Favorite hotas throttle

I have the CH Throttle, I bought it for ED along with the CH Fighterstick and I've been pretty happy with them, though I've never used other throttles so can't compare.

Buttons and 4 way hats are well placed for my hands and the mini joystick is great for vertical and lateral thrusters and tuning in the FSS, but I've had to add a little deadzone for the ministick.

Throttle movement is ok in feel, but if I look at the CH Control Manager, the throttle Z-axis value tends to jitter a bit and the throttle sometimes "sticks" in-game and doesn't go full throttle or 0 throttle, lifting the throttle unit and putting it back down usually "fixes" this. It seems that this jitteriness and "stickiness" is usually fixed by spraying the pot with contact cleaner and/or soldering the pot connections, which apparently are just clamped. I've meant to do these fixes for a while, but I've yet to reach the threshold of irritation to actually do something about it. I'll do it in the next 40 years, promise.

I don't have control manager installed - everything works just great without - ED and flight sims. (I use Fighterstick and Throttle in ED - I also have Yoke and pedals used in sims - all connected all the time and no issues.)

I have to say my Thrustmaster Cougar. I've been using it now for nearly twenty years. Ergonomically it's fantastic and the microstick is about perfect.

Early on I swapped the pots for Hall Sensors and removed the detents. And I actually own two modded Cougars, but the throttles are identically configured. The feel of the metal is great and after all of this time it's probably the best money I've spent in gaming. I like the Warthog, but unless the Cougar ever goes belly up I don't see a need to make a switch. It's the ideal stick for Falcon BMS, and everything else too.

You know, I have a huge bottle of this magic throttle lubricant and will happily take care of anyone's FCS throttle for them. But it's probably not gonna be cheaper than buying a bottle of the stuff in the first place after shipping and a nominal work charge. If you happen to live in or around the capital of New York, then drive up service is always an option. :)

For the record I'm on my second FCS throttle but only my first t16000 stick. Go figure, I should play the lottery or something. Original throttle failed after four years, when the throttle head data cable got too fatigued (it's a cheapo cable).

I have the CH Throttle, I bought it for ED along with the CH Fighterstick and I've been pretty happy with them, though I've never used other throttles so can't compare.

Buttons and 4 way hats are well placed for my hands and the mini joystick is great for vertical and lateral thrusters and tuning in the FSS, but I've had to add a little deadzone for the ministick.

Throttle movement is ok in feel, but if I look at the CH Control Manager, the throttle Z-axis value tends to jitter a bit and the throttle sometimes "sticks" in-game and doesn't go full throttle or 0 throttle, lifting the throttle unit and putting it back down usually "fixes" this. It seems that this jitteriness and "stickiness" is usually fixed by spraying the pot with contact cleaner and/or soldering the pot connections, which apparently are just clamped. I've meant to do these fixes for a while, but I've yet to reach the threshold of irritation to actually do something about it. I'll do it in the next 40 years, promise.

When it comes to calibration for the throttle control, I usually only calibrate forward throttle to 90% to get full throttle in the game.

89o67587r4643754685.jpg

Last edited:
I need more buttons on the Joystick and I'm stingy

Are you already using shifted commands?

Here's what I wrote in a different thread a few weeks ago

"I offer this advice from time to time. I often see folks wishing their stick/throttle had more buttons. And while this will not put literally every possible key assignment on the device, it can get most of the way there.

Consider making a 'shifted' button. A shifted button is one that, when held down, tells the program to use a different command when any button is used, while the shift button is also used. You want to make it a button that is comfortable to reach and hold. Do not assign any command to it. Map your stick as normal, skipping the shift button in the controls section of ED.

Now you are free to assign an entire new set of commands to those same buttons, but when doing so hold the shift button down while pressing the desired button for the command in the mapping section. On my stick for example the shift button is S1 (the "pinky" button on the back side and bottom of the stick handle). So a shifted command will show something like Landing Gear = S1 + R2. R2 could therefore be set to toggle nightvision to pick an example, and S1 + R2 is landing gear.

In this way you can nearly double your stick/throttle commands. I say nearly, because you are assigning nothing to the shift button (twice) "

(nearly) double the commands, all free and easy :)

Are you already using shifted commands?

Here's what I wrote in a different thread a few weeks ago

"I offer this advice from time to time. I often see folks wishing their stick/throttle had more buttons. And while this will not put literally every possible key assignment on the device, it can get most of the way there.

Consider making a 'shifted' button. A shifted button is one that, when held down, tells the program to use a different command when any button is used, while the shift button is also used. You want to make it a button that is comfortable to reach and hold. Do not assign any command to it. Map your stick as normal, skipping the shift button in the controls section of ED.

Now you are free to assign an entire new set of commands to those same buttons, but when doing so hold the shift button down while pressing the desired button for the command in the mapping section. On my stick for example the shift button is S1 (the "pinky" button on the back side and bottom of the stick handle). So a shifted command will show something like Landing Gear = S1 + R2. R2 could therefore be set to toggle nightvision to pick an example, and S1 + R2 is landing gear.

In this way you can nearly double your stick/throttle commands. I say nearly, because you are assigning nothing to the shift button (twice) "

(nearly) double the commands, all free and easy :)

Maybe I use the right brain for the joystick and the left brain for the throttle and didn't thought I needed to use both :p, thanks for the tip about the shift button ;)

I upgraded from the Warthog throttle to a Virpil T-50CM2.
I love the analog hat on the VIrpil for strafing.
But there's a couple of things I miss from the Warthog:
  • All controls for your thumb are in line with the sweep of your thumb. The Virpil requires forward/back thumb movement to reach everything.
  • Switches on the handle. I used the side switch to hold on secondary fire (for continuous kill warrant scanner), speed brake switch to hold the scoop open and boat switch to enable reverse throttle or swap yaw/roll. The virpil has no latched controls on the handle, just momentary.

Top Bottom