FDev needs to release the panther clipper alongside fleet carriers, for the people who hate fleet carriers.

Insects and fish would be easy enough to implement. You just need little specks darting around. Though, No Man's Sky managed to do it all. If their algorythims were toned down a bit so you didnt get rhinos flying on baby butterfly wings, and the graphics were more realistic, it would suit Elite Dangerous just fine.

NMS pretty much nails the basic minimalist gameplay loop: see weird lifeforms, observe it, get rewards for that, move on. The aesthetic would obviously need less hoping pineapples in elite but the concept is solid all the same. Give me atmo planets with some sort of flora/fauna generator and spacelegs and they can just focus on maintenance and releasing more ships every once in a while.

I hated the Panther Clipper in FE2 and FFE. It's so slow and cumbersome to fly, and sure, you can stuff a pair of small plasma accellerator beams in its turrets, along with 4000 shield generators or so, and just park it in the Riedquat system and roast pirates until you get bored, but it was like flying a very, very, very slow brick.

No fun at all.

Please don't bring that ship to Elite Dangerous. Now, the Boa might be interesting. I mean it's also super slow, but at least it's not a Panther Clipper.

I really don't give a damn a out the panther clipper.

I agree with Max.
It truly is the end of days!
I hated the Panther Clipper in FE2 and FFE. It's so slow and cumbersome to fly, and sure, you can stuff a pair of small plasma accellerator beams in its turrets, along with 4000 shield generators or so, and just park it in the Riedquat system and roast pirates until you get bored, but it was like flying a very, very, very slow brick.

No fun at all.

Please don't bring that ship to Elite Dangerous. Now, the Boa might be interesting. I mean it's also super slow, but at least it's not a Panther Clipper.
The Panther is the opposite of what I want from ED. Heck, I've been flying a dolphin last week, an Adder the last few days and my pimped hauler is coming over from the Bubble. Not as a taxi, no, as a genuine multi-purpose ship to simply play the game with. I cannot see the panther as anything other than boring to fly, solely designed to earn more trade profits. With the current game mechanics as they are, it seems a pointless ship to me. I hope that when they add it they do more with it than just create a much bigger T9 with even crappier flight characteristics.

I could live without fauna at all on planets 'bearing life', because it is assumed that 99.9% of the life in the universe is of very low complexity (microscopic, apart from Earth, the guardians, and the thargoids). Flora would be more of a n issue though, we can see the green from space, there needs to be grass and 'trees' of varying colours and shapes, and that would indeed be challenging.

It would be challenging to make it realistic, on a 1:1 scale planet, and have it unique every time too.

You guys, y'all want to transport more to earn more and you've only got a drain to spend it on.
Before the Clipper and all the big stuff comes out we NEED the economy fixed, cut all of these dumb mining excursion carp' and look at allowing players to actually mine downside (on planets), constructable mining and drilling equipment, ore processing plants, liquid and gas refining plants, settlements, manufacturing, farming and fishing industries!
and that's just scratching the surface of what's possible, but as long as players are led to believe (and believe) it's all about shooting someone in space that's all it will ever be, so there really is no need for a Panther Clipper.

Now, I must get off and get some medication... Nursie!

The Panther is the opposite of what I want from ED. Heck, I've been flying a dolphin last week, an Adder the last few days and my pimped hauler is coming over from the Bubble. Not as a taxi, no, as a genuine multi-purpose ship to simply play the game with. I cannot see the panther as anything other than boring to fly, solely designed to earn more trade profits. With the current game mechanics as they are, it seems a pointless ship to me. I hope that when they add it they do more with it than just create a much bigger T9 with even crappier flight characteristics.

Small (and the smaller medium) ships are so much fun to fly. Sure, they're wildly inefficient credit-generators and nobody is gonna earn an FC using one but they 'feel' like spaceships. When I fly a large ship I feel like I'm just killing time waiting for the next menu screen to load.

And now I've agreed with Skippy. I'm going to go lie down in a dark room until reality returns.

Small (and the smaller medium) ships are so much fun to fly. Sure, they're wildly inefficient credit-generators and nobody is gonna earn an FC using one but they 'feel' like spaceships. When I fly a large ship I feel like I'm just killing time waiting for the next menu screen to load.

And now I've agreed with Skippy. I'm going to go lie down in a dark room until reality returns.

Honestly, I bet we spend 99% of our time here arguing about the 1% we disagree on. :p

Hehehe

Think about how many long-requested features Frontier has tried to pay lip-service to with Fleet Carriers:
Player trading, commodity storage, player-owned stations, player economy, executive control of capital-class ships etc...

What makes you think that Fleet Carriers, with their immense cargo capacity, aren't a full-blown replacement for the Panther Clipper?

That would be depressing.

Why should a Panther Clipper be any bigger than say the Imperial Clipper? For all it may have been in FE2 or FFE, a clipper is a class of ship within a range of sizes. If it were as big as a cruiser then it's no longer a clipper. If it's carrier sized, then it's a dreadnaught, not a clipper any more. The earlier games got the size wrong, that's all.

The Panther Clipper needs to be a truly big ship, too. It absolutely should not fit in the mailslot or a large pad. It should take a minimum 2 extra crew or 1 extra player to fly it, and it should only be landable at large surface cities, capital ship docks, and fleet carriers (frontier would need to figure this out, originally I thought the support ships would detach from the front and also be huge ships in the same vein as the panther clipper, but now they're locked in).
Its unreasonable to take over a year on an update that only what? 2% of players can manage? The panther clipper should cost 1 billion. Game balance is baked into the limited landing prospects and crew penalties alone- no weekly payment is required.
Honestly I think this is what support ships should have been as well, except without the ability to jump system to system without their carriers.

IMPERIAL EXPLORER! I WANTS IT! I WANTS IT!
It's much larger than the Cutter, but it's an explorer/ colonizing ship

Last edited:
Top Bottom