EPIC Newbie Advice....

For most of those Epic Newbies new to this game, here are a few key points. (Non-inclusive)

1) Never fly without a rebuy.
2) When turning in missions, explorer data or commodities, do it in Solo.
3) Complete the tutorals, they are your friend.
4) Build your ship to suit your stye of play. You don't need a combat ship for exploration or a trade ship for combat.
5) Submit to interdictions unless your a combat ship looking for a fight.
6) Use an auto-dock until you get comfortable with how it's done, then try a few without it.
7) Stay in the Starter System until you have a decent ship and a few rebuys. Then play in Solo until have a few weeks experience.
8) Open mode is dangerous. You will meet good commanders, pirates, gankers and experienced combat pilots trying to make Elite. It's dangerous, be prepared for that.
9) This game is fun. But learn the ropes. CQC is a good place to build your combat and flying skills. Solo is a good place to practice what you learn.
10) When your ready, then give Open a go. Most here don't like whiners who get ganked or killed in open, then come here to whine about it.
11) Open is for the big boys. Put on your "big boy" pants first. "Git Good" before you try it and just suck it up when you get bested. It will happen.
12) If you can make it in Open, then start working on your rank. Trade and Exploration Elite are challenging. Elite in combat means you get as good as you give.

I'm sure I forgot a few things, so if anyone else has advice, chime in.

Oh, Seven....

Big NO on (5) unless you're being interdicted by another player, in which case you're probably screwed no matter what you do.
NPC interdictions are incredibly easy to escape and if you submit to them you'll waste time getting back into supercruise and then be interdicted again.
Win the interdiction contest and the NPC stops interdicting you.

Big NO on (5) unless you're being interdicted by another player, in which case you're probably screwed no matter what you do.

For a new player, yes, most likely. But, this can be overcome with the proper application of angles and boost while your FSD charges.

Can I add one? Before selling a ship take it back to factory defaults first (so E Rated equipment). That way you will reduce your loss as you will only get back 90% of the value of the ship at the time of selling, including ALL upgrades! Because of this a 10% hit on my A Rated Cobra MkIII worth 10Mcr would cost me 1Mcr, whereas a 10% hit on a factory fresh Cobra MkIII with a value around 350,000cr is around 35,000cr.

Last edited:
Great start on a list OP, but I think it's order and makeup (so far) may assume a bit too much about the type of newbie who is starting. Having said that I can't yet tell you how to fix that. To me this list would have to be a bit of a tree.

My newbie advice might start like this and order is important:

1. Don't panic and make fun the priority!
  2. Don't rush and let all the tutorials teach you!
  3. Mistakes are your friend!
  4. Do you want play this game with others?
  5. Do you like combat, trading or exploring most?
At that point the tree kicks in.

As far as #5, when a newbie in a small ship is being interdicted by an NPC, the answer should always be to try for a bit to evade and submit if it's not going well.
If the interdiction is lost, it should be the evade mass lock or jump to the closest system thing.
Can I add one? Before selling a ship take it back to factory defaults first (so E Rated equipment). That way you will reduce your loss (a 10% hit on my A Rated Cobra MkIII would cost me 1Mcr, whereas a 10% hit on a default Cobra MkIII is around 35,000cr).
Good one, though the explanation might do with the simplification if possible.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I am also going to disagree with submitting to interdictions.
The OP advised to stay in solo mode until you are good enough, and I can't disagree with that, but if you are in solo, you're going to have NPC's try to interdict you, and in that case, always fight the interdiction. It's not hard against NPCs.

If you do venture into open, learn what a player looks like on the radar (a hollow box), and if a player is interdicting you, the tug-of-war will be much harder, and in that case you would be better off submitting. Once you drop out of supercruise, don't run, the chances are the player is better than you are and trying to run will only result in you dying. They will message you, do interact with them, message them back, but be polite and respectful. It might cost you some cargo, but most of the time all they want to do is roleplay being a pirate.

Yes there are those who will gank you and will kill you no matter how submissive you are, if that happens, note the commander name and block them.

The other thing the OP left off is to remember the star classes K G B F O A M ... you can scoop fuel from these with a fuel scoop. Learn where in the galaxy map you can select only those stars and how to apply them to route plotting.

Do the kinds of Nweebs that need this advice really read the forums? Dunno....but here go's..

1. The REBUY thing

2. Practice docking and landing in your cheapest ship

3. Always put 4 'pips' in shields (makes the tougher) when you practice docking and landing. DON'T HIT BOOST BY MISTAKE. (we've all done it)

4. Pick up everything, it's either worth money or worth engineering materials.

5. Open you left panel (defult 1) and go to 'Contacts' to check if all that lovely stuff you want to pick up is ILLEGAL where you are.

6. Scan everything, all the time. You get scan data, worth money or for engineering.

7. Running from a fight is Ok.

8. Dying in a fight is Ok.

9. Always read the mission fine print.

10. There's no 'Best' ship. (Except the Crusader)

o7

NPC interdictions are incredibly easy to escape and if you submit to them you'll waste time getting back into supercruise and then be interdicted again.

Big yes on No. 5.

Fighting interdictions against NPC's is a complete waste of time. Just submit, boost and go back into SC.

IMO.

Fight player interdiction though...

I literally haven't fought an interdiction in about 3 or 4 years!

I'd say it's good to know both options because both are viable depending on the ship you're flying.

The drop and flop minimises risk for an inexperienced player. But actually learning to beat the mini game is fun and worth mastering.

True, I lost my first 'diction in years a couple of days ago with my Epic Alt Cmdr.......though when it happened I was scanning a System in the FSS when the b.....d NPC player sneaked up on me & I hit the wrong button to get out of FSS, before he pulled me out - though being in my high rated Asp, I just boosted away waving goodbye🤣.

4. Pick up everything, it's either worth money or worth engineering materials.
Not really ...
Regarding the rewards for missions ....
If you want to rank up with a faction, either for Fed or Imp rep, or for a permit, pick missions that pay Rep+ and when collecting the reward, pick that option.
If you want materials for engineering, pick that option.
If you don't care about either of those, go for the money.

Don't just go for any mission, consider if you can do the mission, ie wing missions that want you to deliver 3,000 of an item would take you forever in anything less than a Imperial Cutter fully outfitted for cargo. Combat missions are no good if you're in a Python outfitted for cargo or an Asp Explorer outfitted for exploring.

Most important rule is:-

1000 player's playing ED will have 1000 different opinions of how to play, what to do, what Ship is best (or worst), how to setup said Ship (or how not to), etc, etc.
Do what YOU WANT to do, not because others are doing it.
Other players opinions are just that, opinions - no matter how passionately they'll express it.
Sure, it's nice to stay in tune with what others are doing, but you blaze your own trail here. You start playing another player's way, you may not like it & it'll become a 'grind'.

Just do what you're happy with:)

Most important rule is:-

1000 player's playing ED will have 1000 different opinions of how to play, what to do, what Ship is best (or worst), how to setup said Ship (or how not to), etc, etc.
Do what YOU WANT to do, not because others are doing it.
Other players opinions are just that, opinions - no matter how passionately they'll express it.
Sure, it's nice to stay in tune with what others are doing, but you blaze your own trail here. You start playing another player's way, you may not like it & it'll become a 'grind'.

Just do what you're happy with:)
This thread has already adequately demonstrated this fact :D

In the business of skinning cats, Elite tends to allow multiple ways to do it, often each with its own merits, suited to different people and how they prefer to play and it's better to know as many ways as you can to make an informed choice (undoubtedly one of its biggest strengths). These forums, however, will tell you that your way is wrong, do it their way, regardless of the above and in contradiction of the better practice of just sharing ideas (undoubtedly one of its biggest flaws, though apparently limited to this subforum).

@Paul Eddington - very kind of you to start this thread, uncannily enough I'd just posted a suggestion into a thread by an epic newbie about landing, and was thinking we should start something like this very thread. I don't know if you remember it or not, but when the game went live on PS4 there was a similar thread started by Ed Lewis, it might be worth digging it out and copying in some of the suggestions from there, or just pointing at it as an additional source of information?

Here's a couple of other suggestions:

Don't fly without rebuy!
On the right hand panel you'll see "insurance cost", NEVER EVER EVER leave starport without Credit balance being more than insurance cost. This figure is the insurance excess if your ship gets destroyed, and if you cannot pay the insurance excess on the rebuy screen, you don't get the ship reinstated and you could find yourself back in the starting sidewinder...

1st forum rule - ASK QUESTIONS RATHER THAN RANT ABOUT "BROKEN GAME"!
It might sound obvious, but the amount of (frustrated) noobs I've seen rant and rave about bad game design / broken mechanics / bug / hackers in the forum regarding an incident that boiled down to user error / first exposure to something new is quite surprising. I remember one guy ranting about how broken the game was and how poorly designed it was because despite his four shield boosters enemies were still going straight through the shields and shredding his hull in no time. It wasn't until we got him calmed down and got him to show us a coriolis build for his ship that it came to light that he was running four boosters, but no shield generator, so there were no shields for the boosters to boost...

Tip for finding landing pad
You know between the radar scanner and the target hologram to the left of that there is the little bubble spirit level "compass"?...
View attachment 198188
You've probably figured out that this instrument helps you find your navigation target, but what you may not know is that when you are docking, once you go through the "mailslot" this little instrument points towards your landing pad. This can be particularly handy to know about if your landing pad is one of the ones on the row nearest the mailslot as there is a good chance you'll enter the docking area in such an orientation that you cannot see the pad, with this little trick even if you cannot see your pad, you know what direction it is in relative to your ship.

When upgrading a ship, test your power priorities BEFORE you need them....
Trust me, you don't want to discover that because of your new modules extra power demands that when you deploy hardpoints the ship blacks out. Best way to do this is fly 10km from the station, deploy hardpoints and shoot a couple of rounds at the void. If your ship blacks out (thrusters offline + shields down + life support on back up air breathing like darth vader) right panel, modules tab, power priorities, start to set lower priority modules to higher numbers. For example, when fighting you aren't flying in supercruise, so you cannot fuel scoop, so put fuel scoop to priority two or lower (bigger number). Similarly, you aren't going to fight your way into a landing pad, so deprioritise docking computer - which is a surprisingly hungry module BTW. Same for supercruise assist, which is also a powerhog. It's also highly unlikely you need your ships weapons while you are in the SRV, so deprioritise SRV hangar. Next up is last resorts, things you don't really want to deprioritise if you can avoid it, but you can live with out them... The first of which would be cargo hatch - you are unlikely to be in a power hungry combat ship mining, so you can deprioritise cargo hatch which is also the cargo scoop, however this will prevent you from sooping up fragments of a ship (materials) you've just destroyed until you retract your hardpoints. Last resort FSD, to shave more power from your baseline power consumption you can deprioritise the FSD, but doing so will make it more difficult to hightail it out of a bad situation as doing this will mean your escape is no longer just a case of retract hardpoints charge FSD and wake out of there; it now is retract guns, wait on FSD rebooting, charge drive, wake out. This is like an extra 15 seconds before you can extricate a dicey situation.

Grab every material you can get your hands on...
Things like fragments of ships you destroy, or chemical elements from mining / SRV malarkys or mission rewards, or scan data from targeting and scanning virtually everything you come across, you will need them later on when you start to go to the "engineers" and craft upgrades to your ships modules. Even if you end up with a glut of any given material or data type, you can trade them at materials brokers manufactured / raw / encoded respectively.

Bind Supercruise and Hyperjump to different buttons rather than one FSD button...
Simple bindings change, change your FSD button from the default simple one button for charging both modes of FSD to having one button for hyperjumps and one for supercruise. Why? Often times you'll plot a course to a new star system, and when you go to jump to that system you cannot do so because a planet is between you and that star, so you need to move to get the star out of your road, but you cannot supercruise because when you press the fsd button it wants to hyperjump to your new star system, meaning you need to deselect the star, supercruise past the planet, replot your course to the new star and hyperjump to it. But, if you have separate buttons for hyperjump and supercruise, in the same scenario with the target star system being blocked by a planet preventing you to jump straight to it, you can press the other button and supercruise until you have a clear line of sight to the new star system then hyperjump.

Tip for efficient planetary landings, saves a lot of time / frustration
When approaching a planetary starport, try and set yourself up in "orbital cruise" such that your distance to the starport is roughly the same as your altitude, that puts you in a 1:1 glide slope, 45° on the pitch ladder, this is important as "glide mode", the 2,500m/s transition only works between 5° and 60° pitch. If you find yourself outside those angles when you drop from orbital cruise the ship will display a message glide aborted angle too steep/shallow (delete as appropriate). This message means you aren't gliding in at 2,500m/s, instead, the ship/fsd is leaving you something like 50-200km from target but in slow space on thrusters at a couple of hundred metres per second, which could translate at anything up to fifteen minutes of very boring slow flight.

Seems to be a lot of emphasis on "going open" toward the end and a hint of how you somehow are lesser if you don't.

Take all that Open stuff advise with the clause "IF you want to go open"
You may not want to and that's perfectly fine and doesn't make you any less or more a person if you do or don't, but yea, if you pop in and get blasted then come complaining. Nobody is going to have sympathy for you.

Last edited:
EPICally bad advice :ROFLMAO: I'm presuming you omitted the 'never' here. Only time to submit is against a player, but since most of the rest of your list is 'be scared of Open' I guess not.
That's funny because I got the vibe of "open is scary but do it because all the cool kids do" from it.

Top Bottom