Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Worked immediately :) ... but, why can't I resize the window? My screen - laptop - has resolution of 1366x768.
and yes, I'd like to get a nicer piece of hardware ;)

Cheers and keep up the great work.

Hiya and thanks :)

I made the deliberate decision to have a fixed window size so as not to have to compromise the UI, to be frank :)

It's unfortunate that others might have a smaller screen resolution than mine. But I'm not going to compromise on the UI :)

Regards

Scalable objects? :p Just kidding. Would work on my surface, but ED is not really what I call ueber joy there :D even f 1.3 made things better!

Scalable objects? :p Just kidding. Would work on my surface, but ED is not really what I call ueber joy there :D even f 1.3 made things better!

Yeah "scalable objects" is something that can be done in Qt4, probably, with a lot of work and effort that I don't particularly care about ;)

Regards ;)

if I have made a mistake on a planet/star or body, how do I either 1 rename it or alternatively delete the entry (so I can re-add it in)?

if I have made a mistake on a planet/star or body, how do I either 1 rename it or alternatively delete the entry (so I can re-add it in)?

As you've found out, clicking any of the bottom row of star types increases the count for that star type.

If you click any of the top stars, this decreases the count for that star type. If that count reaches 0, the top row star will disappear. Easy. ;)

For the planets, get out of "Add a planet mode" by clicking on the X. To remove a planet, highlight the planet you wish to remove and click the -. Easy.
Oh, and simply select whichever star system it is that you want to correct your error on, by clicking whatever line on the Jump Table on the left hand side corresponds to the star system you need to edit. Again, easy ;)

Regards

Must say I'm impressed with it so far, though sometimes it seems a little slow to respond to mouse clicks and key presses. That aside, it does everything I need it to. Thanks!

Looking forward to see what you do with the planet place holder and I'm also wondering how best to deal with planetary rings, other than by adding a note.

Must say I'm impressed with it so far, though sometimes it seems a little slow to respond to mouse clicks and key presses. That aside, it does everything I need it to. Thanks!

Looking forward to see what you do with the planet place holder and I'm also wondering how best to deal with planetary rings, other than by adding a note.

Cheers :)

As for the slowness - that may be down to the star icons in the jump table view - they're created on-the-fly, because I wanted to be fancy and have a count number stamped on the icons, which means I have to do some fancy footwork with an original blank icon image, additionally create a mask so that their background is transparent, create the icon image from original plus mask, then write however many of the star types onto the image, then create a new Widget out of that.

So there's quite a lot of Stuff going on just to display a simple star icon with a count - frankly I'm surprised it's as fast as it is ;)

Note that's the star counts on the table on the left hand side, not the clicky stars on the right.

I'm still in the "how will I achieve my idea?" stage for replacing the planet add placeholder. I have an idea/concept. But it'll probably involve learning OpenGL to implement the cool UX concept I've come up with ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Been using it for like 200 jumps now and it's working fine. Excellent work, sir! :cool:

Thanks, glad it's working for you. :)

Hi,

Question on updating versions, I presume that any existing database is just updated and the current trip is maintained?

Thanks & Regards

Hi,

Question on updating versions, I presume that any existing database is just updated and the current trip is maintained?

Thanks & Regards

Yep. I'm trying not to make any more changes to the database format. At the moment, when a program version is upgraded, it still reads the same configuration info saved from the last version, and thus loads the same database - you won't lose any data.

If in the future I make changes to the database schemas between versions, I'll make sure the old format is converted to the new one.

Regards.

Cheers :)

As for the slowness - that may be down to the star icons in the jump table view - they're created on-the-fly, because I wanted to be fancy and have a count number stamped on the icons, which means I have to do some fancy footwork with an original blank icon image, additionally create a mask so that their background is transparent, create the icon image from original plus mask, then write however many of the star types onto the image, then create a new Widget out of that.

So there's quite a lot of Stuff going on just to display a simple star icon with a count - frankly I'm surprised it's as fast as it is ;)

Note that's the star counts on the table on the left hand side, not the clicky stars on the right.

I'm still in the "how will I achieve my idea?" stage for replacing the planet add placeholder. I have an idea/concept. But it'll probably involve learning OpenGL to implement the cool UX concept I've come up with ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, glad it's working for you. :)

It certainly is! So easy to use and records just about everything I need. The few overs go in the system notes. Perfect.

Yes, I got thinking about the planetary stuff. A lot of complexity in there. I wish you good luck!

As you've found out, clicking any of the bottom row of star types increases the count for that star type.

If you click any of the top stars, this decreases the count for that star type. If that count reaches 0, the top row star will disappear. Easy. ;)

For the planets, get out of "Add a planet mode" by clicking on the X. To remove a planet, highlight the planet you wish to remove and click the -. Easy.
Oh, and simply select whichever star system it is that you want to correct your error on, by clicking whatever line on the Jump Table on the left hand side corresponds to the star system you need to edit. Again, easy ;)

Regards

thanks for that,

UPDATE : New version released : 1.0.0 Beta 5

NOTE : Uninstall Beta 4 and previous versions before installing Beta 5 - Application is now 32-bit so it'll run on 32/64-bit Windows

Changelog:

- Application is now 32-bit. It will work in both 32 and 64-bit Windows.
- reduced width of window further to fit into a 1440x900 screen size.
- Now checks to see if you've given the correct Logs directory during initial Configuration.
- Adjusted the size of the jump table header borders so they should be curved in other people's systems.
- Estimated System Value low and high ranges now split into own columns in exported CSV file.
- added a UI update signal in the star icon creation routine to show the program is doing something whilst populating the jump table with jumps.

I just wanted to say I downloade this back at 1.0.0 beta 3 and am absolutely loving it... about to upgrade it now :D

I want to also say thankyou for taking the time and expending the energy to create this wonderful tool...

Last edited:
The next iteration of Captain's Log

I'm working on converting CL into an overlay-type app - so it should be awesome for people with only one monitor.

So far I've converted the main window into a borderless window, with transparency, and can manage to keep it on top, over the game. That's half the battle right there :)

Next up is to have a nice way of rolling up and unfurling the window and we should be golden.

Stay tuned. ;)

EmGVM6Z.jpg

Thank you for this, it looks like I became an explorer at the exact right moment!
Can't wait to finish work, get the kids to bed, and try this out!
*Yells "Kids, go to bed!"
"But it's only 6 o'clock!"

I'm working on converting CL into an overlay-type app - so it should be awesome for people with only one monitor.

So far I've converted the main window into a borderless window, with transparency, and can manage to keep it on top, over the game. That's half the battle right there :)

Next up is to have a nice way of rolling up and unfurling the window and we should be golden.

Stay tuned. ;)

View attachment 46275

We won't be golden until we can overlay it, with depth, on the oculus rift

NM, Avast used to be good, until V7.
Drep crap is messing with me d-loading the file.

Last edited:
Top Bottom