would be nice if it was tied to your thruster output in a much more significant way so that using fa-off with minimal thruster output would make you very stealthy.

Right now, the engine output increases your internal ship heat and that’s what is actually affecting your signature on sensors. This allows you to run your Krait at full throttle while generating only 12% internal heat and remain near invisible. That should not be the case.

Running full throttle should be lighting you up like a Christmas tree, regardless of how well your ship can manage that heat from building up internally. The ship’s internal heat would be insignificant compared to the heat from the thrust being ejected into space while they are running at full throttle anyways. Sensors would be picking up that massive signature, not the little bit that’s given off passively by your heat sinks.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Perhaps I’m not explaining myself properly. I do understand the current mechanic and the relationship between your ship’s internal temperature reading and your sensor signature.

What I’m saying is that it would be nice if it was tied to your thruster output in a much more significant way so that using fa-off with minimal thruster output would make you very stealthy.

Right now, the engine output increases your internal ship heat and that’s what is actually affecting your signature on sensors. This allows you to run your Krait at full throttle while generating only 12% internal heat and remain near invisible. That should not be the case.

Running full throttle should be lighting you up like a Christmas tree, regardless of how well your ship can manage that heat from building up internally. The ship’s internal heat would be insignificant compared to the heat from the thrust being ejected into space while they are running at full throttle anyways. Sensors would be picking up that massive signature, not the little bit that’s given off passively by your heat sinks.
Yeah I understand that, and I wouldn't be against it at all. Anything to get heat levels/generation back to how it was around launch :)

It is worth mentioning on a side note that I have done a medium amount of low emissions/cold running engineering to my Krait to get it at that level.

Sorry can not find anything about it can anyone tell me what today's downtime was about? Have they even said anything? NVM that found it. Sorry :p

At least fighter pilot is still crazy with the chatter. I bet turret targeting hasn't been fixed either - if your target releases an SLF often times turrets stop shooting the target. Hope this is on the fix-list too. Pretty bad bug.

Well, at least they're trying and listening. That's most important. I really hope they managed to remove the holding down of E :)

Last edited:
Sorry can not find anything about it can anyone tell me what today's downtime was about? Have they even said anything?

At least fighter pilot is still crazy with the chatter. I bet turret targeting hasn't been fixed either - if your target releases an SLF often times turrets stop shooting the target. Hope this is on the fix-list too. Pretty bad bug.
New patch out

But yea SLF banter is still crazy.... but at least point defenses seem to work again; on Conda that has four seems pirates haven't managed to get cargo now. Which they took previously, at a rate of 10-20 tons per hour when hunting the nav beacon - often 5 tons at a time, even with the ' 4 pd's.... Very glad if this has been fixed, point defenses became close to useless previously.

Also still having to use task manager to kill the process when the game has been running for a longer time. Still not fixed well enough.

I'll get back with the turrets not firing issue I mentioned in my previous post on the previous page if there's a need for it

Last edited:
At the minute I'm finding it suuuuuuuuuper productive actually, because I've been able to really get personally stuck in with you all on this conversation style level, finding out more about how systems need to be adapted in the future to help more with this, PLUS learning more about legacy issues still present and new ones causing muddles.

If we're talking more "sustainable" as oppose to "counter productive" - that's where it bites the biscuit. Although this is FANTASTIC team work had with you all, I'm seeing steady increases of 100+ notifications a day now of personal tags and each Commander raising their awesome findings. In line with this there is still a workload to be done away from social for all of us to line up in the week.
This isn't a "Thursday is a Sally day" thing anymore, with Zac also needing to keep a constant eye too.
This IS great but I worry I could drop something and disappoint the masses. I don't ever wanna do that.
This is why I can absolutely confirm we're championing for improvement with issue tracking and such for sure - it's just taking time, as with everything :)
SoonTM.

:D S

New patch out

Yup I know, that's what I was referring to; SLF pilot banter is still crazy. Saying no more targets while firing upon targets. That came with 6.0 btw.

Oh wait, there's yet another patch! Great!

The Neutron Stars really did get another good going over with Update 6 didn't they! They're pretty intense now

jN9Cmv6h.jpg

They seem to be back up to the standard we were familiar with in Horizons yes. Planets in those systems (I've only experienced white dwarfs so far) are now completely black from the 1st person view now though. The External camera shows the dimly lit terrain so hopefully just the Odd variable brightness doing it's oddness and not a new bug.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
They seem to be back up to the standard we were familiar with in Horizons yes. Planets in those systems (I've only experienced white dwarfs so far) are now completely black from the 1st person view now though. The External camera shows the dimly lit terrain so hopefully just the Odd variable brightness doing it's oddness and not a new bug.
They have never had that level of brightness from the centre before. White Dwarf stars have always had a brighter central core to them and the bright band you can see going horizontally across the screen in the shot above is something that's only really been strong in WDs. I've not visited a White Dwarf star yet, or landed on a planet, but I've not had any issues seeing planets from the cockpit while mapping them.

Will or have you fixed the Joystick mapping between Horizons and Odyssey? As Odyssey rewrites my saved horizons Thrustmaster Flightx joystick mapping? I would like the same in both!

Will or have you fixed the Joystick mapping between Horizons and Odyssey? As Odyssey rewrites my saved horizons Thrustmaster Flightx joystick mapping? I would like the same in both!
Odd, I had no trouble with JS mappings between the two (except the few times I went back to H to fix a stuck situation)

Mother of GOD, all my binds are gone AGAIN. I spent the better part of a month tweaking everything and now it's GONE.
That can be caused by hardware described in the binds file is not currently on line. Make sure all your defined joystick/throttle/rudder pedals etc are connected. If not any binds file listing missing hardware won't show as available in ED.

HTH

Also check your StartPreset file

EDO - 4 entries

EDH - one entry

That can be caused by hardware described in the binds file is not currently on line. Make sure all your defined joystick/throttle/rudder pedals etc are connected. If not any binds file listing missing hardware won't show as available in ED.

HTH

Also check your StartPreset file

EDO - 4 entries

EDH - one entry
Ah, that could be it. Checked my devices, and my joystick isn't listed anymore (for some reason).
If I reconnect it, will it restore my binds?

Top Bottom