Fiction Elite Encounters: The Elite Dangerous RPG

Given the nature of the "single book license", it would be best to consider EE as a book that's canon up to the release of ED's 2.3 patch (which is where the addition of game details stopped).

One of the biggest problems writing an RPG that's based on an evolving universe is that at some point the changes will contradict something in the book. It's just one of those things. If I get the chance to bring out updates or additions that can address some of that, then that's fine. If I'm being honest, I don't actually know what the future holds for the RPG and future editions. That's up to you guys - buy loads of copies, tell everyone it's great, and if Frontier see future profit or advantage in allowing a license for EEV2, then it could happen.

Wow. It's only been out a day and I'm talking about a second edition. Madness.

@Madbilly: Yes. Many thoughts. I'm looking into it at the moment, and it's looking good. Initially, barring problems with formatting I am thinking about making it availble online through DriveThruRPG. I am also looking at possibly offering pre-orders of hardcopies, and if enough pre-orders are received then a print run would be done. Sadly due to being a single-person operation the funding just isn't there for a full run without the demand to match, so it's baby steps at the moment.

In other news, I'm pleased to announce that I'm offering the book for 25% off over the Christmas period. Go have a look at https://daftworks.co.uk/eliterpg to see the details. :)

Well, could you do a kickstarter to gather pre-orders and you set the goal at the level you need to make it worthwhile? That's essentially what ED:RPG did. The only real difference is that you've already written it. Didn't Fantastic Books do a kickstarter for some of their print runs of some ED books?

When Elite: Encounters got published did it get mentioned in the ED newsletter? If not that would help get word out there -I've lost track now of the number of people I've referred to E:E only for the lore parts, never mind there's a whole game there!

Anyway, count me interested :)

I have thought about a Kickstarter to fund a full print run, yes, but I would need to carefully consider the costs involved and any perks and pledge rewards, as well as looking into the potential demand from the bricks and mortar shops that would be interested in selling hardcopies. I do still have several physical rewards still to deliver from this project's Kickstarter and would prefer to finish that off first.

Fantastic Books were raising money for Audio books and "special edition" box sets of the books they were publishing, yes.

EE hasn't been mentioned in the ED newsletters yet - I was asking the community team about it, but I stopped when I spoke to Frontier's IP and licensing manager as he stated he would get back to me with options for how Frontier could provide some marketing push for the book. That was in November and to be frank I haven't had the time to push this stuff as much as it has needed to be pushed. The fact I haven't heard back for some time and I am again needing to be the one to push this process forward is a little disheartening, to be perfectly frank.

Once the festive season's focus on family is done, I will be looking for more forward motion on marketing the book in a variety of areas. If you didn't already know, the book has been reviewed in January's issue of Tabletop Gaming Magazine which hits shelves tomorrow (29th Dec). That should hopefully give it a little shove in the right direction. Apparently it's quite a positive review!

I have thought about a Kickstarter to fund a full print run, yes, but I would need to carefully consider the costs involved and any perks and pledge rewards, as well as looking into the potential demand from the bricks and mortar shops that would be interested in selling hardcopies. I do still have several physical rewards still to deliver from this project's Kickstarter and would prefer to finish that off first.

Fantastic Books were raising money for Audio books and "special edition" box sets of the books they were publishing, yes.

EE hasn't been mentioned in the ED newsletters yet - I was asking the community team about it, but I stopped when I spoke to Frontier's IP and licensing manager as he stated he would get back to me with options for how Frontier could provide some marketing push for the book. That was in November and to be frank I haven't had the time to push this stuff as much as it has needed to be pushed. The fact I haven't heard back for some time and I am again needing to be the one to push this process forward is a little disheartening, to be perfectly frank.

Once the festive season's focus on family is done, I will be looking for more forward motion on marketing the book in a variety of areas. If you didn't already know, the book has been reviewed in January's issue of Tabletop Gaming Magazine which hits shelves tomorrow (29th Dec). That should hopefully give it a little shove in the right direction. Apparently it's quite a positive review!
I completely understand that your original kickstarter backers are top priority. Shame that FDev haven't been more forthcoming with marketing help, but IIRC the writers' packs were royalty free weren't they? If so, no financial incentive for FDev, but they should still want to help you spread ED far and wide.

Thanks for sharing the Star Wars advent calendar on twitter btw, fun to see!

Dammit, I'll have to get a copy of that just to see how EE did. ;-)

Top Bottom