Elite is a convoluted mess

Nonsense. If you check Reddit you'll see piles of posts from people who are blown away with it, and only tried it because it was free. There seems to be a pretty big number of people trying it, so many won't like it of course. Free or not.
1606049934666.png

Every game has a radio menu, even communicating with the SLF pilots has one in Elite, but the docking request is hidden. No amount of tutorials justifies this rather questionable design decision.
Quite a lot of combat stuff has a hot key option. Makes sense though, it's combat. Even then... Still lots of stuff in menus. I'd suggest it'd be nuts to add every single function to hotkeys. But docking isn't nearly the highest priority.

Launching the fighter being one.

ED is not a full sim, but nor is it arcade, so I think some complexity is to be expected. I think the OP has a point about the settings and the game would benefit from some tidying up. Mining and scanning has been fleshed out so is going to have more options, the FSS scanner and probe gameplay to me looks more like its designed for navigator gameplay with a second player. It would have been better if it had been some sort of pop up HUD display screen, so you fly and scan, turning the ship to open up the scope, instead of "pausing" flying to scan.

The training sessions are good and will get new pilots a long way into the game, but even with those you have to stick at them with a lot of patience. They are very well put together.

Start with the options, I want to find the button to enter FSS mode. No it's not in the category with the other FSS buttons, It's been moved to something called mode switch. Of course this wasted two hours of my life, And wound up finding it on google, Since the elite wiki never tells you anything useful. And all this time was wasted in just figuring out one button that i wanted to change or even use. Why can't you put everything pertaining to one function in a single category, And stop making it overly difficult to find?

Flight controls, Is it really necessary to make it so difficult to fly around a solar system, Do i need to hit j, Wait for a countdown, Find the target, and then accelerate? Or would a smart person make it so i just hit the spacebar for four seconds to enter frame shift mode? Since i can maneuver within that mode.

Scanning and FSS mode. What an over complicated and stupid system. I have to be in frame shift mode to enable FSS mode? What for? If it's far enough away to require frame shift mode, Then i'll turn that on myself. And i don't need it to be mandated to me. Why are there three kinds of scanners, When there are only buttons for two fire groups? Why doesnt the FSS scanner auto identify a signal type and just list it on the screen for me. Do i really need to manually tune the dial for every little thing? That's terrible game design. Also indicative of this game overall. Overly complicated simple functions. Or twelve buttons for every little thing.

Mining, it was easy enough to understand that i needed a mining laser and refiner to go mining. Go through the massively overcomplicated flight controls to get to an asteroid, Hit the lasers, a piece flys off, And i have to chase it like a duck hunting dog, And scoop it into an opening under my ship. Only to get the message resources unallocated, Because it has more than one material, So i have to manually eject the unwanted part of each chunk, Every single time i mine. Could you possibly have made this suck any more than this? How about your ship extends a tube to suck up the chunks, Like someone would do in real life. And anything that your ship cant refine is jettisoned automatically. How about you actually tell new players where to get drones that collect the chunks. Horrible system.

I spent the last two days playing this game, And so far I have had zero amount of fun. Every single thing i try to do is overly complicated, Micromanagement in it's worst form. I can't stress enough how you have ruined anything resembling fun, In favor of "MORE BUTTONS" to push. More nonsensical steps to take to do one simple function. In the real world, We simplify things, We group things together under automatic control, So that the operator doesn't have to micromanage everything. This is not Kerbal space program, Where you build and fly your own ships manually. This is supposed to be a space adventure. But instead It's a space irritation.

Rewards Or the lack thereof. Ten chunks mined 38% of one unit of ore? How about with payout that low, I just tell you what to kiss, And quit this crappy job. Setting the difficulty high, Does not make a game enjoyable. it just shows that you don't care whether people are having a good time or not.

Anyway, I'm just glad that this game was free. So i won't feel bad about deleting it. Adios!!!

All i got from this is...

Find a painite system and mine.

Dropping into the forums as a nooby and badmouthing the game is not going to end well. As a community we might trash talk the game all day, but you won't find a community more likely to come together and destroy you if you are an outsider bad mouthing the game.

Can i just add that this is one of the... If not THE best communities I have experienced. Take a look at when one of ED's mysteries gets introduced to the game. EVERYBODY is on it and we all help each other. Full on cooperation at its finest.

Start with the options, I want to find the button to enter FSS mode. No it's not in the category with the other FSS buttons, It's been moved to something called mode switch. Of course this wasted two hours of my life, And wound up finding it on google, Since the elite wiki never tells you anything useful. And all this time was wasted in just figuring out one button that i wanted to change or even use. Why can't you put everything pertaining to one function in a single category, And stop making it overly difficult to find?

Flight controls, Is it really necessary to make it so difficult to fly around a solar system, Do i need to hit j, Wait for a countdown, Find the target, and then accelerate? Or would a smart person make it so i just hit the spacebar for four seconds to enter frame shift mode? Since i can maneuver within that mode.

Scanning and FSS mode. What an over complicated and stupid system. I have to be in frame shift mode to enable FSS mode? What for? If it's far enough away to require frame shift mode, Then i'll turn that on myself. And i don't need it to be mandated to me. Why are there three kinds of scanners, When there are only buttons for two fire groups? Why doesnt the FSS scanner auto identify a signal type and just list it on the screen for me. Do i really need to manually tune the dial for every little thing? That's terrible game design. Also indicative of this game overall. Overly complicated simple functions. Or twelve buttons for every little thing.

Mining, it was easy enough to understand that i needed a mining laser and refiner to go mining. Go through the massively overcomplicated flight controls to get to an asteroid, Hit the lasers, a piece flys off, And i have to chase it like a duck hunting dog, And scoop it into an opening under my ship. Only to get the message resources unallocated, Because it has more than one material, So i have to manually eject the unwanted part of each chunk, Every single time i mine. Could you possibly have made this suck any more than this? How about your ship extends a tube to suck up the chunks, Like someone would do in real life. And anything that your ship cant refine is jettisoned automatically. How about you actually tell new players where to get drones that collect the chunks. Horrible system.

I spent the last two days playing this game, And so far I have had zero amount of fun. Every single thing i try to do is overly complicated, Micromanagement in it's worst form. I can't stress enough how you have ruined anything resembling fun, In favor of "MORE BUTTONS" to push. More nonsensical steps to take to do one simple function. In the real world, We simplify things, We group things together under automatic control, So that the operator doesn't have to micromanage everything. This is not Kerbal space program, Where you build and fly your own ships manually. This is supposed to be a space adventure. But instead It's a space irritation.

Rewards Or the lack thereof. Ten chunks mined 38% of one unit of ore? How about with payout that low, I just tell you what to kiss, And quit this crappy job. Setting the difficulty high, Does not make a game enjoyable. it just shows that you don't care whether people are having a good time or not.

Anyway, I'm just glad that this game was free. So i won't feel bad about deleting it. Adios!!!

Yes the game is a mess, you can't find most of the info you need in the game itself and when you do your own research outside the game it shows that a lot of the games mechanics are redundant.

I started back in August and it felt like I had to learn to walk all over again, but therein lies the beauty.

The game doesn't hold your hand and a large part of the fun for those who stick around is the depth of knowledge to assimilate, I got Elite in trading and exploration before I figured out an efficient way to laser mine for example.

I have a couple of billion credits and a billion in ships and modules, my engineering materials are nearly maxed out but I'm still at the beginning of my journey. I can't fight for toffee and its a whole new skill set I have to learn.

Yes it's a time sink, it's supposed to be. Could it be less grindy? Sure, but why should it?

You get out what you put in and the resources to learn are readily available (albeit not in game)

Whatever you're struggling with, go find the answer and try it for yourself.

That or play something less immersive and immediate.

So back to your gameboy?

It took me about a month of play to get my bindings 'right' for me... I have some sympathy for the OP there as, particularly since 3.3, some of the bindings are a little elusive.

But, as pointed out in some less than kind language above, there is a learning curve to climb and choosing to mine to make credits in the first couple of hours isn't going to be particularly satisfying gameplay (in my opinion) for some.

Come back, OP, take it a bit slower and learn some of the other loops in the game, you may be pleasantly surprised!
I got a new Thrustmaster joystick a couple of weeks ago.
It took me well over an hour to set the keybinds how I wanted................only to press the esc key near the end & forcing it to come out without saving:eek:
Soo, started again & over a hour later finally had 'most' of it binded.
I'v been back in at least three times since, as it's still not all as I had it with my previous joystick....it's damn close though

Oh, & I've saved my bindings folder as well..........just in case I lose the bindings with this joystick.;)

Top Bottom