First contact today!

THE CORROSION!

I wonder if the corrosion is some sort of beacon for the ship to hone in on across hyperspace? New question; how many interdicted pilots had corrosion damage at the time of interdiction? That is, corrosion damage, so if they'd just recently been carrying a probe and their ship was still damaged from the corrosion?

Because for there to be corrosion, there must be something causing it - is it actually some sort of acid leaking out of the probes, or is it some sort of spatial distortion the probes let out (the mirage effect around them and the bigger ships) - either of which could attract those other ships?

Also, if the aliens are using some sort of biologically-grown ships, then our ships are literally beds of nutrients for them. I wonder if the "corrosion damage" isn't the probes trying to grow stuff out of the petri dish of nutrients that is our ships, and if one of the things they grow isn't some sort of beacon?

I didn't have corrosion resistant cargo racks and got it after only a couple jumps.

I have read in a very old GalNet article when the UAs were new and fancy, that the corrosion has something to do with a defence mechanism of the UAs, gathering materials from their environment to defend themselves/make up for those that have been lost. Something like this. But I can't recall details as it's been such a long time.

I didn't have corrosion resistant cargo racks and got it after only a couple jumps.

I have read in a very old GalNet article when the UAs were new and fancy, that the corrosion has something to do with a defence mechanism of the UAs, gathering materials from their environment to defend themselves/make up for those that have been lost. Something like this. But I can't recall details as it's been such a long time.

i thought they were self repairing by absorbing nearby materials or something

So, question, then; has anyone been interdicted
A) with a corrosion-resistant bay? or
B) without any corrosion damage?

Some have been interdicted without any alien cargo at all, but they may have had corrosion damage they hadn't yet repaired?

Still waiting for any of the commanders who were rumored to have cargo stolen to confirm and say whether they had shields or not - and whether the shields were up or not after they regained power.

Last edited:

Some have been interdicted without any alien cargo at all, but they may have had corrosion damage they hadn't yet repaired?

Still waiting for any of the commanders who were rumored to have cargo stolen to confirm and say whether they had shields or not - and whether the shields were up or not after they regained power.

I've had a corrosion resistant bay for a very long time, had great difficulty getting interdiction. Eventually I ended up picking up Unknown Probe, flying for a while, changing navigation preferences, and getting interdicted finally. But no damage was sustained that I could tell.

I had a corrosion resistant bay and no corrosion damage when I had my meeting with the flower folk :O

I've had a corrosion resistant bay for a very long time, had great difficulty getting interdiction. Eventually I ended up picking up Unknown Probe, flying for a while, changing navigation preferences, and getting interdicted finally. But no damage was sustained that I could tell.
I had a corrosion resistant bay and no corrosion damage when I had my meeting with the flower folk :O
That's very good to know. It rules out corrosion being the only factor, but it doesn't rule out corrosion being a factor. It's interesting that Mal noted great difficulty getting interdiction with the corrosion resistant bay.

Probably just a happenstance coincidence, but interesting nonetheless.

Darn. This ain't bein' easy. It'd be real nice to be able to get like, 10,000 jumps of data and be able to cross-reference the various possible causes.

That being said, I mostly work theory stuff, so I don't really have too much experience handling large amounts of data and trying to find correlations.

Last edited:
I was interdicted tonight in Pleiades Sector TZ-O b6-3. I was in Maia, and just set course for Shinrarta Dezhra using Economic jumps. The interdiction happened at the 10th jump.

I was carrying no Alien/Unknown objects - just 32 canisters of Silver. I did, however, just fill my glass with some fine product from John Jameson & Son, which helped I am sure.

Last edited:
Got interdicted today, January 17, 2017, 1:25AM MST Arizona time in the Merope system. For the previous two hours I'd been flying back and forth between Maia and Merope to see if I'd get interdicted. I decided to go to an alien crash site, pick up a UA, and resume jumping. On the fourth jump back and forth after I'd picked up the UA, I was interdicted. Scanned it with an array of sensors and didn't get anything interesting, as I'm sure other commanders have tried doing as well. I placed myself directly behind it and tried determining which star it was jumping to, but there wasn't any and it just seemed as if it was jumping straight towards dark space.

From what I'm seeing here, carrying a UA won't promote or demote the chances of being pulled out of witchspace. It looks like a totally random event that doesn't have any variables attached to it. I don't think these things care what a ship is carrying. They just seem to be gathering intelligence. And that is always the first step whether you are preparing for war or diplomatic negotiation. Know your opponent's (I don't say enemy because we can't tell why they are doing this) strengths and weaknesses and if at all possible, how they think.

I would laugh so hard, if it turns out later that carrying an UA didn't increase the chance of being hyperdicted, but finding it in the cargo hold filled the internal "war against the humans" bucket and hence lead to an attack rather than peaceful contact ...

I would laugh so hard, if it turns out later that carrying an UA didn't increase the chance of being hyperdicted, but finding it in the cargo hold filled the internal "war against the humans" bucket and hence lead to an attack rather than peaceful contact ...

there are sure a lot of armchair critics that claim UAs dont affect their chances despite it clearly being the other way, all ill say is sell those UAs when youre done that can assist in other developing storylines

there are sure a lot of armchair critics that claim UAs dont affect their chances despite it clearly being the other way, all ill say is sell those UAs when youre done that can assist in other developing storylines

How is it clearly the other way? People are getting interdicted whether they have UA's or not. It doesn't seem to affect the chances. If I'm missing something, please fill me in. Because I've seen reports of just about as many getting interdicted without them as with them. If FD wants to chime in and confirm or deny, fine, but absent that, let's see some evidence.

Last edited:
How is it clearly the other way? People are getting interdicted whether they have UA's or not. It doesn't seem to affect the chances. If I'm missing something, please fill me in. Because I've seen reports of just about as many getting interdicted without them as with them. If FD wants to chime in and confirm or deny, fine, but absent that, let's see some evidence.

Im also looking for evidence that not having UAs is as effective as havign them im yet to see the other sides evidence either

as usual Fdev are staying very quite on it preferrign to keep all the cards right up to their chest

Last edited:
Is it still the case that this is happening only in the Pleiades area? I read someone claiming that stuff's happened out Colonia way, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Is it still the case that this is happening only in the Pleiades area? I read someone claiming that stuff's happened out Colonia way, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

I'd like to know this too, heard some stories of other areas being affected.

- - - Updated - - -

This is similar to when I was hyperdicted. Sad that the UA makes no difference considering the toix corrosion I was facing haha.

We have data on this.

A huge majority weren't carrying a UP, but a large majority were carrying a UA.

Last edited:
We have data on this.

A huge majority weren't carrying a UP, but a large majority were carrying a UA.

Thank you for that link. This seems to indicate the UA haulers and crash site visitors are more likely to be interdicted with the ones carrying and scanning UP's are less likely to have it happen. But that could be coincidence. I don't assume it is, I'm just saying in the absence of hard data this is a possibility. What I see here is anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence can be compelling, but it can also lead you astray.

Anyway, thanks again for that informative link.

Top Bottom