Elite Dangerous - Tritium Efficiency Update

I don't admire you dictating your acceptance of Elite by design when the game has zero respect for our time. There will come a time in life when a few seconds more will be the most valued thing to us when dying by a loved one. To sit and bang on about the time sink in Elite as if it is glorious is silly because the game has some of the absolute worst time sinks by design, and for me, despite being a major player of the game, I certainly don't gloat about it as if it is something good.

Mining for fuel is a disgusting primary design. It should be an option, not a requirement in places where markets cannot tend to your needs. There has to be a greater solution offered, so stop playing into the company's laziness.

"Dictating", I just wrote how I play the game, stating i'm enjoying it, so that means I've implied it's the only way to play it, obviously.

Oh and the part about the game "having to respect our time" cause you could die at any second, wow, you have such a positive mind !

Now, what do you think is the most plausible here :
  • Fdev is selling tons of games for decades but they clearly don't know how to make and design games
  • Elite isn't made just for you so it's ok to not like some stuff in it and go play something else

Do you know why the game is still very active and with more unique players playing it per day now that the previous years ?
Cause the vast majority enjoys the game very much as it is and keeps playing it.

They're not sheep accepting "all the crap fdev is doing" as I've read in these forums. They're legit enjoying it a lot. I know I am.

The fact that you and others don't like some of the choices Fdev made doesn't mean they're bad choices, it just means that maybe Elite isn't made just for you, and you don't like some aspects of it.

But surprise, one game can't be perfect for everyone, we all have different expectations, and that's why there's so many games out there.

Try out X4, Star Citizen, No man's Sky, Everspace (and the second one if/when it's out) or Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, for example. Tell us how it went.

That would clearly be a better use of the last weeks/days/hours/minutes/seconds of your life than ranting about stuff you don't like in a game you're still playing for some reason despite it having the worst time sinks and zero respect of your time as you put it yourself.

Enjoying this.

ezgif-7-1cdbbad90ca1.gif

I don't admire you dictating your acceptance of Elite by design when the game has zero respect for our time.

You dont really get to complain about time in a game or any other activity that is supposed to be entertaining.
All such activities are time sinks.
If you get fun in return, the goal was achieved. If not, do something else that is fun and it is worth your time.

Let's say you're in Colonia. You can buy tritium at 200k/ ton, or you can mine it, to forge on deeper into the galaxy.

Mining rates
Currently between 100-150t/ hr. This depends on a few factors, RNG/ roll and overlapping tritium hotspots. A lot of those fortunate to be mining known, popular Sol locations (overlapping), like to comment that they can do 150+. This is not realistic out in the black. At least I have yet found one. Most commonly? 100-120t are my rates...sometimes slower! If after an hour I have only amassed something like 80t? I'm out of there and off to another hole. [Insert more time]

Time to locate a Tritium hotspot
This brings me to locating said tritium hotspot.
I find I jump to about 5-8 systems before I find one with "a" ringed gas giant...and much of the time it may not be icy ringed, or only have a portion of its ring icy. I found limiting my searches to red dfwarf star types to be best. Similarly I may jump to about 10-15 before I find one with an icy ring which contains a tritium hotspot. I'll jump until I find at least two or three systems and compare hotspots and test their rolls and stick with the better of the two. There's time wasted here as well. Again, I may not find out until I've spent an hour at one and have only amassed under 80t. In which case I'll then call that one failed and move to the other. If the same results there I'll locate a 3rd option. I find tritium hotspot which at least overlap another hotspot type are better...even if the tritium hotspot itself is tiny, or half off the edge of the ring.

Given the above...
At the above mining rates, should you not wish to pay for the tritium, or find yourself stuck out in the black and in taking the slightly more optimistic rate of about 120t/ hr, you're mining time, for 10,000 tons is about 84 hours. To put that into perspective I have historically likened this to beating the Witcher 3's 60 hour campaign with moderate side questing and diversion, but overall sticking to the general storyline.

It is clear that this is not the intended way to rely on tritium resupply...for the solo player. It is clear that this is still a residual of the original carrier "winged only" concept...and is probably why we're not just scooping it, like we do in our ships. Tritium is more efficiently gathered from stars than rocks. The life span of tiritum would not allow for it to be stored very long, or abundantly, in the latter.

I found limiting my searches to red dfwarf star types to be best.
M0 single star with C index in name will have giants/rings with 90% probability (if star didn't lose planets in collision or so).
T0/T1 stars will have icy rings close to star if any. If I want tritium I prefer to check couple T0.

10,000 tons is about 84 hours.

1500 ly/hr * 84 = 126000ly.
It is faster to get back to bubble from any point for recharge. Initial fuel load should be planned so too.

At the above mining rates, should you not wish to pay for the tritium, or find yourself stuck out in the black and in taking the slightly more optimistic rate of about 120t/ hr, you're mining time, for 10,000 tons is about 84 hours. To put that into perspective I have historically likened this to beating the Witcher 3's 60 hour campaign with moderate side questing and diversion, but overall sticking to the general storyline.

That maybe true but my understanding is you can get from the Bubble to Colonia on just 3,000 ton. My carrier costs me around 75ton a jump. I can mine almost double that in one hour.

So where has this 10,000 ton number come from?

Out in the black as you say, if you're just drifting, exploring. Then you jump the 500ly. Do maybe one or two hours mining, cover the last and next jump in one go. Then you could spend days, possibly weeks (depending on location) investigating the surrounding systems without jumping your carrier once. Then repeat.

It is clear that this is not the intended way to rely on tritium resupply...for the solo player. It is clear that this is still a residual of the original carrier "winged only" concept...and is probably why we're not just scooping it, like we do in our ships. Tritium is more efficiently gathered from stars than rocks. The life span of tiritum would not allow for it to be stored very long, or abundantly, in the latter.

Prepare for all the, "but they doubled the efficiency!" - Great if you actually have tritium. Absolutely bloody useless if you don't.

That maybe true but my understanding is you can get from the Bubble to Colonia on just 3,000 ton. My carrier costs me around 75ton a jump. I can mine almost double that in one hour.

So where has this 10,000 ton number come from?

Out in the black as you say, if you're just drifting, exploring. Then you jump the 500ly. Do maybe one or two hours mining, cover the last and next jump in one go. Then you could spend days, possibly weeks (depending on location) investigating the surrounding systems without jumping your carrier once. Then repeat.

Nowhere near! I'm out around 7000LY and that took just shy of 2000T - I'm less than 1/3 of the way to Colonia.

Just for the record, I based my sums on what this fella says, he knows his stuff.

You only need a shipyard and outfitting if you plan to bring passengers with modules and extra ships. Fuel burn will be around 3400 tonnes, unless you are hauling a huge amount of cargo to Colonia, then expect a max fuel burn of 5500 tonnes. You can sell the shipyard and outfitting and get all your credits back on arrival.

9000 yet to bubble from Colonia, already spent 2000+ close to 3000.
. Do maybe one or two hours mining, cover the last and next jump in one go. Then you could spend days, possibly weeks (depending on location) investigating the surrounding systems without jumping your carrier once. Then repeat.
In such way you don't need a carrier. Carrier is needed at end points far-far away to do impossible jumps.

Top Bottom