Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

If anyone wants to put the Observatory output into excel to sort that way, you can select all the entries it shows and copy them into Excel. Then I replace " - " with " # " and "- " with "# " (note the spaces) and then do Text To Columns with # as the separator and that generally gets things in the right columns.

Yeah, the wide ring check is firing a little too frequently. A function of parent radius is probably the better idea.

As for copying, you can change the dashes to octothorpes (or whatever other delimiter you want) in the settings window. The format of "copy all" is configurable.

As for copying, you can change the dashes to octothorpes (or whatever other delimiter you want) in the settings window. The format of "copy all" is configurable.

True, but even if that's done the - before "Landable" still shows up like this in the pasted table "Eol Prou JY-Z d13-1271 B 3 a- Landable " and that dash doesn't appear to be included in the editable format statement.

Alright, now that I've slept and showered I just want to compile a list of upcoming fixes/improvements. Mostly want to get it written down to cement it in my mind.
  • Fix "inf" rotation period issue (soon™)
  • Expose more options for text-to-speech (select voice/pace)
  • Investigate better text-to-speech APIs
  • Add some more built-in criteria (ringed earth-like et al)
  • Fine-tune existing built-in criteria (wide ring is bit too eager, landable large is completely arbitrary based on one person's post and I have no idea if it's okay)
  • Completely overhaul pop-up notification, the standard windows "notifyicon" based popup is woefully insufficient and doesn't seem to be working at all for some people.
  • Expose many more values for custom criteria. Some simple (has rings?), some less so (reading values from bodies other than the current scan, e.g. moons-of-current or parent-of-current so comparisons between them can be made).
  • Create a UI for custom criteria (this is a big one, and probably a long way off)
  • Improve flexibility of right-click "copy all"
  • Add "copy journal" to get original journal line (might increase Observatory.exe's memory footprint considerably, may not be worth doing?)
  • Dark theme
  • Look into supporting Frontier account and the Companion API to read journal data from PS4/XBone players (super long way off)
Feel free to suggest anything else you want to see.

Edit: Added API/console support bullet point

Edit: Added strikethrough to things I've completed.

Last edited:
  • Fine-tune existing built-in criteria (wide ring is bit too eager, landable large is completely arbitrary based on one person's post and I have no idea if it's okay)

Hi the large landables was me, I based that purely on the current thread of the 100 largest landable bodies that start at just over 18,000km radius, that seems a good spot to start the listing of large bodies. If we went down to 17,000km radius I think we would get to many, the number does seem to drop off on a sharp curve over 18,000km radius. To me that cut off point seems to be about right.

Glad to hear there's a reason behind the number you picked, that's cool then.

Interestingly, whether I pick 18000 or 17000 I find only one in all of my logs.

The pop ups should be standard windows toasts/notifications, which may or may not appear depending on various game and windows settings.

Thanks - I see that I had Focus Assist turned on (maybe by default). Once the servers are back up and running I'll see if turning it off fixes things.

A dark theme is definitely something I can look into adding.

If the notifications work well then I guess this is less important now.

The window should scroll automatically to ensure the newest item is visible though. If it hasn't been doing that then there's some kind of bug happening. Having the option for them to be added bottom-up instead of top-down shouldn't be difficult though, so I'll see about adding it soon.

I'll need to double-check this, but again it's less important if the notifications work well.

on the large landable bodies topic the largest landable body in the game according to EDSM is just over 24000 km. 18k is basicly perfect. i actually found a planet that was 20500 km and had a gravity of just over 10 g's.
which reminds me: any chance of getting extreme high g worlds added as a criteria? like anything above 7 g's gets noted.

on the large landable bodies topic the largest landable body in the game according to EDSM is just over 24000 km. 18k is basicly perfect. i actually found a planet that was 20500 km and had a gravity of just over 10 g's.
which reminds me: any chance of getting extreme high g worlds added as a criteria? like anything above 7 g's gets noted.

At the moment anything above 3g gets noted, that seems a bit low to me, but 7g seems a bit high, 5g and above is probably the sweet spot for G range. You get a lot in the 3-5g range, but over 5g s quite rare.

5g and above is probably the sweet spot for G range.
i just tried to hunt down any record setters for high gravity and i agree. even landable planets 20k+ km wide are usually only 2-3 g's. anything over 5 would be a nice find. for some reason i though the average was higher. also i tried to scan my journals for that 10 g planet i found. but it looks like that was in the ones i deleted before have the idea to just move them into a storage folder to use later. no screen shots or anything. :( also the record setter at the moment looks like a 9.89G landable in Kyloalks DL-Y G17 planet 4.

I picked 3g as a threshold just because I find it fun to drive around on planets with that much gravity. :D

That said, you can disable the built-in check and add your own custom one for gravity. A check for landable 5g+ would be:

Code:
<ObservatoryCriteria>
  <Criteria Comparator="Greater" Value="49.05">
    <Operation Operator="Multiply">
      <FirstValue Type="EventData">Landable</FirstValue>
      <SecondValue Type="EventData">SurfaceGravity</SecondValue>
    </Operation>
    <Description>Landable High Gravity (5g+)</Description>
    <Detail>
      <Item>SurfaceGravity</Item>
    </Detail>
  </Criteria>
</ObservatoryCriteria>

Also, I just tested this and discovered that the custom criteria check for gravity was completely broken, which brings me to my next point...

New Popup Notification Test Release

This release eschews the standard winform popup notifications for a "roll your own" custom popup window. The design is preliminary, I want to make sure it works for everyone before I put a lot of time into making it look pretty, so please let me know if it works for you or not. Text overruns are expected, but do let me know if they happen anyway, I need to dial in exactly how much space I'm working with. If you're perusing the source you may notice there are some vestigial remains of the old notification. Once I'm sure the new one works I'll be getting rid of it completely.
The new notification should work with Elite Dangerous running in borderless mode, but not in exclusive fullscreen.

Other changes:
  • Belt Cluster scans are now completely ignored. This fixes the error when reading "infinite" rotation periods, and they're never interesting anyway.
  • Fix custom checks that used gravity, was using the completely wrong value.
  • Fixed a crash that happened if you were lucky enough to have your very first scan while monitoring be "interesting".
  • Changed wide ring check to be dependent on parent body radius. It was a fixed threshold of 1 light-second, now it's five times the parent radius.
  • Some internal naming consistency cleanup, there were some remnants of when the program was called "EDDiscoMon", which was a terrible name.

i just tried to hunt down any record setters for high gravity and i agree. even landable planets 20k+ km wide are usually only 2-3 g's. anything over 5 would be a nice find. for some reason i though the average was higher. also i tried to scan my journals for that 10 g planet i found. but it looks like that was in the ones i deleted before have the idea to just move them into a storage folder to use later. no screen shots or anything. :( also the record setter at the moment looks like a 9.89G landable in Kyloalks DL-Y G17 planet 4.

The large bodies are never high G because they are mostly icy bodies, very low density so low surface gravity, the high G are all a lot smaller but metal rich high density. The record now for high G landable is I believe 11G, but at the level they come so rare it's like the 25,000km radius bodies. 3 to 5 is uncommon, 5+ is rare, 7+ very rare.

I've seen lots of worlds just over 3g and very, very few just over 4g so far, so ≥5g seems right as far as I can tell.

[...] i actually found a planet that was 20500 km and had a gravity of just over 10 g's. [...]
Where? If you've handed the data in already, I'd be interested in its location, as I just love high-g worlds!

i must admit i did not used this tool so far, but looks like it is the tool which can give me a months(s?) in the game. thank you in advance Vithigar! i have also a suggestion. it would be nice, if your tool can notice commander that current interestting finding is his own record, or even that this record had hit EDSM record... :)

"Own record" as in the biggest/smallest/etc they're ever personally found? Wouldn't be difficult to add, though I don't store any data persistently so it would be limited to "biggest/smallest/etc currently in your journal files", which isn't going to be everything the player has seen for many users.

I don't currently read any data from EDSM (or connect to the EDDN in any way), but it might be something to look into. "The biggest planet anyone has ever found" is certainly noteworthy.

Top Bottom