Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

680 people emplyed by Frontier.. why do we get the feeling that there are only 2 that can code working on Elite??

It destroys any hope the game can be what we want it to be when bugs cause delay after delay after delay. We are a third of a year past release now. I feel sorry for whoever is left actually coding, they need help and a lot more of them. You have the numbers Frontier..what on earth is going on over there in Cambridge?

(edited because I was right the first time, a third of a year from release by all intents and purposes)
Elite dangerous isn't their only game. ED has a team of around 100-120.

manpower-not-enough-22281552.png

I think that even if that particular bug required an hour to fix today, it'd probably be too late for a release this week, depending on how they schedule their QA process.
But then why can't the rest go ahead as planned? Why does the Update have to wait for this patch? I'm not a developer or coder so how would I possibly know but it does seem unusual.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
It just sort of implies that more coders are needed then surely?

Piglet, I'm not going to answer on any more of these now, honestly. I can't really make people understand further at this point, so I'm going to divert my energy - I'm so sorry.

There are many more important points to focus on right now than people worried about our staff levels when they really shouldn't be concerned over it. Let's just get the game how you want it.

I am so sorry at how often I need to remind people that not everyone on a team/in a studio is capable of fixing any issue.
Totally this... I classify myself as a Developer... It's even in my job title. But there's no way in hell I could just slide in to fixing the bugs in Elite Dangerous, I just don't have that kind of experience. On the other hand, on my project, in the areas that I've worked on I can fix a problem in 5 minutes that even one of my team mates would need a day or so, just to get up to speed on.

I really would be worried if a team of 500 needed a week to fix one bug and halt all else to do so ... so you're right there!

Tbh I'm a little concerned that a team of 100 need to do so.

Fixing issues isn't a case of throwing more people at them (there's nothing so dangerous as someone with a little knowledge) you need to throw the RIGHT person at the issue...

Eid

Piglet, I'm not going to answer on any more of these now, honestly. I can't really make people understand further at this point, so I'm going to divert my energy - I'm so sorry.

There are much more important points to focus on right now than people worried about our staff levels when they really shouldn't be concerned over it. Let's just get the game how you want it.
Nothing would please me more than coming home and turning on my favourite game and not having to worry about all of this or come here so Yep.. works for me!

Fixing issues isn't a case of throwing more people at them (there's nothing so dangerous as someone with a little knowledge) you need to throw the RIGHT person at the issue...
Not being a developer I wouldn't know. I'm just an invested person who's paid money. Just want my game to work. If it doesn't, I generally come here to find answers as to why it doesn't.

But then why can't the rest go ahead as planned? Why does the Update have to wait for this patch? I'm not a developer or coder so how would I possibly know but it does seem unusual.
Because in that way that fix might come in a month instead than in a week

Last edited:
"What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months."
Teams needs to co-ordinate with eachother, and individuals within those teams need to co-ordinate as well. Communication and management takes time, in addition to the work of programming, debugging, etc...
Throwing more programmers at the project won't necessarily help, similar to how nine women can't make a baby in one month.

Top Bottom