EPIC Newbie Advice....

"Never Fly Without Rebuy"

How many times have we seen that quoted? Said it myself, more than a few times. Yet what did I do with my Epic Alt? Bought an Adder, then moved up to a DBX ... kitted it out with enough equipment to survive pirating ... bought plenty of cargo (need the credits .... I'd forgotten how valuable credits can be at the early stages of the game) ....

You know how this is going ... intercepted for my tasty cargo ... so I submit to do combat, thinking this wouldn't take long ... except as my shields go down, I suddenly realise I had less credits than the rebuy ! Hull 80% ..... 70% .... desperately trying to get out of trouble, fumbling the pip keys to boost the jump (yes should have hi-waked !) .... 30% ......

I got away with 11% hull. So the moral is .... if you fly without rebuy, be prepared for an adrenaline rush if you survive the experience ! 😬

Noobie advice -
Learn to dock. Then buy a normal docking computer.
Fly through the slot at full pelt and slam on the brakes. Let the computer work out where you should be. Much quicker.

I'd say it's good to know both options because both are viable depending on the ship you're flying.

The drop and flop minimises risk for an inexperienced player. But actually learning to beat the mini game is fun and worth mastering.
It maximizes risk because it exposed you to being shot at, and it requires you to do a bunch of specific steps correctly or die. It’s way easier to line up the red circle with the blue circle than it is to remember all the throttle, targeting, and side panel moves you have to do to resolve the situation in real space after you drop out.

Worst case result for trying to line up two circles and failing to escape an interdiction puts you in the exact same situation, just with a longer cooldown timer. For a beginner this isn’t going to make a difference; either they know how to boost away and maintain distance to escape, or they don’t, in which case they’ll die before the shorter timer finishes anyway.

But most importantly, if you drop&flop, and then go back into supercruise, you’ll just be interdicted again almost immediately. I see constant posts from people complaining about “chain interdictions” and demanding frontier “fix” this supposedly broken mechanic; and it’s because people think that submit+boost is the Correct Way to deal with interdictions.

It maximizes risk because it exposed you to being shot at, and it requires you to do a bunch of specific steps correctly or die. It’s way easier to line up the red circle with the blue circle than it is to remember all the throttle, targeting, and side panel moves you have to do to resolve the situation in real space after you drop out.

Worst case result for trying to line up two circles and failing to escape an interdiction puts you in the exact same situation, just with a longer cooldown timer. For a beginner this isn’t going to make a difference; either they know how to boost away and maintain distance to escape, or they don’t, in which case they’ll die before the shorter timer finishes anyway.

But most importantly, if you drop&flop, and then go back into supercruise, you’ll just be interdicted again almost immediately. I see constant posts from people complaining about “chain interdictions” and demanding frontier “fix” this supposedly broken mechanic; and it’s because people think that submit+boost is the Correct Way to deal with interdictions.
Drop and flop requires four button pushes. Throttle down, throttle up, boost and supercruise. I've never, not even in a shield less ship, been taken out doing it.

Yes, they can come at you again and that's a downside but on most trips they'll never get to you before you drop out and I repeat, this is just another way to do it if the mini game isn't your thing. And it might not be easy for everyone. You're just assuming it is. The cost of failure is severe if a player is weak enough to struggle with drop and flop.

Drop and flop has never failed me. Not since 2014. And I find it way faster than the mini game. I'm sure if I could be bothered to that I could also win the mini game, I found it easy back in 2014 (and I never fail to interdict npcs on the other end) but the last time I did it, it used to bug out sometimes and leave you in serious trouble. So I just tried drop and flop (or just drop and kill actually). And never looked back. I'm sure others' mileage differs.

Different strokes. Your way isn't the only way. It's not even objectively better. It's just one of three options to evade interdiction by npcs.

It's best if people know them all, the benefits and the risks. But "nope, bad advice!" is an opinion and contradicts others who perhaps don't see it the way you do. New players can try all the options, see which suits them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom