Elite Dangerous on Xbox Series X [Video]

Hello CMDRs,

As a games journalist / blogger I had the privilege to participate in Microsoft's Xbox Series X review process, thus I had the chance to play Elite Dangerous on the new console (which I do almost every day anyway). Now that the review embargo has lifted I'd like to post a short summary here. Yes, Elite Dangerous is fully playable on Series X|S, and everything works just like on Xbox One consoles. But the game gets a huge performance boost thanks to the new console.

Load times

Know that black screen with the four rectangles in the lower left corner that first appears when you start the game? On Series X it stays on for 3-4 seconds at most. The rectangles basically "light up" only once and disappear before the startup logos appear.

Load times on Series X (from the game menu into the game):
  • When in space or docked at a space station: ~8 seconds
  • When docked at a surface settlement: ~13 seconds
Performance

This is where it gets interesting. Elite gets a huge performance boost. The framerate of the game is unlocked (60 fps max) but we know how much it struggles on Xbox One, even the X model, especially in 4K modes. Now, on Series X it's finally possible to play the game at a near locked 60 fps in 4K/Quality mode, and basically a full, locked 60 fps in all circumstances in 4K/Performance mode.

In 4K/Quality, I encountered some stuttering while entering the mail slot (probably due to the lots of alpha effects), and more struggle at and around surface settlements. Otherwise the game is more or less smooth, definitely smoother than any graphics mode or resolution on the Xbox One X.

In this video the game is running in 4K/Quality mode. This is how it looks arriving at a space station. (Note: The video is a 1080p capture only but the game is running at 4K/Quality setting.)

In this second video the game is running in 4K/Performance mode, and I went to a surface station to see how much performance drops. It doesn't. (Again, the video capture is 1080p only.)

Edit: One more video, this time some combat in 4K/Performance mode. This mode is completely stable, I could not perceive any kind of slowdown no matter what I did in the game. 4K/Quality mode does struggle during combat, so I definitely recommend using 4K/Performance for the smoothest experience.

I basically couldn't make the game drop frames visibly while playing in 4K/Performance mode. Driving an SRV near settlements, Quality mode struggles but Performance doesn't. I haven't even tried the 1080p modes because I guess the Series X is an overkill for those.

In short, Elite Dangerous works like a charm on Series X and even in 4K it runs incomparably better than on the previous generation of consoles. All this without the developers having to do anything. I can imagine further optimization could be done, but as it is, it's still utterly fantastic. I've never seen Elite being so smooth on console and it's a joy to play like this.

Last edited:
Now, on Series X it's finally possible to play the game at a near locked 60 fps in 4K/Quality mode, and basically a full, locked 60 fps in all circumstances in 4K/Performance mode.

Someone mentioned that there is a bug where 4K quality mode actually behaves as 4K Performance mode - do you think this is correct?

Someone mentioned that there is a bug where 4K quality mode actually behaves as 4K Performance mode - do you think this is correct?

Given the framerate difference between the two, I don't think this is an issue on Series X. "Performance" mode visibly performs much better in some instances than "Quality" mode, especially around surface sites, barnacle sites, etc. "Quality" can struggle in these places while "Performance" remains smooth all the way. So I'm sure there's a graphics difference. Also, planetary surface does change with the two modes so it does seem like it works as intended here.

I have various doubts

How is the loading time with the orange ship turning

Once the elite logo comes out and tells you press A, it keeps coming out 'loading game'

The jumps between systems have improved?

Loading the game from the menu from the surface of a planet improved?

edit: Since I give it to enter elite from the dashboard until I am in jameson memorial 1:54sec, I jump as fast as I can the cinematics with the 'menu' button

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Hello CMDRs,

As a games journalist / blogger I had the privilege to participate in Microsoft's Xbox Series X review process, thus I had the chance to play Elite Dangerous on the new console (which I do almost every day anyway). Now that the review embargo has lifted I'd like to post a short summary here. Yes, Elite Dangerous is fully playable on Series X|S, and everything works just like on Xbox One consoles. But the game gets a huge performance boost thanks to the new console.

Load times

Know that black screen with the four rectangles in the lower left corner that first appears when you start the game? On Series X it stays on for 3-4 seconds at most. The rectangles basically "light up" only once and disappear before the startup logos appear.

Performance

This is where it gets interesting. Elite gets a huge performance boost. The framerate of the game is unlocked (60 fps max) but we know how much it struggles on Xbox One, even the X model, especially in 4K modes. Now, on Series X it's finally possible to play the game at a near locked 60 fps in 4K/Quality mode, and basically a full, locked 60 fps in all circumstances in 4K/Performance mode.

In 4K/Quality, I encountered some stuttering while entering the mail slot (probably due to the lots of alpha effects), and more struggle at and around surface settlements. Otherwise the game is more or less smooth, definitely smoother than any graphics mode or resolution on the Xbox One X.

In this video the game is running in 4K/Quality mode. This is how it looks arriving at a space station. (Note: The video is a 1080p capture only but the game is running at 4K/Quality setting.)

In this second video the game is running in 4K/Performance mode, and I went to a surface station to see how much performance drops. It doesn't. (Again, the video capture is 1080p only.)

I basically couldn't make the game drop frames visibly while playing in 4K/Performance mode. Driving an SRV near settlements, Quality mode struggles but Performance doesn't. I haven't even tried the 1080p modes because I guess the Series X is an overkill for those.

In short, Elite Dangerous works like a charm on Series X and even in 4K it runs incomparably better than on the previous generation of consoles. All this without the developers having to do anything. I can imagine further optimization could be done, but as it is, it's still utterly fantastic. I've never seen Elite being so smooth on console and it's a joy to play like this.
Silly question but does this backward compatibility also apply to ED Odyssey?

as in will the expansion work as well? should do as its based on the game (code/engine) that does work
I believe it would have to be a conscious effort by FDev to not make it work

unless they over hall the game from the ground up when Odyssey is released?

I have various doubts

How is the loading time with the orange ship turning

Once the elite logo comes out and tells you press A, it keeps coming out 'loading game'

The jumps between systems have improved?

Loading the game from the menu from the surface of a planet improved?

edit: Since I give it to enter elite from the dashboard until I am in jameson memorial 1:54sec, I jump as fast as I can the cinematics with the 'menu' button

I posted some loading times in the first post. The "orange ship turning" loading screen is 8-13 seconds, depending on where your ship is situated at. All loading times are improved. Hyperjumps are the same because they don't depend on storage, they're a preset animation, I guess to make exploration a level playing field between all players. I see the same jump times on PC, too.

can you check the first video from OP - the one with the Cutter on approach to station - there is an camera view around mark 0:30 - can you confirm?

I just checked the vid and can confirm that there's no heat blur behind the engines.
The "air" behind the engine is supposed to move and blur from the heat when you're in quality setting, it doesn't, it did prior to the initial FC update.

Great. The rough anti-aliasing is not noticeable anymore. I still hope for ray tracing support.

Can you please check the load time between space and landing on a planet? How fast is hyperspace travel between systems?

Great. The rough anti-aliasing is not noticeable anymore. I still hope for ray tracing support.

Can you please check the load time between space and landing on a planet? How fast is hyperspace travel between systems?

Hyperspace travel between systems is exactly the same, I suspect it doesn't depend on loading or storage, it's a set animation sequence. Landing on a planet is roughly the same as before, maybe a little faster to jump from supercruise to glide, but nothing major.

Hyperjumps are the same because they don't depend on storage, they're a preset animation, I guess to make exploration a level playing field between all players. I see the same jump times on PC, too.
Yeah, it's the same as the disappointment for anyone who was hoping Mass Effect's lifts might have sped up, when they were designed with a preset length to mask the loading time off a DVD. Gotta wait for that rumoured next-gen ME Trilogy remaster for that XD

Hello CMDRs,

Load times

Performance

Excellent, thanks for sharing!

I remember being impressed with how quick the One-X patch rolled out for ED and was a bit disappointed that no Series-X patch was on the horizon. Nice to see I'll be able to blow up Feds and urm, haul biowaste at 4k/60fps.

Hopefully the visual bug with 4k Quality = 4K performance is truly gone on Series X, and on One X as well at some point, that bug has been in the game for far too long and I was wondering if we had to wait until Odyssey for a fix.

It would be nice to see FDEV rollout a patch to take full advantage of the Series X's hardware, and the Series S as well. That little 1080p monster blows away the original Xbox One which I started playing this game on.

Top Bottom