Hi Commanders,

I am thinking of switching from the Annie to a Krait Phantom for exploring.

It should hit more than 70ly. Not because I am in a rush in exploring, but because it is helpful to reach remote systems. And because it helps if you wanna get home quickly.

I will optimise life support eventually in Colonia.

I am happy for any post which helps getting a phantom above 70ly.

Is a downgrade in thrusters possible etc.?like with the jumpaconda...?

Thx 4 your help and have a fun time out there!

o7

Edit: found this so far...

Last edited:
Not an expert myself, but from what Coriolis says it seems you could shave off a few tons with a Guardian PP and thus gain 3/4 ly max jump range:

I'm not an expert either, but that seems like a very fine build. I've only done one long trip, which was Sag A* in a Mamba (long trip). I arrived with no scratches in the hull and intact modules, so my conclusion was that AFMU's were somewhat unnecessary, but they have zero mass so if you have the slots bring them.

Safe Travels! :)

What about a 3A PP? It's not got the very "low" efficiency of an engineered 4A, but it's only 2.5 T giving extra jump range, and 0.4 is pretty low, and should stay cool even when scooping.

amfu's are useful if you accidently flew too close to a star while watching netflix or need to use a lot of neutron star boosting. if you're paying attention and not in a hurry you can leave the amfu behind. my exploration conda has 2 because i am paranoid and i have literally never had to use them for any other reason then jet cone boosting and stupidity. XD

70ly was the goal for mine as well :)
16t fuel is imo enough for a 5a fsd, and
you still can boost with the 1d pd, although just once in a while ;)
I have 3A Guardian PP and 3D PD in mine. I just don't like switching off modules. 4C fuel tank, 2G SRV hangar, AFMU because of the Neutron jumps. It can boost if need. It successfully finished Beagle Point trip. Best ship EVER! 🙂

Throwing my 2 cents in:
Taken the build from the OP and modified it to what I would do:
What I changed and why:
Downsized the PP to a 3A and used Armored -> Still enough power, still runs decently cold, more integrity, lighter than the 4A.
Upgraded SRV hangar. Out in the black you cannot get a destroyed srv back, so it's good to have a spare one. 2nd AFMU is not needed at all.
Upgraded repair limpet controller because 1D just won't do much.
Added Heatsink. You never know when you might need it.
Jump range with 65 laden is just fine, you can pretty much go anywhere you want, except for a very few edge cases above and below the plane.

For the 70ly you'd need to make compromises that I wouldn't recommend, or switch to a conda.

Here's my chopped purist version. Essentially I removed all safeties, no heatsinks, no shields, no limpets, fully stripped:

Only thing left in are the dual AFMUs, because you need at least one for extensive neutron boosting and they don't weigh anything. Ah, also the heavy-duty alloy with deep plating. No added weight when using the "lightweight alloy". That ship can make a 71Ly jump with 16 tons of fuel on board, might even do 70+ at about 20 tons. But with a full 32 ton tank it appears to be impossible to reach the 70Ly.

You don't want to crash into anything with that though. No protection and no way to repair the hull.

Here's my chopped purist version. Essentially I removed all safeties, no heatsinks, no shields, no limpets, fully stripped:

Only thing left in are the dual AFMUs, because you need at least one for extensive neutron boosting and they don't weigh anything. Ah, also the heavy-duty alloy with deep plating. No added weight when using the "lightweight alloy". That ship can make a 71Ly jump with 16 tons of fuel on board, might even do 70+ at about 20 tons. But with a full 32 ton tank it appears to be impossible to reach the 70Ly.

You don't want to crash into anything with that though. No protection and no way to repair the hull.
I like this one. (y)

Either go extreme or go for the full pack with mining gear and a fighter hangar. In that case you'll need a Conda, but I think the somewhat ugly bridge of the Conda with it's limited view and materials/colors looking like something from the 1970's subtract from the enjoyment.

Throwing my 2 cents in:
Taken the build from the OP and modified it to what I would do:
What I changed and why:
Downsized the PP to a 3A and used Armored -> Still enough power, still runs decently cold, more integrity, lighter than the 4A.
Upgraded SRV hangar. Out in the black you cannot get a destroyed srv back, so it's good to have a spare one. 2nd AFMU is not needed at all.
Upgraded repair limpet controller because 1D just won't do much.
Added Heatsink. You never know when you might need it.
Jump range with 65 laden is just fine, you can pretty much go anywhere you want, except for a very few edge cases above and below the plane.

For the 70ly you'd need to make compromises that I wouldn't recommend, or switch to a conda.
OP wants to switch from Conda and still have 70 Ly ;)
Perfectly doable with a Phantom.

But you are right with dual srv for safety on longer trips.
1D repair works fine for me, even if you have to harvest some more mats for the limpets it adds to the immersion ;)

-edit
70ly with 2 srv, but shieldless :)

Last edited:
My phantom build is quite similar to what others have already posted. The intent of my build was maximum jump range for really making time headed OUT. Of course, at some point, you don't need huge jumps and can explore more "locally".
  • The 2A engineered power plant is REALLY minimal. But with prioritizing modules, it does just fine.
  • I have the AFMU, SRV, and other non essentials on lower priority.
  • I did want shields, an SRV, and even a little cargo room just in case I found something worth taking.
  • Going with the smallest gas tank let the computer plan longer hops than the big tank. (Made that mistake on my first journey out.) With the 3C tank, I can plot 71.5 but with the 5C it only gets about 67.4. Just be careful on route plotting and when in sparse regions.
  • Opted out of heatsinks and relied on planning and the AFMU instead.
  • I have no boost potential with the tiny distributor, but that was fine by me.
A couple other thoughts... Do a shakedown run. Go out and make about 10-20 jumps out with the plan to come back and re-outfit as needed. On DW2, I started with this but ended up refitting a couple times. Ultimately, when I made the final run to Beagle I went with the MKII so I could carry a few more things. Nothing like hopping in a SLF and zooming through canyons to break up the monotony of long distance exploring.

And finally, if you don't really do any planetary exploring and have plenty of mats for everything you may need, dropping the SRV and shields can add another 1.5LY on top. Just a thought.

Thanks for the input. Heatsink is needed for me... 😁

The railgun, i guess i get one for fuel burning.

One or 2 srv - will decide that from task to task. For deep space exploring i prefer 2.
For shorter, like 10 or 20kly one will do for me.

16t fuel tank will be enough,won't it?

A downgrade to a 3ish-thruster seems not possible i guess?

Thanks so far!

I believe choice of module fit should also encompasses your own play style. I'm often quite reckless so the need for a good shield, solid hull and twin SRV is an absolute must for me, regardless of weight cost.

It seems thrusters can't be made smaller than 4 for this ship. Also, you can use the 32t fuel tank, and just not fill it up all the way. Maybe at some point you do need the extra fuel capacity, so you can scoop on demand. For my Coriolis build I just picked the 16t to see the effect on jump range. But I'd install the 32t one, because it gives you more options.

Top Bottom