Elite is a convoluted mess

Offering it for free will draw in a lot of people trying it out. Retaining them is another matter, as seen here. Attacking them for having a bad experience is sure to bring in more people, as well.
When it comes to it, the attitude of the thread is set by the attitude of the OP. Had they come asking for help they would have gotten it, heck folk would have joined them in a private group and held their hand all through the process.

Unfortunately they came in with a bad attitude the thread reflects that. Looks like a troll, treated like a troll.

This is the problem with making the game free - no incentive to climb that difficulty wall.

If someone needs the incentive of trying to get a return on their 'investment' to keep them around, they are probably just wasting their time.

It is unnecesarily convoluted in the settings especially - it could really do with a rejig and simplification. Figuring out how to set up your controls isn't a "fun" challenge for all the family to enjoy.

I concur. The amount of time I've spent on setting up controls in ED dwarfs the amount of time in several other titles I've played to a fair degree of completion. Every time new features are added, I need to rebind to fit them all into a limited number of buttons in an ergonomic manner, and then reacclimate myself to everything.

There are also still some control oddities I do not have a solid workaround for that I've been putting in bug reports on and off for five years (mainly the ability for the ship thruster overrides and the forward/reverse axes on the SRV to be able to use the same binds, with a forward-only primary throttle).

There are people with thousands of hours played who still claim to never have fun

Imagine being a compulsive masturbator who also suffers from anorgasmia!

It is often a throwaway response, but in this case, I think it is truly the case of ED just not being the game for OP. After reading his post, I get the impression that he picked up the game as part of the free giveaway but didn't really know much about it. I also get the impression that he is the type that would prefer something closer to Rebel Galaxy. There is nothing wrong with that, its just not going to earn much of a sympathetic ear in these parts.

Well, as others have said, it's too bad the OP left in a huff because there are a lot of people around here willing to show him the ropes. Oh well.

...Anyway, I'm just glad that this game was free. So i won't feel bad about deleting it. Adios!!!
Your complaints are all valid, and have been discussed at length within the community. At the end of the day, this is the game FD has chosen to make, and these choices have ensured that E: D will always be a niche game.

But as you say, good thing it was free. :)

I came across someone like OP a while ago. The guy simply refused to pay attention and learn, then ended up blaming the game for things he just didn't understand. He quit too.
He didn't, however, go through the trouble of finding the forums, creating a user and then writing a long post telling people that he's quitting. That's next level.

Start with the options, I want to find the button to enter FSS mode. No it's not in the category with the other FSS buttons, It's been moved to something called mode switch. Of course this wasted two hours of my life, And wound up finding it on google, Since the elite wiki never tells you anything useful. And all this time was wasted in just figuring out one button that i wanted to change or even use. Why can't you put everything pertaining to one function in a single category, And stop making it overly difficult to find?

Flight controls, Is it really necessary to make it so difficult to fly around a solar system, Do i need to hit j, Wait for a countdown, Find the target, and then accelerate? Or would a smart person make it so i just hit the spacebar for four seconds to enter frame shift mode? Since i can maneuver within that mode.

Scanning and FSS mode. What an over complicated and stupid system. I have to be in frame shift mode to enable FSS mode? What for? If it's far enough away to require frame shift mode, Then i'll turn that on myself. And i don't need it to be mandated to me. Why are there three kinds of scanners, When there are only buttons for two fire groups? Why doesnt the FSS scanner auto identify a signal type and just list it on the screen for me. Do i really need to manually tune the dial for every little thing? That's terrible game design. Also indicative of this game overall. Overly complicated simple functions. Or twelve buttons for every little thing.

Mining, it was easy enough to understand that i needed a mining laser and refiner to go mining. Go through the massively overcomplicated flight controls to get to an asteroid, Hit the lasers, a piece flys off, And i have to chase it like a duck hunting dog, And scoop it into an opening under my ship. Only to get the message resources unallocated, Because it has more than one material, So i have to manually eject the unwanted part of each chunk, Every single time i mine. Could you possibly have made this suck any more than this? How about your ship extends a tube to suck up the chunks, Like someone would do in real life. And anything that your ship cant refine is jettisoned automatically. How about you actually tell new players where to get drones that collect the chunks. Horrible system.

I spent the last two days playing this game, And so far I have had zero amount of fun. Every single thing i try to do is overly complicated, Micromanagement in it's worst form. I can't stress enough how you have ruined anything resembling fun, In favor of "MORE BUTTONS" to push. More nonsensical steps to take to do one simple function. In the real world, We simplify things, We group things together under automatic control, So that the operator doesn't have to micromanage everything. This is not Kerbal space program, Where you build and fly your own ships manually. This is supposed to be a space adventure. But instead It's a space irritation.

Rewards Or the lack thereof. Ten chunks mined 38% of one unit of ore? How about with payout that low, I just tell you what to kiss, And quit this crappy job. Setting the difficulty high, Does not make a game enjoyable. it just shows that you don't care whether people are having a good time or not.

Anyway, I'm just glad that this game was free. So i won't feel bad about deleting it. Adios!!!

Well at least you tried it even if it's clearly over your head 🙂 it takes a fair bit of patience and working through issues to get the best out of ED. You have probably not played the previous Elite titles to know that it's worth the effort!

Sadly, I suspect we'll be seeing a few of these kinds of posts from people who got it free and invested nothing.

Can you imagine my what the hell reverse moment when I shot asteroids in NMS and the fragments simply flew to my ship and placed themselves in my cargo hold?

I was so 😲

I bet you were. I still remember the days without limpets......

iu

Stealthie

Banned
I'm hoping Odyssey adds just enough mass market appeal that I can get my friends to play with me.

If the on foot stuff is akin to Destiny, I know I can get my friends to play and that's good enough for me. I can still do everything I did before they added pewpewlegs.

If you've ever tried to have a conversation with somebody about ED IRL, you'll probably know how fruitless this is likely to be. 😕

Last week I was chatting to a somebody (who's an avid console gamer) about games.
He explained to me about how much fun it is to kidnap people in Red Dead Redemption 2 and how much fun it is to cause mayhem in GTA online.
I was telling him about CGs in ED and about how it's possible to craft insanely powerful weapons in Skyrim.

It was like we were speaking different languages. 🤷‍♂️

Start with the options, I want to find the button to enter FSS mode. No it's not in the category with the other FSS buttons, It's been moved to something called mode switch. Of course this wasted two hours of my life, And wound up finding it on google, Since the elite wiki never tells you anything useful. And all this time was wasted in just figuring out one button that i wanted to change or even use. Why can't you put everything pertaining to one function in a single category, And stop making it overly difficult to find?

I'll give you that, setting the controls is complicated, almost like a puzzle.
One more cynical would say it's a test for the things to come and you did quite poorly

Flight controls, Is it really necessary to make it so difficult to fly around a solar system, Do i need to hit j, Wait for a countdown, Find the target, and then accelerate? Or would a smart person make it so i just hit the spacebar for four seconds to enter frame shift mode? Since i can maneuver within that mode.

Scanning and FSS mode. What an over complicated and stupid system. I have to be in frame shift mode to enable FSS mode? What for? If it's far enough away to require frame shift mode, Then i'll turn that on myself. And i don't need it to be mandated to me. Why are there three kinds of scanners, When there are only buttons for two fire groups? Why doesnt the FSS scanner auto identify a signal type and just list it on the screen for me. Do i really need to manually tune the dial for every little thing? That's terrible game design. Also indicative of this game overall. Overly complicated simple functions. Or twelve buttons for every little thing.

Mining, it was easy enough to understand that i needed a mining laser and refiner to go mining. Go through the massively overcomplicated flight controls to get to an asteroid, Hit the lasers, a piece flys off, And i have to chase it like a duck hunting dog, And scoop it into an opening under my ship. Only to get the message resources unallocated, Because it has more than one material, So i have to manually eject the unwanted part of each chunk, Every single time i mine. Could you possibly have made this suck any more than this? How about your ship extends a tube to suck up the chunks, Like someone would do in real life. And anything that your ship cant refine is jettisoned automatically. How about you actually tell new players where to get drones that collect the chunks. Horrible system.

I spent the last two days playing this game, And so far I have had zero amount of fun. Every single thing i try to do is overly complicated, Micromanagement in it's worst form. I can't stress enough how you have ruined anything resembling fun, In favor of "MORE BUTTONS" to push. More nonsensical steps to take to do one simple function. In the real world, We simplify things, We group things together under automatic control, So that the operator doesn't have to micromanage everything. This is not Kerbal space program, Where you build and fly your own ships manually. This is supposed to be a space adventure. But instead It's a space irritation.

Rewards Or the lack thereof. Ten chunks mined 38% of one unit of ore? How about with payout that low, I just tell you what to kiss, And quit this crappy job. Setting the difficulty high, Does not make a game enjoyable. it just shows that you don't care whether people are having a good time or not.

Seems to me that instead of doing all the ingame tutorials, eventually trying to find out something about the lore, you just searched youtube about how to make money fast, but didn't pay enough attention to details (different rated modules, limpets, etc)

Anyway, I'm just glad that this game was free. So i won't feel bad about deleting it. Adios!!!

Well, this is not the game you will speed run in 5h. It is not the game that advertise itself as 50 hours of amazing gameplay.
It's a game that will take you a couple hundred hours only to scratch the very surface. It's a game that even in 1000h you cannot say you tried everything and seen everything.

If you decide to give it another try - take it slower. And do it only if you can put up with the steep learning curve.
It is not a game that will hold your hand

Sounds like the OP is yet another noob throwing his toys out his pram because the game is not EXACTLY the way he wants it.
Another member of the 'instant gratification' club.

He's had the game all of 5 minutes and thinks he's qualified enough to come on here to tell us how bad it is.

Idiot.

Top Bottom