Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

Just making sure here...the plugin is installed as EDMCOverlay, but the Elite Observatory log says EDOverlay plugin not listening?
That's fine. The EDMCOverlay plugin does self-terminate if Elite Dangerous isn't running and generating events, so you do need to be in game before anything can happen, including the overlay test.

Failing that, like I said, I'll have to take a closer look later. If you get anything different in the log then that might help as well.

Also just to make sure...

With EDMC plugins, the specific plugin folder itself just needs to be in the EDMC plugins folder, and nothing else needs to be done for EDMC to use them?

Also just to make sure...

With EDMC plugins, the specific plugin folder itself just needs to be in the EDMC plugins folder, and nothing else needs to be done for EDMC to use them?
Yes. The EDMCOverlay plugin installer should take care of it. When it's installed it should be listed in the EDMC settings plugins tab, like so:
1589996786428.png

Actually, just uninstalled 3.50 and installed 3.43.

The overlay works just fine in 3.43, so issue sort of solved
Thanks for trying that out. I'll see about getting the plugin updated to be 3.5 compatible. (I don't know if Ian Norton or @DeadMoroz are active here to talk about taking care of that, if not I can look into it myself.)

Hi,

I'm using Observatory for some time and it was fine. But recently I've installed new voices at my PC (Win7) and tested them with Voice Attack and Observatory and it was ok.
Now Observatory does not use the voice I set in my windows. Voice attack works fine with witch ever voice I set, but Observatory is stuck in one voice. In its settings, the test buttons plays the correct voice, but the software don't.

New release!

Spreadsheet And CSV Export

New feature that's probably one of the oldest outstanding requests, exporting the content of the main window to a file!
There are two ways to export, both accessible by right clicking the list, "export selected" and "export all". What they do is hopefully self-explanatory. You will also have two options for file types for the export, Office Open XML (.xlsx), and semicolon delimited text (.csv).
Why xlsx and not some other format like ods? Mostly on account of PicoXLSX being the smallest spreadsheet writing library I could find.
As ever, if there are any issues let me know.

Hi Vithigar

Can you help me with the voice problem below?
Thank you.

Hi,

I'm using Observatory for some time and it was fine. But recently I've installed new voices at my PC (Win7) and tested them with Voice Attack and Observatory and it was ok.
Now Observatory does not use the voice I set in my windows. Voice attack works fine with witch ever voice I set, but Observatory is stuck in one voice. In its settings, the test buttons plays the correct voice, but the software don't.

Hi Vithigar

Can you help me with the voice problem below?
Thank you.
I don't have a solution, unfortunately. The voice API used by Observatory is very old and I'm hoping to replace it with something newer and better supported, but for now it has some peculiar behaviors that I don't really understand the causes of.

Hello Vithigar, just found this app and trying to get it to show as an overlay. I downloaded the exe and ran from the download folder. I also had installed EDMCOverlay and set the default plugin location. I don't see any options in your app to use overlay, or find where EDMCOverlay was installed to so that I can check any settings there. I have EDDiscovery and Captains Log 2 installed and working OK (Captains Log 2 shows the overlay OK).
Any ideas? Sorry if this is simple stuff :)
Cheers

EDIT: Ignore for now. I saw your post about enabling notifications. I'm going to have a further play around with it.

EDIT 2: OK that worked. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, so got this working (sort of - see below), and normally I would have not given this set of moons another look, but since it popped up as "interesting" I decided to take a look. Glad I did :)

This was noted as a close binary, and it wasn't kidding.

A couple of questions though. The only way I can get the overlay to work is to run the overlay program in the appdata plugins folder. Is this how it's supposed to work? I can't find any settings for the overlay program or any link to it. How should it be run? I realise that this is not the thread for that program but hope someone can help.

Cheers CMDRs

A couple of questions though. The only way I can get the overlay to work is to run the overlay program in the appdata plugins folder. Is this how it's supposed to work? I can't find any settings for the overlay program or any link to it. How should it be run? I realise that this is not the thread for that program but hope someone can help.

Cheers CMDRs
There are two ways to use the overlay program, as an EDMC plugin (the "expected" way), or standalone. It sounds like you're running it standalone, which as you've discovered works fine, but you've got to dig around to find the program to run.

The two solutions I can suggest are grabbing EDMC (3.43, not the 3.5 beta) and letting it manage starting up the overlay program via the plugin, or simply create a shortcut to the program in a more convenient place.

There are two ways to use the overlay program, as an EDMC plugin (the "expected" way), or standalone. It sounds like you're running it standalone, which as you've discovered works fine, but you've got to dig around to find the program to run.

The two solutions I can suggest are grabbing EDMC (3.43, not the 3.5 beta) and letting it manage starting up the overlay program via the plugin, or simply create a shortcut to the program in a more convenient place.
Hi, thanks. I've been trying to get the overlay to work reliably but no luck. I've re-installed EDMarketConnector and how have access to the setting page where I can see the plugin listed. However even with this running the overaly does not work. I'll have a look for the 3.43 version and see if that helps. Thanks for the support.

Edit: looks like I have 3.43 installed already. I'll have a bit more of a play around with it. It used to work sometimes so need to find a pattern.

Last edited:
OK so looks like I got this working reliably. Seems it's dependant on the start order:

1) start ED, log in and get to ship
2) start EDMC
3) start Observatory

not sure if this is strictly right but it works for me :)

Thanks again for this app. It's opened up a whole new aspect of exploration. I'm now prepared to scan whole systems of 40+ bodies just to see if there's anything interesting (other than the usual ELW, WW, AW, TF).

Cheers CMDRs

This thread has been quiet for a while so I wanted to provide an update on what's been happening with Observatory.

I've mentioned a couple of times before that I was hoping Observatory would get to a stable place so that I can focus on a complete rewrite for the next version, and that does indeed seem to have happened! Unfortunately those of you with any outstanding issues or feature requests are going to have to wait for the rewrite to see them. On the upside, progress on the rewrite is proceeding!

The new Observatory will be a very different creature than the current version, though feature parity (and then some) with v0.5.20.153 is something I want to have before release. For those who haven't been following elsewhere here's some of what you can expect to see in the new version:
  • Completely new UI
  • Option to run without UI (console application)
  • Native linux build (console only, see below)
  • Improved support for legacy journal data
    • No longer ignores data earlier than Elite Dangerous version 2.3.01
  • Improved performance
    • Probable, though unconfirmed, this will be on account of System.Text.Json's vastly faster JSON reading speed over Newtonsoft.Json.
  • Complete overhaul of custom criteria into something easier to write
  • Plugin Support
To elaborate a little on that last point, the new version of Observatory is being built in a modular fashion. The "core" Observatory program will actually do very little on its own. ObservatoryCore contains the journal reader and monitor, event handling, a simple console interface, and will load and manage plugins. All end-user functionality will be provided by plugins, with several included in the initial release. The expected list of initial included plugins is:
  • ObservatoryUI
    • Provides the window based UI for end users, as well as desktop notifications
  • ObservatorySpeech
    • Text-to-speech notifications
  • ObservatoryOverlay
    • "In-game" notification overlay
  • ObservatoryExplorer
    • The current main functionality of Observatory. Reads scan events in the journal and checks for interesting objects
  • ObservatoryProspector
    • First non-exploration focused functionality. Monitors prospectors while mining and notifies of what they find based on user criteria
Unlike ObservatoryCore, not all plugins will have a native linux version, or at the very least will require separate versions. At launch I do not expect the UI, Speech, or Overlay plugins to work in linux.

Of course a big bonus of having plugins is that other people can create them! I will be providing an ObservatoryFramework library which can be used to write plugins in .NET Core. ObservatoryCore will be able to read and deserialize the entire Elite Dangerous journal into .NET classes provided in the framework, no one writing an Observatory plugin should ever need to read, parse, or otherwise think about JSON. Plugins will be dynamically loaded on startup by ObservatoryCore, and using interfaces provided by the framework are expected to add themselves as event handlers for the types of journal events relevant to their functionality, while in turn ObservatoryCore will have its own event handlers which will listen for notification and informational events from the various loaded plugins.
Naturally the ability to dynamically load and run arbitrary .NET code is potentially risky business, so all "official" plugins which I build and endorse will be signed, and ObservatoryCore will provide a warning when unsigned plugins are loaded.
On the horizon this might be extended (via a plugin!) to a simple scripting language like Lua to allow users to quickly create simple plugins without having to deal with the hassle of building/compiling a .NET project.

If you have any questions or concerns about this just let me know. I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support, kind words, and awesome screenshots. Keep it all coming!

Last edited:
It would be awesome to have a criteria interface that would allow for checkboxes for every journal criteria, and text fields to enter limits, so for example, I could put a check next to High Metal Content Body, Radius < 1000 km, landable, atmosphere >0, volcanism, and pull all those bodies

It would be awesome to have a criteria interface that would allow for checkboxes for every journal criteria, and text fields to enter limits, so for example, I could put a check next to High Metal Content Body, Radius < 1000 km, landable, atmosphere >0, volcanism, and pull all those bodies
At the moment the plan is to use something like the mXparser or NCalc libraries to allow you to write criteria using simple math expressions. So instead of some kind of insane xml construction you could simply write out something like Ring.InnerRad > 10000 & Body.SemiMajorAxis < 10000. (Syntax and object names not final)

That said, a UI being added in the future is also not out of the question.

edit: Completely spaced on the expression evaluation library I was looking at using. It is neither mXparser nor NCalc, but rather
Coding Seb's ExpressionEvaluator.

Last edited:
Top Bottom