Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update | Fix For Noticable Reports Of Performance 'Stuttering' at Settlements and POIs

Hi, Sally,
Please thank the team for the fix. I really, really, really like the detailed explanation equally :) . If possible, please give us such info in future fixes, if time and space allows it.

I don't have much time to play this week, but I'm looking forward to visiting settlements. o7

//
Glad to see some performance fixes being rolled out. Fingers crossed for more good fixes.
//
Screenshot_1480.jpg

Sadly, this is not, strictly speaking, true. Mobs in settlements have been observed to wander off several times, eventually leaving contacts sensor range.

They might not be intended to leave, perhaps.

Well now they'll hit the rocks and come to a shootable dead stop, so it's all good.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Hi, Sally,
Please thank the team for the fix. I really, really, really like the detailed explanation equally :) . If possible, please give us such info in future fixes, if time and space allows it.

I don't have much time to play this week, but I'm looking forward to visiting settlements. o7

I'm so glad to hear!!
When I can, I absolutely always will, I promise.

And, as per always, black screen lockup on exit after getting system messages (just about the only times it happens for me).
Same here. If you're online when you see a server shutdown message your client will hang at the black screen on exit 100% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter if you exit straight to desktop, or go back to the menu first. It's the only time I hang on exit anymore (touches wood).

The Issue:
  • Commanders have been noticing progressively more, that during settlement and general on-foot interactions a sudden "stutter" in performance occurs.

Results from Investigation:
"Nav-mesh: An area that allows AI to "plan" sensible routes around their location in game, according to their designated destination".
  • Nav-mesh was being built around all of the many, many rocks on planet surfaces (expensive ask, that!), but as settlement AI never leave their settlement posts, there's no need for nav-mesh generation out of their patrol boundaries.

The Fix:
  • Removing the rocks from the navmesh generation in this instance stops a situation where the game was "stuttering" in order to catch up with this mass coverage.
I appreciate this detailed "behind the scene" explanation in the patch notes. Thank you.

Top Bottom