Elite Dangerous Odyssey: Update 8.01 Notes

There's a bug on the surface view:

i was looking for an APEX drop point and when i zoomed on the planet i was able to rotate this view:
SPF-LF 1(The Pillar of Fortitude)_2021-11-08_21-53-15.jpg

SPF-LF 1(The Pillar of Fortitude)_2021-11-08_21-53-20.jpg

Anyone else experienced a 100% crash rate on settlement conflict zones since update 8? I cannot go more than 5 minutes without a crash. Tried multiple systems, multiple settlements. Still need to drop my Ultra settings down to Low. Performance is no better for me since the update and now I cannot even do the conflict zones. Really want this stuff to get figured out, just want to be able to play some Elite =/.

Anyone else experienced a 100% crash rate on settlement conflict zones since update 8? I cannot go more than 5 minutes without a crash. Tried multiple systems, multiple settlements. Still need to drop my Ultra settings down to Low. Performance is no better for me since the update and now I cannot even do the conflict zones. Really want this stuff to get figured out, just want to be able to play some Elite =/.
I had an evening when that happened after 8.01 - every single time I entered or reentered a high CZ, I'd crash before I could finish the CZ. Sometimes it was within the first few minutes, others when it got to "the remaining enemies are on their own, wipe them out" phase. (Honestly dunno why I kept going back in!)

Have to say though, hasn't happened to me since the latest "anti-stutter" patch was deployed.

I had an evening when that happened after 8.01 - every single time I entered or reentered a high CZ, I'd crash before I could finish the CZ. Sometimes it was within the first few minutes, others when it got to "the remaining enemies are on their own, wipe them out" phase. (Honestly dunno why I kept going back in!)

Have to say though, hasn't happened to me since the latest "anti-stutter" patch was deployed.

One would only guess that the real reason behind this "navmesh for AI path-walk causing stuttering and crashes" would be actually AVX-512 instructions which are basically used for particle movement prediction. Most CPUs have it half-implemented, others have to break it down to AVX or AVX2 to be processed, hence stuttering.

Fontier would have to manually change code and recompile everything having only AVX tops. I'm also guessing that Horizons was using only SSE instruction set... this is why any average toaster can run it well. Not sure console CPUs can handle AVX eigther.

I had to downclock my CPU by 0.1GHz to stop the crashing... originally I tested it only with AVX/AVX2 and it was fine. Never expected any game to go for AVX-512 (which was failing some benchmark testing). After downclocking a little bit, everything is fine.

Cheers!

I ended up having two runs that didn't kill out on me. Now back to crashing constantly. Oh well, I suppose I'll need to wait for Update 9 and hope for the best.

Hm, what 2 do wuth new engineer? (Baltanos) Landed on the base, opening engineer workshop. Standard remote engineering window with ship modules shown! What 2 do? Received an advice to unpin all the blueprints. Unpin button nort active even in Horizons. Perfect. Engineer is visible and landable, but nothing else....
I second this. The engineer profile says I need to deliver 10 faction associates data.
What is faction associates data and how do I collect it?

I second this. The engineer profile says I need to deliver 10 faction associates data.
What is faction associates data and how do I collect it?

Strange place to ask, the update 8 thread. Probably best just asking in whatever discord you are in or as a new thread. Or even easier, just check Inara.

Faction associates is a type of data that can be downloaded from HAB data ports. IIRC its not illegal to download this type of data, but could be wrong. If it is illegal and the base isn't empty, you need turn off the settlement's alarms first.

IIRC its fairly common, shouldn't take you too long just grabbing them organically while doing missions, especially things like power restore missions or similar where you have the run of the base. Otherwise its time to get sneaky.

If you want to grind them, look for a base with lots of HAB data ports, so lots of HAB buildings and a bar. Bedi Inn in Fullerenes C60 (not that that helps you if youre in colonia) has 6 Hab data ports and anarchy, so you can go crazy there. But there are plenty of such places.

Either way, look for missions to tourist settlements.

Hmm... according to the Odyssey Material Helper they can also be found at CMD data ports as well.

Strange place to ask, the update 8 thread. Probably best just asking in whatever discord you are in or as a new thread. Or even easier, just check Inara.

Faction associates is a type of data that can be downloaded from HAB data ports. IIRC its not illegal to download this type of data, but could be wrong. If it is illegal and the base isn't empty, you need turn off the settlement's alarms first.

IIRC its fairly common, shouldn't take you too long just grabbing them organically while doing missions, especially things like power restore missions or similar where you have the run of the base. Otherwise its time to get sneaky.

If you want to grind them, look for a base with lots of HAB data ports, so lots of HAB buildings and a bar. Bedi Inn in Fullerenes C60 (not that that helps you if youre in colonia) has 6 Hab data ports and anarchy, so you can go crazy there. But there are plenty of such places.

Either way, look for missions to tourist settlements.

Hmm... according to the Odyssey Material Helper they can also be found at CMD data ports as well.
I just searched for Baltanos, and that was the first relevant post I found. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom