General / Off-Topic Flat Earth

4e3.jpg

But it is flat and balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle, Great A'Tuin.

Kari%20Sperring%20Discworld.jpg
See!

I 'think' it is all part of an NSA/CIA experiment in social engineering, i mean they have to try to test if any ol monkey can be elected President right? ;)

We had a discussion about this on Teamspeak a few days back.
Of course no one believes it's flat - we settled that immediately.
However, one of the guys said something that intrigued me.
Now, I haven't really took the time to research thoroughly what he said, so I'm not claiming anything, just forwarding what he said.

He's a professional photographer, works closely with tools such as Photoshop, etc. daily, it's his only job.

He told me, and I quote - "Go on, find me a real photograph, taken with a photo camera, that wasn't tinkered with, where whole Earth is visible from a distance."

Of course I laughed at first, immediately showing him pictures of Earth from the Moon.
He said - "No, those were tinkered with and it's been proven. They're not real."
Then he pasted some links where some technical analysis was done on those pictures proving how Earth was "added" to the picture (essentially, a CGI) and was not naturally taken with a camera.
Then he went saying how all pictures of Earth "from the Moon", that are publicly available, are fake as well.

I tried finding some other pictures where you can see the whole Earth, but actually couldn't.
All the others are from the orbit or CGI.

What it means - he didn't say, only that it's weird.

Thoughts ?

Thoughts ?

That would be something that ejects from the rear end of a bull.

Real cameras?

On Apollo 8, Hasselblad EL electric cameras were used for the first time. The electric motor in these Hasselblads largely automated the picture taking process. The astronauts needed only to set the distance, lens aperture, and shutter speed, but once the release button was pressed, the camera exposed and wound the film and tensioned the shutter. Two Hasselblad EL cameras, each with a Planar f 2.8/80mm [normal] plus a single Sonnar f5.6/250mm [telephoto] lens and seven magazines of 70mm film, were carried. The cameras, film magazines, and lenses used on Apollo 8 had black anodized surfaces to eliminate reflections. Modifications to the cameras included special large locks for the film magazines and levers on the f-stop and distance settings on the lenses. These modifications facilitated the camera's use by the crew operating with pressurized suits and gloves. Additionally, the cameras had no reflex mirror viewfinder and instead a simple sighting ring assisted the astronaut in pointing the camera.

https://www.history.nasa.gov/apollo_photo.html

Professional photographer?

No.

Ignorant moron?

Yes.

Last edited:
He told me, and I quote - "Go on, find me a real photograph, taken with a photo camera, that wasn't tinkered with, where whole Earth is visible from a distance."
Historically, satellites have simply not been far enough away to get photos of the whole from the earth in a single shot.

If your so-called professional photographer doesn't know that, then he clearly doesn't know enough to be competent to express an opinion. Of course photos have been composites in the past. That's not the same as 'tinkering', even if there are some mistakes.

'Technical analysis' eh? Probably by some conspiracy theorist. Anyone can find stuff on the internet that 'seems legit'.

Anyway, all this has changed in recent years. The DSCOVR satellite launched in 2015 sits at one of the Lagrange points between the earth and the sun, approximately a million miles from earth and consequently far enough away to capture the whole sunlit face in one frame.

https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/content/dscovr-deep-space-climate-observatory

https://www.space.com/29992-gorgeous-earth-photo-dscovr-satellite.html

And the moon crossing the face of the earth, also captured by DSCOVR:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth

But I expect your denialist bloke will just claim all that is fake as well.

I showed him this.
His answer - "Blabber again. Show me the photo." :D

Did they fake the movie of the "earthrise" as the Apollo command module orbited the moon? - The movie not the photo.

Yer man talks a load of jobbie.

Last edited:
I showed him this.
His answer - "Blabber again. Show me the photo." :D

Can you show me a photo of him? Then I'll know what a pig-ignorant moron looks like.

He probably has never seen a large format (in that case 7x7cms negative) camera. It's old tech but I would only expect a real photographer to know about that.
Did they fake the movie of the "earthrise" as the Apollo command module orbited the moon? - The movie not the photo.

Yer man talks a load of jobbie.

The Apollo missions were all faked; obviously. They managed to keep that secret despite tens of thousands of people working on the project; obviously.

Someone should show that idiot "photographer" which end of a camera you point at the subject and which bit you look through to frame an image.

I'm sure "jobbie boy" has plenty of good pictures of their thumb over the lens (when it's not up their a............................................... or in their mouth).

Last edited:
Top Bottom