Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

I wanted to thank two things:
1.- the excellent Observatory tool that so many good times has given me. I can't imagine exploration without a similar tool.
2.- having shared the sources of the application, which have allowed me to learn in Csharp.

In learning I have optimized large amounts of code and I have developed an observatory branch called edexplorer. Of course, if you are interested in it you just have to ask, they are yours. I have improved the general performance, especially regarding the detection of changes in the log. I have standardized the code, I have included records. It has only been done as a hobby.

Thank you for developing this wonderful tool.

Last edited:
So, this observatory is very nice - is there a list of custom criteria somewhere? I'm assuming people have written there own, is there a list I could perhaps browse through and select the ones I like? I started reading this thread, but - there's 41 pages of it

I have no idea what I'd like to include - just started using it - but I presume there's stuff the author has not included that other people have written up, or is it comprehensive and does not need any amendments?

I just zipped across from the bubble to Beagle Point, and it was extremely useful to have a little voice say "hey! You might want to scan this system!" instead of just ... scanning everything .... and ... hoping.

So, yeah, big fan.
The first post has a link to a collection of custom criteria, but I'll provide it again here no problem: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...y-while-exploring.521544/page-28#post-8257191

1.- the excellent Observatory tool that so many good times has given me. I can't imagine exploration without a similar tool.
2.- having shared the sources of the application, which have allowed me to learn in Csharp.

In learning I have optimized large amounts of code and I have developed an observatory branch called edexplorer. Of course, if you are interested in it you just have to ask, they are yours. I have improved the general performance, especially regarding the detection of changes in the log. I have standardized the code, I have included records. It has only been done as a hobby.

That's very cool. I definitely like some of what you've done here (the ability to specify values for the built-in criteria for example) and will be keeping some of it in mind for the Observatory rewrite.

This sounds nice, but is there a version beside the spanish one?

This sounds nice, but is there a version beside the spanish one?

Hah, I was thinking that. I'm just running it as-is. Nothing has happened yet - but I'm a bit worried something incomprehensible is going to be yelled at me in Spanish and I'm going to be overjoyed without realising I've just been told I'm about to run into a black hole or something

The first post has a link to a collection of custom criteria, but I'll provide it again here no problem: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...y-while-exploring.521544/page-28#post-8257191

Oh, yeah I saw that after I wrote my comment. And have added them to my observatory.

One thing I've noticed, though - it does not pick up water worlds (and possibly earth-like as well), I'm now just popping up the FSS window after I honk and looking for the little wiggly line where water worlds are - a couple of systems ago I saw one, flew over and scanned it, yep., water world - and then Observatory popped up to tell me there was a water-world in-system. Hmmmm.

Is it possible some of the custom criteria (I loaded all of them) are cancelling each other out?

Last edited:
All Observatory does is to read the log files. Honking only writes the number of bodies in the system to the log file.
So there's no way for Observatory (or any other tool) to tell you that there's a water world if you just honk.

Ohhh, I thought it writes the type of planet/etc into the journal.

Obviously I need to read some stuff about how Elite works to get my head around all of this

Ohhh, I thought it writes the type of planet/etc into the journal.

Obviously I need to read some stuff about how Elite works to get my head around all of this

When you scan the planet it does, but not until then, so you need to use the FSS to scan the body, then it gets reported to the journal, so by the time it can actually report that there is a WW or ELW in the system, you already know it's there, so little point in having that feature.

Yeah, no.
Once you get used to the FSS you can scan so fast that you don't realize what kind of body you just scanned. It goes 'center on body -> zoom in -> don't wait for the image to appear -> zoom out -> repeat until 100%'.
Although I use the surveyor overlay of EDD to show me interesting bodies this feature of Observatory isn't useless at all.

What I've been doing is looking for the little scanner wiggly line to pop up in the ELW or WW spots, or gas giants (scanning rings if they might have painite or LTD - although I'm like 60,000 LY from the bubble.... but eh what the hell) and if I see the wiggles I go looking for the planet and scan it. No wiggles in those locations, or only icy body wiggles, I just jump to the next system (I'm on my way to Colonia from Beagle Point).

Just wondering: I'm using a joystick to move the scanner around, can I bind a mouse to do this? Would it be easier?

The smallest wide ring I've found so far ;)
1600982507500.png

Actually quite cute, around its small MR parent:
IAr5OQJ.jpg

Yeah, no.
Once you get used to the FSS you can scan so fast that you don't realize what kind of body you just scanned. It goes 'center on body -> zoom in -> don't wait for the image to appear -> zoom out -> repeat until 100%'.
Although I use the surveyor overlay of EDD to show me interesting bodies this feature of Observatory isn't useless at all.
I use the FSS quickly like this and then go to the system map to see what I've scanned. If there's anything of worth there I'll then go and detail scan it. I think something like this tool would be good for a log so you could go back / remember places of interest later on.

This is such an awesome tool to have. Couldn't imagine exploration without it. Thank you so much for making it.

I'm not going to go back over Cmdr Pingmonster's journal at this point in time as it is reasonably extensive but the links are in my sig.

I put my name to a whole region of black holes to the east of galactic centre back in the day on the way back from Beagle (that was an great journey).

I'm now replaying as a different Cmdr (it's all there in the travelogue).

o7!

I have some ideas for custom criteria but I don't know if it is realisable and if so, how to do it.

• A notification if a star (M, G, K, F, A, B, Neutron star, Whit Dwarf) has a ring (not asteroid belt)
  • A notification if a planet has unusual geological structures such as high mountains or deep canyons
  • A notification if a planet has a high number of geological sites (maybe 45+)
  • A notification if a planet is more than 200,000 ls away from its parent star
  • A notification if the orbit of a moon differs more than maybe 40 degree from the equator line of its parent planet

Top Bottom