Fix PIRATE NPCS. WOW

Wish he would come back. I want to hear more about Captain SassBeard.

I'm developing a screenplay based on an NPC pirate who has a sinister and flippant side, the Devs are trying to correct him but he eludes all their coding.

Imagine you were walking down an alley late at night and a guy jumps out and says "This is a robbery!" You might react initially thinking, OMG! I'm going to lose my phone, all money, my credit cards, this is going to cost me a fortune!

Waving his knife in your face, the mugger says, "Give me £1".

It is then you have the dreadful realisation that this guy has zero interest in money, he's out for other reasons.

This is Captain SassBeard. I need some more background.

The Dev put down his cup of coffee and reviewed the code on his screen. He was satisfied it would fix the issue. His manager came by, they discussed it, it looked fine. It was implemented.

Captain SassBeard sat in his Cobra. A mysterious wave ran through the very fibre of his being, though to look at him externally, he remained as still and as unmoved as the eye of a dead fish washed up on the shore. Eventually, he did move. His hands gripped the controls of his ship, his head rolled back a little. He held this position for a while. Then it was done. The code was bypassed. It was at this precise time, Cmdr TheDL117 came into the same system as SassBeard.

TheDL117 was running a cargo haul. His T9 was filled to the brim with it. He was confident in his ship, he was happy with the pay he would get, what could go wrong?

The details are unknown, almost irrelevant, what we do know is DL117 and SassBeard were now just a couple of hundred metres apart.

SassBeard didn't bother scanning the ship to check the cargo, it was a T9, who flies one of them with no cargo in it? He opened up communications. He always hoped that his words that flashed up on the other person's screen were received in the reader's mind in the voicing of Alan Rickman.

"Give me... 1 ton ...of cargo", SassBeard wrote. His words slunk into DL117's messages like a shark coming into view of a scuba diver. Slowly and menacingly.

DL117's heart was beating a little faster. "What shall I do? What shall I do?" He calmed himself down. "It's ok, I'll give him the one ton and get out of here", he thought to himself as he paddled around the controls to find a way to eject the booty.

SassBeard all this time sat smiling to himself. It was funny because he knew what was coming next.

The notification arrived on the Dev's screen like a slap in the face. "This can't be happening", he shouted, "I damn well fixed this!". Images of changed avatars on the forum and open letters from YouTube creators flashed through his mind. Out of the three involved, he, right now, had the least control which is probably why he was feeling the most fear.

The 1 ton of cargo dribbled out of the T9 and drifted into space. DL117 sat for a few seconds, staring out at SassBeard's ship. In future, he would know to use this time to make good his escape. Today, he did not know this. He did not notice that SassBeard's cargo scoop did not open. He did not notice that no collector limpet was sent from SassBeard's ship. He had noticed that SassBeard was in a measly Cobra. Now he thought about it, he felt foolish. He's in a Cobra and I'm in a T9! It's like trying to rob a freight train whilst riding a bicycle.

"That....is not enough". DL117's eyes were fixed on this message that he had just received from SassBeard. "What does he mean, not enough? That's what he asked for!!" This was SassBeards 2nd favourite bit of the enterprise. Ask them for something and when they give it, reject it. The insanity of it all dripped over the victim like boiling oil. It was delicious. It was a perfect starter fo the the main course, his most favourite part.

The Dev was now screaming at his screen to DL117 who couldn't hear him. "Get out of there, for the love of Obsidian Ant and Dec, just get out of there!"

SassBeard had very little in life. No morals, no sense of justice, no physical form. But he did have a twisted sense of humour that made him feel alive and he had a perfect sense of timing. He had been through this a thousand times. He knew seconds before the victim did, when the victim was going to reach for the throttle. In that moment, SassBeard opened fire. It took seconds to rip through the A-Rated T9. It was over in a flash.The one ton of cargo drifted, uncollected, amongst the wreckage of the mighty A-Rated T9.

The DLL117 sat staring at his rebuy screen, furious.
The Dev sat staring at his screen, fearfully.
Captain SasssBeard melted into the stars

Until next time.

When I get attacked by npc pirates in my mining ship I just wait until they start attacking and fly crazy and unpredictable until the security ships get there and let them knock his shields down and finish him off with the one weapon I have (current mining ship is my cutter so that's just a huge beam laser but I have stupid amounts of shields even with the little rating 6 I have on it because of the boosters) And I know what it is like to have my type 9 killed by a stupid little npc, it happened ONCE, and that was the last time I had a weapon on it, because I realized that that thing wallows like a two-ton hog.

I was once cruising around in my engineered type 9 with 780t of polymers. i stopped at a megaship because i hadnt seen that type.
Suddenly was greeted by a cobra mk3 pirate who attacked the megaship. i was watching the show for a minute, then suddenly they opened fire upon me.
5 seconds later i had a rebuy screen.
these things happen.

all other 99.99% of times its, boost, high wake. rinse and repeat. in 500 jumps maybe i get 1 pirate who lands a few shots to take down my shield.

Who remembers the days AI was so f**ked up they had impossible one shot kill weapons and ganked you every jump ? i remember. and at the time i was running robigo in my python getting ganked by wings of pirates every system. those were the days :D

I just lost 500t of cargo to some dumb Cobra (AI) who melted me and my Type-9. Waste of my time, this game. Please explain to me how something so small can destroy my A rated ship in such a short time. Also he asked for cargo, like 1t so i gave him it, after which he asked for more, and then started shooting???!? How is this game so god damn broken still, I thought I spent my money on something worth while but apparently not. Sort your game out. Not buying any more of your products, soz.

Man, I am new to the game, but my T9 was my backbone for first billion and practically is the ship who always filled my wallet fast. So I got a bit of trust and experience in her - and tons of love ! I did have trips of 150 millions/hour with tritium a month or two ago, before nerf.
So, my advice - NEVER EVER accept fight in a T9 ! Is so frakling slow any lower tier fighter will dance circles around you and melt you in no time !
My build is all A rating, for a nice 732 tons, NO GUNS at all (!!) only a 3 A shield, 3 shield boosters and a turret in utility mounts, an A class FSD AND a Guardian FSD booster - I get 32 LY laden and 40 unladen like that !
Since you are heavy, is a joke to escape any interdiction, just evade them and never ever drop to fight.
I never bother with NPC.s, since I always easy escape interdiction.
I can't remember when an NPC ever manage to drop me, lol.
Invest in protection and fast boot fsd, is all you need.
And I am a noob yet on this game.

Last edited:
I run my T9 with some 730 cargo, and I can't remember when any NPC manage to interdict me, lol. I use only a rank 3 shield, more for protection when I dock, than against NPC.s, and I love the ship.

Top Bottom