Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update | Fix For Noticable Reports Of Performance 'Stuttering' at Settlements and POIs

• Nav-mesh was being built around all of the many, many rocks on planet surfaces (expensive ask, that!), but as settlement AI never leave their settlement posts, there's no need for nav-mesh generation out of their patrol boundaries.
It only took you guys 6 months to realise about this.

Good job, Frontier!

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Sadly, this is not, strictly speaking, true. Mobs in settlements have been observed to wander off several times, eventually leaving contacts sensor range.

They might not be intended to leave, perhaps.
Ok so this is a different issue actually and one I found out late into the evening and didn't update here. Oops!
They SHOULDN'T wander off, but there is another mesh issue here which the team are digging into with those instances where they wonder off.
But yes, they shouldn't.

sallymorganmoore

I'm hoping this solves the issues where the NPC spawn and just stand (and react if you get close). Maybe the nav mesh is failing to build so they get stuck? We will see - just getting rid of the stutter will be great :)
Sadly not!

Check out the known issues and the bit where I say:
  • This is a fix to SPECIFICALLY TACKLE THE STUTTERING.
and
  • NPCs either freezing up, refusing to capture points or just all out not behaving as expected during CZ.
    • Investigations continue. HIGH PRIORITY.

Excellent!

Also great to now see the 5+ INF missions in the known issues list. That's the one that has been... bugging... me. Not sure it's just a display issue as completed missions don't mention the INF in the journal either, so very important for those taking an interest in the BGS.

Keep up the good work - it is very much appreciated!

sallymorganmoore

Excellent!

Also great to now see the 5+ INF missions in the known issues list. That's the one that has been... bugging... me. Not sure it's just a display issue as completed missions don't mention the INF in the journal either, so very important for those taking an interest in the BGS.

Keep up the good work - it is very much appreciated!
Thank you for reading the known issues list 🥲 :ROFLMAO:

Oh, thought you meant you were in it.
Let's see in this specific instance. It may be that was more related to the current regular performance issues as oppose to this specific issue.
We'll see indeed. Either way, I do appreciate addressing the issue! Ideally the mesh could be expanded on demand, based on where characters approach, and calculate in small pieces regulated by things like the terrain work setting, but identifying what holds things up is a good start.

sallymorganmoore

We'll see indeed. Either way, I do appreciate addressing the issue! Ideally the mesh could be expanded on demand, based on where characters approach, and calculate in small pieces regulated by things like the terrain work setting, but identifying what holds things up is a good start.
Imagine!
This is game dev not miracle land on Elite sadly, haha. We'll continue to look at more possibilities to refine how the sytem works moving forward though. All part of the excitement.

sallymorganmoore

Nice. I'm deep in the black, but on my way back, so I'll be able to try it out (and also see if it makes any difference out in the beyond).
Remember this isn't a global performance fix, as I say :)
This is JUST for the on foot settlement stuttering with NPCs and exciting things like that.

Travel safe far out there, Commander!!!

Top Bottom