Elite is not Doomed

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
no. In fact, most "top xx VR games out now" lists don't include Elite...which they 100% should. It's like they're not even trying. As for competition, I don't think Elite has any yet. There are games that one might buy instead, but they're not the same...but if FDev is happy selling $3 mustache packs to an audience of a few thousand players....what I can do?

If the rumors are right and the next big thing is legs and bases, game's already dead.

Here you have five recent top VR games ranking pages I have found just by simple google search. There are many more from where those came from but I hope you get the gist. All of the them feature Elite in the top 10 or close. Not bad for a game that has been out there for almost 5 years.

https://all3dp.com/1/best-vr-games-for-playstation-ps4-oculus-rift-android-iphone/
https://www.trustedreviews.com/best/best-vr-games-3605173
https://www.pcgamesn.com/best-vr-games
https://www.techradar.com/best/the-best-vr-games
https://www.vrgamerankings.com/top-100-oculus-rift-games

As for the game death... I believe Elite was certified dead when the first alpha rolled out back in 2013. Any time now I presume, surely next year.

Last edited:
no. In fact, most "top xx VR games out now" lists don't include Elite...which they 100% should. It's like they're not even trying. As for competition, I don't think Elite has any yet. There are games that one might buy instead, but they're not the same...but if FDev is happy selling $3 mustache packs to an audience of a few thousand players....what I can do?

If the rumors are right and the next big thing is legs and bases, game's already dead.

When I first got this game I was raving about how awesome it was to people on another forum. I got a lot of negative responses. Most said it was a "grindfest" and boring.

You're right that just adding space legs and bases won't fix the fundamental gameplay issues. I think with mining update they took a step in the right direction. They focused on fleshing out gameplay elements.

They need to focus on fleshing out the game. The USS system should be a priority. There should be way more variety of encounters. There should be far more interesting missions. Powerplay should be more integrated into the game. You should be required to choose to be a citizen of one of the powers.

I disagree. I do not feel there is a general negativity at all.

There have always been people unhappy about X or Y and always will be. Its the same on every game forum ever.

In simple terms, there is no real reason to come onto the forums to post that you are happy with things, or like the way the many perfectly good systems work. People post more when that are unhappy then when they are happy or neutral.

DeletedUser191218

D
But i have to admit that, correct me if i am wrong, the general feeling of disillusionment that permeates this forum, Facebook threads, Reddit, YT comments, and so on is pretty unprecedented in how widespread it is.

Yes, there have always been doomsayers. But in the few years I've been hanging out here (lurking at first, and then as a player and active poster) I don't remember a period this dark.

Of course, this is the product of the "2020 announcement", plus the radio silence from Frontier (quieter than they usually are on all fronts).

I remember another period of negativity (about a year ago? Maybe more) that prompted either Zac or Dale (cant remember who) to write a damage control post, discussing the negative feedback and giving some hints about the future. Does someone remember the post I'm referring to?

Recently Paige had explained to us that the community team does not develop the game, therefore even if they spend their time doing interviews and "featured commanders" (initiatives of dubious utility) this doesn't slow down the development process. Well, with all due respect, no biowaste Sherlock, we can understand this ourselves. But if I can smell the disillusionment in the air, why can't they? Nobody is expecting a "hey, just kidding, we're actually dropping spacelegs next week!", but maybe some dialogue would help nonetheless.

It should be reminded that people don't come on to forums in complaint about the game because they want it to fail (ok maybe the odd one or two). People get wound up about the game's shortfalls because they're actually invested in the game's success. It has enormous potential but for some reason it feels like FDev lost the will to keep pushing (that some reason most likely being prioritising commercial company growth over developing one game). Whether white knight or doomsayer, we all want the same success and fulfilment of potential for ED. It's probably worth remembering when we're at one another's throats that we're all actually on the same side here.

Players gonna play, whiners gonna whine.

While I do have concerns and reservations, some decisions I agree with and some I do not, and a hope for 2020, I think the game is in pretty good shape, and is still a thoroughly enjoyable experience. No whining from me, just gonna play. The game is far from doomed.

I said SC and NMS. Consider all the features that NMS has added. And yes, even if it's never released, SC has changed what people expect. You have fully rendered ships with interiors. You can see your cargo in your ship. And in MMS you can build bases. You have planets with alien life.

All I'm saying is that those games have changed what we expect from a space game. I think FDev have recognized that and that's why they're working hard to deliver something for 2020.
But those things were talked about by Braben before the game was released so I'm not sure the plan has changed based on those games.

(base building, maybe, not sure)

OP should note that this kind of comment is exactly why it's generally a good idea to ignore whingeing. Posts criticising a hypothetical on the basis that it's not what they, personally, are looking for, and therefore stating that the game is already dead long before the hypothetical thing has actually happened.

Meaningful complaints about bugs and existing development dead ends seem to get lost under wave after wave of hogwash.

you think it's funny, but if FDev pivots Elite into an PFS, then they think it's played out and dead as a "flying space ships" game.

Yes I imagine the DLC will start with a grand cinematic as our new titular hero, Side Winder, builds a base camp out of the sad remnants of his permanently wrecked ship, before shooting an alien in the face for eternity.

I said SC and NMS. Consider all the features that NMS has added. And yes, even if it's never released, SC has changed what people expect. You have fully rendered ships with interiors. You can see your cargo in your ship. And in MMS you can build bases. You have planets with alien life.

All I'm saying is that those games have changed what we expect from a space game. I think FDev have recognized that and that's why they're working hard to deliver something for 2020.

I'm happy to say NMS has come on leaps and bounds since release and doing damn fine in my opinion. Its a game i keep thinking about getting. However, i burned out badly on survival games so it might be a while before I get another.

SC certainly hasn't changed what I expect. It has confirmed what I already knew, you can't throw money at a project and make it work if the management is incompetent. Fully rendered ship interiors is nothing new.

But i have to admit that, correct me if i am wrong, the general feeling of disillusionment that permeates this forum, Facebook threads, Reddit, YT comments, and so on is pretty unprecedented in how widespread it is.

Yes, there have always been doomsayers. But in the few years I've been hanging out here (lurking at first, and then as a player and active poster) I don't remember a period this dark.

Of course, this is the product of the "2020 announcement", plus the radio silence from Frontier (quieter than they usually are on all fronts).

I remember another period of negativity (about a year ago? Maybe more) that prompted either Zac or Dale (cant remember who) to write a damage control post, discussing the negative feedback and giving some hints about the future. Does someone remember the post I'm referring to?

Recently Paige had explained to us that the community team does not develop the game, therefore even if they spend their time doing interviews and "featured commanders" (initiatives of dubious utility) this doesn't slow down the development process. Well, with all due respect, no biowaste Sherlock, we can understand this ourselves. But if I can smell the disillusionment in the air, why can't they? Nobody is expecting a "hey, just kidding, we're actually dropping spacelegs next week!", but maybe some dialogue would help nonetheless.

The dark atmosphere is undoubtly the darkest in the entire Elite Dangerous history. However, the only reason why Elite isn't doomed yet is because FDev have more than one title in their portfolie. Thus, being able to shift money from title to title.
Elite currently lives from the casual crowd who are statisfied with good looking visuals and a screenshot generator. However, those of us who value gameplay and balancing are obviously unstatisfied. Also there is nothing to do except thargoid hunting and PvP for veteran players that already grinded their way to the top levels.
The result is a game that is a really good screenshot generator. But that's about it.

DeletedUser191218

D
Kind of related, but is there still supposed to be narrative driven missions this year? That would make a big difference.

Kind of related, but is there still supposed to be narrative driven missions this year? That would make a big difference.

Yeah would be great if the 'MISSION PACK' vids turned up this year (assuming they're not a dead end). Or some vamped up Carriers or whatever.

In short the game will change into No Man's Elite.

With bugs.

In short, a successful Legs DLC would help fund an Atmospherics DLC.

And they're called Thargoids.

Top Bottom