Enhanced VR immersion: Use HMD motion to move pilot's upper body and head

I think it would be a nice touch and also really increase the immersion if the in-game pilot's upper body followed the HMD position while seated. Including the head (with HMD rotation). Makes it possible to see "your own" shadow in some instances for example, and also ofc that the upper body follows you as one would expect. As the hand (motion) controllers is missing, just let the arms rest on the chair and controls as they are now.

Ofc within limits, say if you stand up IRL (or move too far from the initial, HMD reset position), maybe follow with the entire body FPS-style (or "detach" it, though less ideal). Perhaps Holo-Me even could have a height-slider (or auto-adjust while standing) to better adjust for users heights.

I've only seen something like this in one tech demo a few years ago for the Oculus Rift. It was the Star Wars: Battle of Endor demo. It's updated to CV1. I have the HTC Vive now, but a couple of years ago, when I first wrote this suggestion I tried it on my DK2. It worked except that the ship keept spinning (due to controller issues), so I haven't really tried it a lot. But it was immersive!

Support.

It's kind of funny that I can turn to look to the side/backward but the shoulders stay where they are... I expect it's not that easy to do though...
I'd put allowing ship shake (hyperspace, boost) as a higher priority though.

(Lateish) Thanks for the support. I don't know how hard it is in general (seems very from the few games that implement it?). Sure we lack elbow sensors, but some kind of inverse kinematic for most situations should still be possible (and better than none). As done in for example this game demo (not out yet afaik):

[video=youtube;dX3m8HiL-5c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3m8HiL-5c&t=284s[/video]

It should be even easier in ED, as we don't (yet?) even have free handling arms (just stuck to the cockpit controls).

Top Bottom