Elite / Frontier Every Version of Elite

I found out on some other forums that Garisoft was an unlicensed Italian game distributer that operated during the '80s. The games they released were unlicensed bootleg copies that used substandard packaging and often included only the most basic of instructions if at all.

So it looks like this version is not official, but it is still an interesting version to have now that I know some of the history behind it.

I found out on some other forums that Garisoft was an unlicensed Italian game distributer that operated during the '80s. The games they released were unlicensed bootleg copies that used substandard packaging and often included only the most basic of instructions if at all.

So it looks like this version is not official, but it is still an interesting version to have now that I know some of the history behind it.

Or you could call it an official Boot leg copy - probably more rare than official copies.

Probably Purchased at the EPIC Markets :D

LOL. Lets go with an Official bootleg copy!

They probably do sell that kind of... ultra-rare... official (bootleg) software there! Hang on a minute, which EPIC Markets are you talking about? The one in the ACT?

Yes - Been there a few times - but now live in Vic.

OK, I will also post all the pics, as I have complete and working boxed editions for all of the following (in no particular order) ;

1. Sinclair Spectrum 48k - Tape - Red Lenslock Edition
  2. Amstrad CPC - Tape
  3. Commodore 64 - Tape
  4. Atari ST/STE Rainbird Edition - 3.5 Disk
  5. Commodore Amiga Rainbird Edition - 3.5 Disk
  6. Tatung Einstein - 3inch Disk
  7. BBC Master 128k With 6502 Second Co-Processor - 5.25 Disk Acornsoft
  8. IBM PC/Tandy 512k - 5.25 Disk
  9. Sinclair Spectrum 48 OPUS Edition - 3.5 Disk
  10. Pocket PC/iPAQ - CD
  11. Apple II - 5.25 Disk
  12. NES - Cartridge
  13. Atari ST - 3.5 Disk - Firebird Edition
  14. Sinclair Spectrum 48k - Tape - Black Lenslock Edition
  15. Amstrad CPC - 3inch Disk
  16. Commodore 64 - 5.25 Disk
  17. BBC Model B - 5.25 Disk - Acornsoft Edition
  18. Acorn Electron - Tape
  19. MSX - 3.5 Disk
  20. Commodore Amiga - 3.5 Disk - Firebird Edition
  21. Acorn Archimedes - 3.5 Disk - Hybrid Edition
  22. BBC Master Compact - 3.5 Disk - Acornsoft Edition
  23. BBC Model B - Tape - Acornsoft Edition
  24. Acorn Electron - Tape - Acornsoft Edition
  25. Commodore Amiga - 3.5 Disk - Elite Plus
  26. IBM PC VGA - 3.5 Disk - Elite Plus

Phew... :D

AllMyElites_zps293fa4c2.jpg

If you want to see any photos of a particular version/edition, let me know, and I will post it up.

ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!!!!

I got only the PC 5 1/4 " version, any chance you can copy the 3 1/2 still?

As I was looking for the Leroy book, I also stumbled on this interesting cheat that let's you do things like create new galaxies, apparently in the Amiga version. Not having that version myself, I wonder if it works?

http://eager.back2roots.org/CHEAT/e/elite.htm

Yes that works :).
"Creating" new galaxies means that with the SARA cheat, you can control the seed of the galaxy and thereby, which planets are in the galaxy. In Elite, a galaxy is procedurally generated from a _6 byte_ input. So that means that _all the information_ necessary to create the whole galaxy is contained in these 6 bytes. In the cheat screen, those 6 bytes are at 0E through 13. And that also means that instead of the 8 "official" galaxies, you actually have 256^6 galaxies to visit (ok, 256^6 - 1, because the galaxy 0000 0000 0000 is pretty boring :) 256 poor industrial anarchies named '' with tech level 6...).
On Ian's website (http://www.iancgbell.clara.net) you can still find a copy of Text Elite, which uses a similar galaxy generation algorithm, where you can try this.
Or you could use the Oolite online galaxy explorer -- it's somewhere in the wiki, I think...

Last edited:
Nice collection!
I think i'm one of very few to own the (boxed) Elite MSX Tape version though :p

Last edited:
The MSX and Tatung Einstein versions are rarer than hens teeth, even on Ebay. I did bag myself an MSX disk version a while ago though :smilie:
Lol i'm sure :).
It's funny, it was a very good version of Elite. Included the missions and had great graphics. But it's rarely named as being one of the best. I guess because nobody played it on MSX.

I also played the C64 version on a friends computer for a bit and the only gameplay difference i found were those bugs that infested the ship on C64, MSX didn't have that.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case or did ALL of them come with it and mine is just missing it ?

Cheers everyone.

I definitely had a spectrum version that didn't have the lenslok - think it was the 128k version as I remember playing in on the Speccy +2. Picked it up in Boots in either Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft when on holiday. I think it was also missing some of the ship types from the earlier Spectrum version too.

Last edited:
I definitely had a spectrum version that didn't have the lenslok - think it was the 128k version as I remember playing in on the Speccy +2. Picked it up in Boots in either Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft when on holiday. I think it was also missing some of the ship types from the earlier Spectrum version too.

Yes it was the re-released Firebird Gold version that was made 128K compatible. I think the box was the same, perhaps just with a sticker saying it was compatible... will have to venture into the loft & dig it out!

I'd got it for Christmas and was initially completely panic struck to open it up and find the lenslock 'missing'. I'd been borrowing a mate's that did have a lenslock in the weeks before, and it looked like my Christmas was about become a disaster! Fortunately I decided to try loading it anyway and soon spotted that the loading screen was different...

Elite48k_loading_screen.png
ELITE128_TAP_0060.png

Not sure if the original had a turbo-load too but the re-release was just a standard speccy load that even overwrote the loading picture with the data file name! I don't think there were any ships missing, but the next thing I spotted was that the type face was the standard Sinclair font, which I was pretty disappointed about! Bad form Firebird!!!

Wasn't too impressed at the time, so I decided to make my own tape that had a new loader and POKE'd in an improved font and symbol graphics based from screenshots I had in "Your Spectrum" magazine!
Yep, I've always been a bit of a tinkerer! :D

Original 48k version ......................... 128k re-release .................................... My edit!
Elite48k_text.png
Elite128k_text.png
Elite128k_Andy_J_text.png

The S/E and warning circle graphics weren't the same as the original release either. In fact the circle was wonky and flickered, so I'd fixed that too! :D

Original 48k version ......................... 128k re-release .................................... My edit!
Elite48k_space.png
Elite128k_space.png
Elite128k_Andy_J_space.png

wasn't quite the same as the original 48k but much kinder on the eye than the bodged re-release! :cool:

Ah fond memories. :) No turbo load on the original game, but you did have the lenslok of course. Nice work on tweaking the 128k version. 8 Bit Kudos!

With the speccie version, you either got Kraits or Adders, but never both at the same time. Not sure why.

I had the 48k version from 1985. Still have the lenslok and the cassette.

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
I have a question, someone recently posted a launcher that ran all the various PC versions of Elite, was that topic removed?

Lol i'm sure :).
It's funny, it was a very good version of Elite. Included the missions and had great graphics. But it's rarely named as being one of the best. I guess because nobody played it on MSX.

I also played the C64 version on a friends computer for a bit and the only gameplay difference i found were those bugs that infested the ship on C64, MSX didn't have that.

I can confirm that the MSX version is indeed a good version, and is very playable. I think the 64 version beats it, but only just. The MSX version is not a common version, so it does have a certain rarity.

6e6e2c0b-e191-40b0-babf-b6d52c6fef5a.jpg

Found this today in a charity shop.Someone in the shop must have checked ebay because it cost me £18,still worth every penny.Got a collection of 5 now so i'm catching up slowly :D

Top Bottom