Failure Developments at it again

Okay, confession time - I haven't even started the download yet, a few other projects going on that are taking precedence. To be honest I haven't even checked to confirm the cost of the update, but going by some of the reactions here I am guessing a three figure amount at minimum. Just hope that figure is in US currency and not the British pound!

Yet other MMO (not that Elite can be classed as an MMO) developers manage to release patches on a regular basis without blowing up their games. This is not a problem specific to MMOs, it's a problem specific to FDev.

I'd like to know what games you are playing. I play Fortnite (you know, owned by that company that is currently raking in billions and one of the most popular games in the world) and ever patch has some serious bugs. Console players especially have issues.

Last edited:
Yeah hes got a point. I have been pc gaming since the 80's on an atari 800xl and i cant think of an instance, including FD's previous incompetence, that rivals this update for sheer destructive, money grubbing idiocy.
I think what makes it seem worse is that Frontier keep doing it. This update itself is not that bad, but it's that it keeps happening.

I'm sorry Frontier to be critical, but you announced Arx months ago ... you've had months to work on it, QA it, beta test it with players ... oh wait, you don't do that any more, do you, I forgot, sorry .... my point is, it's not like you announced this last week.

Feel free to quote my previous message and point out where I wrote "all other MMOs". Go on, I'll wait.
Yet other MMO (not that Elite can be classed as an MMO) developers manage to release patches on a regular basis without blowing up their games. This is not a problem specific to MMOs, it's a problem specific to FDev.

Oh, you actually meant just some MMOs? In that case, what's your point?

I think what makes it seem worse is that Frontier keep doing it. This update itself is not that bad, but it's that it keeps happening.

Which would indicate they either are not capable of improving or not willing to improve.

So no point in people getting their panties in a twist over it. You either accept it or move on.

No, its not good (before anyone suggest that i think its fine), but more a case of c'est la vie.

Which would indicate they either are not capable of improving or not willing to improve.

So no point in people getting their panties in a twist over it. You either accept it or move on.

No, its not good (before anyone suggest that i think its fine), but more a case of c'est la vie.
Yup, no reason to ignore it though. People have every right to say 'Frontier, fix this mess ASAP.' Not that it would make a difference...

I don't want to make a new thread saying something very simple, which is that Elite Dangerous deserves better than this. I can't say i know anything about development times, whether they are long enough or too short, i can't say i know about the difficulties of programming, but this update is undoing the good work that was achieved when we got the new ways to explore and mine last year. I also have to say that some players would be better off cooling it with their language, because there will most likely be people at Fdev with their heads in their hands, depressed at what has happened, while simultaneously having to think clearly to go ahead with a fix.

Deleted member 38366

D
Well, either way.... Releasing Alpha Builds that clearly didn't underwent stress testing sure isn't a great motivation to "cool, let's go shopping and hand them some money".

I wouldn't say anything if this was 2014 and the Game be sailing under "Early Access" flag. However, that's "not quite" the case :p

PS.
Personally - luckily - not affected much, since I'm thousands of LY out Exploring. Just missing the Codex Stats to keep track of how many Systems I've done on that trip - blank pages everywhere.
Still, this doesn't bode well for the future and leaves a very poor impression.
I just can't fathom how or why any Decisionmaker in a Multi-Million shareholder corporation would accept such a Release with these widespread quality issues. I'd rather eat my own hat.

But things are broken.

You can say no all you like but stuff is still broken.

How dare I criticise anything!
It's more likely that most people don't really care that much as the major issues will be fixed in due time and its only a computer game. For myself, none of the bugs seem to be affecting me as I am on the other side of the galaxy and my game is experiencing zero issues.

I see this on reddit a lot, so much that i wonder if it's organic, or something else....
I suspect pr droids. Most big companies astroturf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Astroturfing is the practice of masking the sponsors of a message or organization (e.g., political, advertising, religious or public relations) to make it appear as though it originates from and is supported by grassroots participants. It is a practice intended to give the statements or organizations credibility by withholding information about the source's financial connection. The term astroturfing is derived from AstroTurf, a brand of synthetic carpeting designed to resemble natural grass, as a play on the word "grassroots". The implication behind the use of the term is that instead of a "true" or "natural" grassroots effort behind the activity in question, there is a "fake" or "artificial" appearance of support.

Back
Top Bottom