Elite Dangerous | Update 18.06 | Thargoid War overhaul |Tuesday 28 May 2024

For me personally I would have preferred a channel that goes into the titan in which you have to navigate under fire and then shoot the hearts deep in the titan rather than a mechanic that seems to be just a rehashed interceptor variant. Surely something as big as a space station should be much more defended 🤔

Good question, I'm doing other stuff till Thargsday at least.
Currently people seem intent on sticking to the Indra plan, or at least to have a go at it. Which, depending on the modalities of the rebalance, might just make taking it out easier, rather than being (overly) reliant on the dodgy spire positioning of the Titan.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is it how bees sleep in the winter? Do you remember Saimak's story (I think it was him) when a man covered an anthill with a hood?
You said masochism doesn't exist in nature. So before you wander off the point too much, that was what I was responding to. As humans we can be masochists, sadists and everything inbetween. Which means that if those qualities don't exist in "nature" that we have transcended it somewhat, which of course we have. The Thargoids have also transcended mere "nature" in that respect, they are bio mechanical so like us they have taken a hand in their own evolution and not sat there merely reacting to their environment, therefore we can't rule out that they could have the full range of thoughts we have, or some equivalent. Actually I'm hoping they are more intelligent than humans, it wouldn't be difficult.

Last edited:
Heya, sorry if this has already been asked in this thread already; But are bonds that are currently not redeemed in transactions going to be affected by the price changes? I have a bunch of Orthrus bonds that haven't been redeemed yet. I want to know if I should redeem them before Tuesday or if I'm safe to wait.

You're a talking monkey flying through space on a giant rock.
Yes yes, and if you go further we're fish who learned how to walk. Please observe what the post was specifically responding to before dragging it further out of context than it already has been.

That's something you don't see in "nature" too. Creatures endlessly arguing about trivia or trying to spin a point as another point entirely. :)

Last edited:
I’m sure it will. Why would the thread become irrelevant?

The plans, on the other hand, may change.
This. Moreover, despite the changes on Tuesday some of the logistics will remain, such as Indra always being able to put out all its Alerts. The difference may be in how we deal with them but that fundamental property will remain and continue to be a strategic consideration.

Last edited:
Heya, sorry if this has already been asked in this thread already; But are bonds that are currently not redeemed in transactions going to be affected by the price changes? I have a bunch of Orthrus bonds that haven't been redeemed yet. I want to know if I should redeem them before Tuesday or if I'm safe to wait.
You have earned value X in bonds. The number of Thargs dispatched to get that amount, or what exactly they were (Orthrus, Clops, Scouts, etc) I do not expect that matters. One something is a bond, it is just $$$. You could try opening a support ticket and ask FDev directly if you wanted to.

After the patch any new Thargs will give the new amounts as bonds.

I cashed in my bonds for attacking Hadad already. But I plan to be doing some Orthrus activity tomorrow at a spire site, and I will be finding out as well, as I will purposely leave the bonds un cashed in until after the patch.

For me personally I would have preferred a channel that goes into the titan in which you have to navigate under fire and then shoot the hearts deep in the titan rather than a mechanic that seems to be just a rehashed interceptor variant. Surely something as big as a space station should be much more defended 🤔
That is probably too close to the IP of LucasFilm or Disney to take a chance on.

Greetings Commanders!

Following player feedback and internal reviews of the Thargoid War and Titan progression, we are making a number of significant changes.

These changes are designed to make the war more accessible, and ensure that every contribution at any time feels valuable.

These changes will take effect with the release of 18.06 on Tuesday 28th May.

Release Schedule

• 08:00 BST - Live/4.0 Servers offline for update
  • 12:00 BST - Servers Online and Update available
Please note that these times are subject to change.

War Contribution & Bounty Changes

Whilst numerous gameplay options are available to contribute to the war effort, certain gameplay loops have proven more efficient than others - with scout sampling a clear outlier.

To ensure that all types of gameplay are impactful on the war, every gameplay action has been reviewed; Combat in particular should now be a much more viable way to beat back the Thargoid threat.

• War contribution values have been rebalanced for all actions and the following actions have received significant boosts:
    • All combat actions (e.g. destroying interceptors and Anti Xeno Combat Zones)
    • Hunting Orthrus in alert systems
    • Spire sabotage actions
    • All mission types
    • All rescue operations
  • Combat bonds have been adjusted for the following Thargoid ships:
    • Cyclops 6,500,000 → 8,000,000
    • Basilisk 20,000,000 → 24,000,000
    • Medusa 34,000,000 → 40,000,000
    • Hydra 50,000,000 → 60,000,000
    • Orthrus 40,000,000 → 15,000,000
System Difficulty Changes

Previously, system difficulty became exponentially higher the closer a system is to a Titan, so systems very close to Titans could be extremely challenging to take.

This often made it very difficult to weaken the Titan to a highly vulnerable state by taking those last controlled systems.

This change aims to ensure that system difficulty remains consistent, and additionally, that all systems can be contested without Spire assistance or stockpiling samples.

• System difficulty is now linear with respect to distance from a Titan
  • All system scores have been re-balanced using the new war contribution values
Spire Changes

View attachment 393620

Spires are highly valuable tools to be used against the Thargoids, as each war effort action within a spire system also has an effect on the 10 systems furthest away from the associated Titan - this is called "spread pushback".

Significant changes have been made to enable new strategies via more dynamic spread pushback mechanics.

• Spread pushback targeting is now dynamic
    • For example, if any of the furthest 10 systems hit 100%, the titan will now start to affect the 11th system, then the 12th, and so on - without waiting for the Thursday turn
  • Spread pushback capping has been reworked
    • Previously, spread pushback would only apply to a system under 85% progress
    • Spread pushback is now treated as an 85% pushback allocation per system
    • The hard cap at 85% progress no longer applies
      • For example: A system could already be at 15% progress via in-system activity; the remaining 85% could be completed by spread pushback.
  • All contributions within a spire system have been retuned
    • Fully taking a spire system will always result in spread pushback to the equivalent of 85% of 10 systems
  • Activity after a spire system has hit 100% will not result in additional spread pushback
  • Spread pushback no longer applies to the spire system itself
  • Spire systems no longer regenerate on each weekly tick
Counterstrike/AXCZ Changes

View attachment 393621

Counterstrike systems offer a variety of gameplay options to fight the Thargoids. To better synergise with Spire mechanics, improvements to the Counterstrike marking rules have been made.

• Counterstrike system marking has been partially reworked
    • The 10 furthest controlled systems from a Titan are now marked as counterstrike, regardless of direction
    • The furthest spire system from a Titan is now marked as counterstrike
    • The above changes are in addition to the existing counterstrike marking system, which remains in place
  • Additionally, Anti Xeno Combat Zones now spawn in all Thargoid controlled systems
  • These changes only apply to the Titan with the fewest controlled systems
    • In the event 2 Titans have the same number of controlled systems, both will follow this new ruleset. Choose wisely, Commanders.
Titan Vulnerability Changes

Previously, Titan vulnerability operated on a curve - the less systems a Titan controlled, the more damage it would take from players hitting the core.

Titan vulnerability has been reworked to two phase system. It will now always be clear when a Titan has been made vulnerable, and therefore ready for a final assault.

• Titan vulnerability is now a two tier system:
    • At 3 controlled systems or below, the Titan will be vulnerable to attack
    • At 4 or above controlled systems, the Titan will take almost no damage from attacks
  • Inbox messages and the galaxy map have been adjusted to this new system
  • Rules for obtaining Titan rewards are unchanged

These changes will enable you to develop new stratagems in defeating the Thargoid threat, and be assured that every action is contributing to the war effort.

We will be closely monitoring the results of these changes, and will make further adjustments as required.

5 Titans still remain active and a threat to the galaxy. If you have yet to engage the Thargoids then now is the time to join the fight! Jump in now with the AX Combat Jumpstart Alliance Chieftain!

Issue Tracker:

• Fixed an issue where context menus were not working with HOTAS (Issue ID 64078)
Bugs/Adjustments

• Fixed a soft lock that could occur when being teleported to carrier seats from a teammate's hangar, but not aboard their ship

Oh, one change that would be REALLY nice; I want to play a R&R ship who can help other players, but right now it's very difficult to get others to slow down for long enough for a limpet to catch up to them. 200m/s is really very slow when you've got interceptors flying around shooting at you.

At the same time, the addition of Caustic Sinks has largely made Decontam limpets irrelevant less useful.

Is there any chance Decontam Limpets could get increased movement speed to make them more useful from an R&R perspective? Maybe 500m/s, like Hatchbreakers. That way you could catch up to even the faster ships out there, and it would give a solid niche for decontam limpets over repair limpets+caustic sinks.

I don't know how much effort this would take to change, but especially if you're trying to encourage newer players out of the Spires and into standard AX combat, being able to either repair them more easily, OR allow them to take on a more support-oriented role, would really help make that a more valid option.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders!

Following player feedback and internal reviews of the Thargoid War and Titan progression, we are making a number of significant changes.

These changes are designed to make the war more accessible, and ensure that every contribution at any time feels valuable.

These changes will take effect with the release of 18.06 on Tuesday 28th May.

Release Schedule

• 08:00 BST - Live/4.0 Servers offline for update
  • 12:00 BST - Servers Online and Update available
Please note that these times are subject to change.

War Contribution & Bounty Changes

Whilst numerous gameplay options are available to contribute to the war effort, certain gameplay loops have proven more efficient than others - with scout sampling a clear outlier.

To ensure that all types of gameplay are impactful on the war, every gameplay action has been reviewed; Combat in particular should now be a much more viable way to beat back the Thargoid threat.

• War contribution values have been rebalanced for all actions and the following actions have received significant boosts:
    • All combat actions (e.g. destroying interceptors and Anti Xeno Combat Zones)
    • Hunting Orthrus in alert systems
    • Spire sabotage actions
    • All mission types
    • All rescue operations
  • Combat bonds have been adjusted for the following Thargoid ships:
    • Cyclops 6,500,000 → 8,000,000
    • Basilisk 20,000,000 → 24,000,000
    • Medusa 34,000,000 → 40,000,000
    • Hydra 50,000,000 → 60,000,000
    • Orthrus 40,000,000 → 15,000,000
System Difficulty Changes

Previously, system difficulty became exponentially higher the closer a system is to a Titan, so systems very close to Titans could be extremely challenging to take.

This often made it very difficult to weaken the Titan to a highly vulnerable state by taking those last controlled systems.

This change aims to ensure that system difficulty remains consistent, and additionally, that all systems can be contested without Spire assistance or stockpiling samples.

• System difficulty is now linear with respect to distance from a Titan
  • All system scores have been re-balanced using the new war contribution values
Spire Changes

View attachment 393620

Spires are highly valuable tools to be used against the Thargoids, as each war effort action within a spire system also has an effect on the 10 systems furthest away from the associated Titan - this is called "spread pushback".

Significant changes have been made to enable new strategies via more dynamic spread pushback mechanics.

• Spread pushback targeting is now dynamic
    • For example, if any of the furthest 10 systems hit 100%, the titan will now start to affect the 11th system, then the 12th, and so on - without waiting for the Thursday turn
  • Spread pushback capping has been reworked
    • Previously, spread pushback would only apply to a system under 85% progress
    • Spread pushback is now treated as an 85% pushback allocation per system
    • The hard cap at 85% progress no longer applies
      • For example: A system could already be at 15% progress via in-system activity; the remaining 85% could be completed by spread pushback.
  • All contributions within a spire system have been retuned
    • Fully taking a spire system will always result in spread pushback to the equivalent of 85% of 10 systems
  • Activity after a spire system has hit 100% will not result in additional spread pushback
  • Spread pushback no longer applies to the spire system itself
  • Spire systems no longer regenerate on each weekly tick
Counterstrike/AXCZ Changes

View attachment 393621

Counterstrike systems offer a variety of gameplay options to fight the Thargoids. To better synergise with Spire mechanics, improvements to the Counterstrike marking rules have been made.

• Counterstrike system marking has been partially reworked
    • The 10 furthest controlled systems from a Titan are now marked as counterstrike, regardless of direction
    • The furthest spire system from a Titan is now marked as counterstrike
    • The above changes are in addition to the existing counterstrike marking system, which remains in place
  • Additionally, Anti Xeno Combat Zones now spawn in all Thargoid controlled systems
  • These changes only apply to the Titan with the fewest controlled systems
    • In the event 2 Titans have the same number of controlled systems, both will follow this new ruleset. Choose wisely, Commanders.
Titan Vulnerability Changes

Previously, Titan vulnerability operated on a curve - the less systems a Titan controlled, the more damage it would take from players hitting the core.

Titan vulnerability has been reworked to two phase system. It will now always be clear when a Titan has been made vulnerable, and therefore ready for a final assault.

• Titan vulnerability is now a two tier system:
    • At 3 controlled systems or below, the Titan will be vulnerable to attack
    • At 4 or above controlled systems, the Titan will take almost no damage from attacks
  • Inbox messages and the galaxy map have been adjusted to this new system
  • Rules for obtaining Titan rewards are unchanged

These changes will enable you to develop new stratagems in defeating the Thargoid threat, and be assured that every action is contributing to the war effort.

We will be closely monitoring the results of these changes, and will make further adjustments as required.

5 Titans still remain active and a threat to the galaxy. If you have yet to engage the Thargoids then now is the time to join the fight! Jump in now with the AX Combat Jumpstart Alliance Chieftain!

Issue Tracker:

• Fixed an issue where context menus were not working with HOTAS (Issue ID 64078)
Bugs/Adjustments

• Fixed a soft lock that could occur when being teleported to carrier seats from a teammate's hangar, but not aboard their ship

Oh, another thing now that I'm thinking about it: I'm not sure if this is already the case, but it would be nice if the completion bonus for finishing a CZ were properly scaled to how much it adds to the war effort, AND if THAT were scaled to the difficulty of finishing the CZ. Afaik, All czs currently give 5m reward.

For example(ignore the exact numbers), a Low CZ might give 5m(same as presently) and be worth maybe 2 cyclops kills, while a High CZ might give 50m and be worth 20 cyclops kills. High CZs take a while to complete, after all.

This leads into the next bit; it would be nice if the CZ completion reward were properly scaled. Right now, pretty much everyone gravitates to Planetary CZs if possible, because not having swarms is exceeding convenient, and it doesn't feel much better to do more difficult CZs. And that's largely fine for regular combat(or beginners), but there really should be some incentive for higher-skill players or larger wings to move to more difficult CZs rather than farming the easier ones repeatedly.

As I see it, the current difficulty scaling goes: Planetary CZ(no swarms, repairs)->Outpost(swarms, but repairs/resupply)->Station(Swarms and Repairs, but more nasty goids)->Low(No repairs/resupply)->Med->High->Hazardous.

I'm thinking something like.... (again, ballpark figures here)

• Planetary = Same as normal(5m reward for completion)
  • Outpost = 10m reward(double completion bonus towards system progress.)
  • Station = 15m reward(triple progress, etc)
  • Low CZ = 20m reward
  • Medium CZ = 40m reward
  • High CZ = 80m reward
  • Haz CZ = 150m reward

That might be a bit overkill, but Haz Rezzes ARE rather difficult, you know?

You said masochism doesn't exist in nature. So before you wander off the point too much, that was what I was responding to. As humans we can be masochists, sadists and everything inbetween. Which means that if those qualities don't exist in "nature" that we have transcended it somewhat, which of course we have. The Thargoids have also transcended mere "nature" in that respect, they are bio mechanical so like us they have taken a hand in their own evolution and not sat there merely reacting to their environment, therefore we can't rule out that they could have the full range of thoughts we have, or some equivalent. Actually I'm hoping they are more intelligent than humans, it wouldn't be difficult.
How to tell us you've never owned a cat without telling us you've never owned a cat.

FDev, while we're balancing AX actions, please make ody ax restore missions more common, and make them easy to find somehow via in game markers in galaxy map. This is my favorite content but its near impossible to find. It's one of the few ax ody content, don't let it go to waste.

Afaik, All czs currently give 5m reward.
?

Currently, planetary CZs around a port give a 750k credit payout for finishing the Scout stage, 20 mil for the regular Interceptor stage, and another 50 mil for killing both Hydras.

I’m not sure about the numbers for outposts and big orbitals though. Or for the open space CZs, especially since I just don’t run those any longer. The convenience to gameplay of the station ones is… well, really hard to ignore.

?

Currently, planetary CZs around a port give a 750k credit payout for finishing the Scout stage, 20 mil for the regular Interceptor stage, and another 50 mil for killing both Hydras.

I’m not sure about the numbers for outposts and big orbitals though. Or for the open space CZs, especially since I just don’t run those any longer. The convenience to gameplay of the station ones is… well, really hard to ignore.
Thanks for the correction!

But you kind of reinforce my point. Conflict zones around stations or on planetary services are so convenient, they are the default choice, even in extremely unfavorable circumstances, like High Gravity.

I don't have a problem with that per se, but I do think that reward should roughly correspond to difficulty, and I don't think anyone can deny that having the ability to effortlessly repair and rearm, or disable swarms, makes the conflict zones a lot easier.

In my Ideal World, people should always be trying to do as high of a CZ as they can. Which means that without rearm and repair capability they need to reward well enough to justify doing them, even with the more prolonged wait between Cycles.

Last edited:
How to tell us you've never owned a cat without telling us you've never owned a cat.
I did, several in fact, my last one died of feline leukaemia a year ago and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done, looking into his eyes and watching him die as they put him to sleep. But thanks for checking before making assumptions.

That aside I imagine you are referring to the fact that cats are one of the few creatures that kill for pleasure and toy with it first. One outlier does not a point make, though, and it still doesn't mean they actually comprehend the human concept of sadism.
3Z1A8448.JPG

Top Bottom