Elite is a convoluted mess

4. Why is "request docking" so well hidden?
The tutorial walks you through that pretty clearly. It tells you exactly how to find it.

Nice touch was, the voice over stopped mid sentence when I requested docking before he'd told me where it was and said, instead, "never mind, you've got it"

Some complaints are valid but the introduction to this game these days is really very good. Doesn't cover everything, no, but if a player can't do the absolute basics after the full tutorial and following the repeated advice it gives to try out simulated tutorials...

It stops being a problem with the game.

THIS^^ I can live with the other things but hiding docking request is beyond my little brain capabilities...
It's in the tutorial. I just tried a new commander last night. You'd need to be really dense to miss this. You literally get told where it is and cannot proceed until you find it.

The fact it's "hidden" (I mean, where else should it be if not an option to interact with a contact? Another key bind to not be able to find? How is that less hidden?) is only a problem imagined, rather than practical.

What I'm guessing you don't like is that you can't hotkey it. I refer you again to the very first complaint the op produced.

It's in the tutorial. I just tried a new commander last night. You'd need to be really dense to miss this. You literally get told where it is and cannot proceed until you find it.

And even without tutorials, it isn't that far fetched that contacting a port to request docking permission would likely be under the contacts tab.

Last edited:

The fact it's "hidden" (I mean, where else should it be if not an option to interact with a contact? Another key bind to not be able to find? How is that less hidden?) is only a problem imagined, rather than practical.

What I'm guessing you don't like is that you can't hotkey it. I refer you again to the very first complaint the op produced.
Yup, it is not an issue to find it. It is just lots of clicks to get there. And yes, hotkey would be fantastic to have...

And even without tutorials, it isn't that far fetched that contacting a port to request docking permission would likely be under the contacts tab.
I don't even remember this being difficult with the very first tutorial we had to dock, which was way more basic.

Yup, it is not an issue to find it. It is just lots of clicks to get there. And yes, hotkey would be fantastic to have...
It's 4 most of the time. Similarly, one could argue it's more clicks to select the power plant and that should be a binding.

Both are equally valid suggestions to save time, both are equally unnecessary to enhance the game.

Think how many clicks you have to do to do anything in the game, when interacting with the UI. Reducing that by 3 once every time you dock isn't significant.

It's a minor thing. The only fix for it being more binding bloat. Which is a major thing.

Every game has a radio menu, even communicating with the SLF pilots has one in Elite, but the docking request is hidden. No amount of tutorials justifies this rather questionable design decision.

Some perspective...
shuttle-the-space-flight-simulator_10.png
1606047289285.jpeg

images
shuttle-the-space-flight-simulator_17.png
shuttle-the-space-flight-simulator_15.png

I didn't read whole thread, but as reponse to OP: ED was/is continually updatet to become easier for playing (when compared with game state 4-5 years back). However it still is quite difficult game which need some time to get used into. Without patience and dedication to overcome starting obstacles there clearly cannot be any positive outcome ... If player will come here and ask for help, he will get it. Also numerous cmdrs will offer help right in game. With start like OP have used ... well, the best seems is find some other game for have fun with.

This is the problem with making the game free - no incentive to climb that difficulty wall.

nvm

Nonsense. If you check Reddit you'll see piles of posts from people who are blown away with it, and only tried it because it was free. There seems to be a pretty big number of people trying it, so many won't like it of course. Free or not.

Some, as OP, won't like it because 'hit j, turn ship' is too complex a simulation of space travel. Which is absolutely fine, different strokes and all that.

In the end making it free will add a number of excited new players, and that is always a good thing.

Nobody wants my opinion but I’m going to give it anyway, because that’s how the internet works...

I’ve probably been playing for about a year and a half now, with the odd break or two, and I’m still learning, and I’m still loving the game. It’s a sandbox, at its heart whether you’re explorin’, tradin’ or fightin’ it’s a game of discovery. I’ve read a few guides and tutorials to get my going in the right direction but the real fun is figuring that out for yourself. It’s not even a meta thing as I often shout from the rooftops, because it’s a game about spaceships so I build spaceships that feel to me like spaceships and see what works. If it doesn’t tickle my pickle I change things up and see what happens next.

On the key word ‘flying’ has the OP ever played a flight sim? As a kid I played FE2, and I’ve fond memories of TFX on my old Amiga, and a more recent example would be War Thunder on my PS4. Play any flight sim with the depth and breadth of control options of Elite and tell me they’re not as complex. You’ve got to put the time in to learn how the flight model works, what control mapping works, and figure out what does what. You know, probably like I imagine flying a spaceship might be a little like. As with all unsolicited opinions your mileage may vary, but you’re not going to get an instant excitement fix unless you’re like me and you giggle like a schoolgirl the first time your thrusters fire when you first launch.

One more thing regarding controls - if you’re using a gamepad (I use a wireless Xbox 360 pad with “default context” setting) you can press and hold any of the four face buttons and a help legend will appear with all the sub-functions assigned to that key.

It really helped me when new things were added like the FSS - and the odd occasions when I have a brain-fart and can’t remember that the cargo scoop is B+DpadUp (I think? I’ve only been playing for the last 6 years 😅).
Does that work for all of the face buttons?
Asking because I use a DS4, it shows some, but not all.

For me it works with A,B,X,Y, (so that should be square, cross, triangle, circle on yours) and a press+hold brings up the DPad and shoulder bumper sub-functions. Some sub-function slots are spare using the default context, so I’ve added a few things to my bindings.
I have had a brain-fart as to why some don't show up on press and hold, I'll check it out later. (y)

Top Bottom