Empty cargo racks have mass now

I am sure some of you have noticed that empty cargo racks now have mass and will affect handling and jump range.

This is only since the latest patch (3.0) but there wasn't anything in the patch notes. Could FDev please confirm if this was intended and why?

t6C9w3q.jpg

Ujt5QX1.jpg

Last edited:
Racks do not have mass, only the predicted laden jump range changes in that picture. Current jump range remains the same because no cargo has been loaded. Max will never change, it is based on zero cargo and the optimum fuel load.

Last edited:
Racks do not have mass, only the predicted laden jump range changes in that picture. Current jump range remains the same because no cargo has been loaded. Max will never change, it is based on zero cargo and the optimum fuel load.

BTW, what's the meaning of the values for the total mass ? (these changed after installing the empty cargo rack)

BTW, what's the meaning of the values for the total mass ? (these changed after installing the empty cargo rack)

I think it has something to do with thrusters and movement. These values are based on all your modules, but your thrusters directly affect the third value which I know for sure is Maximum Mass.

Would be nice to get FDev in here to tell us exactly what these numbers are cause I've always wondered.

But why would min jump range be affected? My min jump range should not be affected if I install an empty cargo rack. What am I missing?

Min jump range includes full cargo weight, so fitting a cargo rack reduces min jump range because if you filled the rack with cargo, that’s what you’d get.

That middle number in the Total Mass section is the ships mass with full fuel and cargo.

These values are based on all your modules, but your thrusters directly affect the third value which I know for sure is Maximum Mass.

Correct, the 3 values are

Current mass
Max Fuel/Max Cargo
Maximum Thruster mass (dependent on thruster Class and rating)

Last edited:

I see what you're pointing out with the second item in "Total Mass" where the context is the ship's total achievable mass as currently configured. Note the 32T change for the rack is reflected here - value increases total mass by 32T to show being fully loaded with cargo.

The two sets of (three) values simply show the same info differently. "Total Mass" shows ship empty, ship + 32T, and total ship mass which I can only speculate as being the max. value the ship could ever be if installed with max. heavy stuff and cargo. The "Jump Min/Current/Max" shows different information with minimum range showing if fully loaded considering how the ship is configured = the second number shown in the "Total Mass" numbers. Does this make sense?

So nothing has changed. Looks normal.

edit: somewhat ninja'd!

Last edited:
Top Bottom