Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

You mean into the event logs? No, just tried again.
Don't worry too much about it, I can live without the app. Would just be nice to have. :)
 
How do I do that? I open via 'cmd', then what next?

Edit: Found it, google is your friend. Yeah, this starts it :unsure:
 
Last edited:
Needed to change location, first try gave an error message. Moving to >user>name worked. Still won't start conventionally though. I'll try to run the .msi installation via command prompt and see if I can use it regularly afterwards.
 
Only said something like 'observatory could not be found' probably because documents is not located under C:

Running ObservatorySetup like this did not work btw.
 
Can we find Human, Guardian, Thargoid signals on planets? That is what in "Locations" string in FSS details. If yes, how code will look like?
 
I'm sorry, what "Locations" string are you talking about? There are no values or properties with the name "Locations" in any of my journal files.
 
I mean the information from the first line here (known values are None, Human, Guardian, Thargoid as far as I know). It might look different in the log files.

location.PNG
 
Nice.
I don't know if you're aware of it, but Orvidius has far more records listed on his site, so maybe you find more things to add there :)
So far I did only a bit of expanding/updating of the original XML planetary records file. I was thinking of making a similar file for stellar bodies, but the stars didn't align so far for me having both time, motivation and my brain not being utter goo at the end of the day. ;)
There is some stuff on EDSM and Orvidius' site you can't do right now with EO (as far as I'm aware of), e.g. all records involving the position of the system, because "StarPos" is a journal entry on "event":"FSDJump", not on "event":"Scan".

The main issue withe the current XML format is: it becomes unmaintable very fast for continiously changing data.

Let's take the existing examples.
  • The definiton of a Taylor's ring never changes, so it is a one-time effort. (I still haven't found one. :()
  • To keep just the above record list up to date with Orvidius' site: Somebody would have to invest 1-2 hours once a week, to check if the records are still up to date, create a new XML file, and upload it to the forum (or someplace else). Then, once a week, every user manually would have to download the list and merge it into their XML file.
The latter one gets out of hand very fast, actually so fast I don't think even a manual weekly update is feasible, neither for the list "owner" nor the users.

So this would have to be some automated process:
  1. A script takes the current record data from Orvidius' site with the weekly update, and creates something Elite Observatory can read. (Propably running on ED Astrometrics as well, because it is just another output format.)
  2. Your local Elite Observatory offers an option that automatically gets that data and updates your current record holders criteria.
 
This is something I can probably automate in the new version. Still going to be a way off, I'll keep it in mind.
No pressure there.
I just wanted to point out why I think managing a lot of criteria against dynamic data will hit a limit quite fast.

The current manual approach works well enough, because threshold (galactic record breaker, if you hadn't noticed ;) ) is very high and thus data doesn't change that often. If something from that list triggers, you definitely found something worth looking into.
 
Top Bottom