Fleet carrier decommissioning demystified; and the mistakes in the in-game Codex

The actual mechanics of decommissioning a fleet carrier are mysterious and opaque, so the Fleet Carrier Owners Club spent some time, effort and about 700 million credits putting it to the test. (We got 500 million back eventually.)
There are several conflicting sources of information about the fleet carrier decommissioning process, including the in-game Codex, the Fandom wiki, and these forums (mainly referring to changes during the fleet carrier beta period, eg here). Our test implies that there are several instances where the information in every source is wrong.
This experiment was conducted by CMDR JonSatriani (me) on behalf of the Fleet Carrier Owners Club, with support from CMDR GlowyHedgehog and CMDR Ed Lave. You can read a full write-up of the experiments here, or read the summary below.

The basics​

You can voluntarily begin the decommissioning process in any system, and can cancel it at any point during the Pending Decommission stage with no penalty.
When the Pending stage ends, any ship that you or other commanders are currently using, and are docked on the carrier, are moved to 10km out once the carrier is decommissioned. Other stored ships and modules remain on the decommissioned carrier and can be relocated for no fee.
You receive a financial rebate: 5 billion credits, less a 125 million credit decommissioning fee, less outstanding upkeep costs. It seems there is also some sort of extra penalty, possibly dependent on length of service, but this experiment could not investigate that. Other than ships and modules, you currently lose without rebate all other services and stock, including stored cargo, tritium in the tank, and the costs of any optional services and associated stock. These are refunded in full if removed during the Pending Decommission stage.
[CORRECTIONS: the decommission fee is 150 million credits, and no outstanding upkeep is paid. Cargo is refunded.]

Summary of inconsistencies/mistakes in Codex entry for fleet carrier decommissioning​

We compared our findings with the in-game Codex, which comprises the only post-beta official information available. At time of writing, all references in the Decommissioning section of the Fandom wiki point to beta period forum posts and content reveals.

Incorrect statement in Codex Actual behaviour
At the first step of decommission, before confirmation: “Owners will be shown […] the number of assets currently stored.”This rarely shows the correct number of ships and modules stored on the carrier.
“Upon decommissioning a fleet carrier, pilots will receive a remunerative sum contingent on the following: the purchase cost of all installed facilities aboard the carrier […]”The sum returned (~4.8 billion credits) was not apparently contingent on the costs of the test services and stock (Shipyard and Outfitting, with stock, total cost 502 million credits).

After some back-and-forth with Customer Support, the 502 million credits were refunded (thanks Luna), implying FDev acknowledge this is not expected behaviour.
“[…] the galactic average price of all non-stolen commodities stored on board […]”Apparently not contingent, although with our test of 3T biowaste this is difficult to verify.
“The Pending Decommission state will last for a minimum of seven days.”The Pending Decommission state in our test lasted for a little under five days.
“Fleet carriers in [pending decommission state] will still be able to sell existing services to a system’s Carrier Construction Dock […]”Also they can be sold in a Fleet Carrier Administration (FCA) system.
“[…] All other operations will be blocked.”In fact almost all core services still operate, including the ability to make jumps, donate fuel, set buy and sell orders and change the ship and carrier livery. The only core services apparently blocked are crew lounge and remote workshop.

In FCA systems it appears from button states that you can install new services. Clicking the button plays the installation sound effect but does not install the service.
“Pilots with ships or modules stored on the newly decommissioned carrier will be informed of the situation via inbox message.”They are not.

Other findings​

Pending Decommission​

• You can cancel from “Pending Decommission” status at any time with no apparent loss of credits or assets
  • Upon cancelling decommission, optional services remain suspended until you resume them manually
  • Commanders docked at the carrier receive no communication whatsoever during the decommissioning process

Decommissioned​

• Tritium in the tritium depot is lost without rebate (up to 1,000T; 50 million credits at galactic average at time of writing)
  • Commanders parked in the carrier at time of decommission respawn 10km from the decommissioned carrier
  • Any ships and modules stored on the decommissioned carrier can be transferred anywhere for 0 credits
  • You can apparently buy a new carrier immediately after decommissioning; it receives the same six-character code (in the case of the test carrier, H2T-LHV)
The decommissioned carrier will apparently cease to exist three months after decommission; we have left ships and modules on-board to determine their end location and will update this post accordingly. (updated; see Addenda)

Addenda​

Subsequent experiments, with the help of several Fleet Carrier Owners Club members, have revealed or confirmed additional information.
  • The voluntary decommissioning fee is in fact 150,000,000 credits, not 125,000,000 as stated
  • No accrued upkeep is paid upon voluntary decommission
  • The threshold for decommission timing appears to be around 19:00 Sunday. Decommission before this and your decommission timer will be <7 days; decommission after and it will be >7 days
  • In our test cases, decommissioned fleet carriers were removed from the game just over two months after entering the Decommissioned state. Stored ships and modules were immediately transferred (at no cost) to the nearest Carrier Vendor station.

About the Fleet Carrier Owners Club​

The Fleet Carrier Owners Club (FCOC) is a group of carrier owners and enthusiasts who run tours to interesting places in the galaxy, investigate carrier behaviour (like this experiment) and run occasional rescue operations for commanders out of the Fuel Rats’ jump range. We’re a welcoming, lo-salt community of more than 7,000 people on our Discord server.
On Discord and now Reddit (r/FCOC) we promote carrier trips – almost always free of charge – to places like Colonia, Sag A, Beagle Point, Witch Head, Coalsack, Guardian and crystal shard sites, and recently the infamous Rackham’s Peak at the top of the galaxy. Nearly 500 carrier owners have their own Discord channel on our server, where they organise trips, bulk trading opportunities, blog about their carrier adventures, and much more.

Last edited:
Not being able to see who is on board / what modules is an issue which should be prioritized imo. That and alerting people that the carrier they are on is undergoing a decom seems to be linked and needs fixed before Odyssey. Really nice job with the research (y)

Luna is a girl? I always thought they were not girl. Yeah that person is a shining beacon of light in frontier developments. Maintains much of the goodwill around elite every time they get assigned to a ticket.

Great op post for the carrier research. Quality work there.

Interesting. One question, during the Beta test I tested decommissioning a carrier and found that making a jump during carrier decommission reset the decommission counter. That is when I first set it for decommission it told me 8 days to decommission, after a few days I jumped and the timer reset to 8 days, does this still happen?

Interesting. One question, during the Beta test I tested decommissioning a carrier and found that making a jump during carrier decommission reset the decommission counter. That is when I first set it for decommission it told me 8 days to decommission, after a few days I jumped and the timer reset to 8 days, does this still happen?
I did one jump during Pending; I didn't see whether it reset the counter but I am almost 100% sure it did not. I started and cancelled the process a couple of times before the main test (to see whether it could be done in systems without FCA) and the target decommission time was always 07:00 on Thursday.

I did one jump during Pending; I didn't see whether it reset the counter but I am almost 100% sure it did not. I started and cancelled the process a couple of times before the main test (to see whether it could be done in systems without FCA) and the target decommission time was always 07:00 on Thursday.

Ok, that may have been a bug in the Beta, I did post on the feedback forum at the time. This does mean you could decommission while making your way back to the bubble to save time sitting there for a week waiting for it to decommission.

Following decommissioning (even if a FC is purchased immediately afterward) any bookmarks to the carrier remain pointing to the 'old' one - so updating to the 'new' one would be needed.
I wonder what happens when the carrier is taken out of the game entirely (supposedly three months after decommission).

Darn, I could have transferred all my stuff for free rather than pay.
Guess this will be the priority fix (nerf) for FD ;)
Nice work btw; and thanks for posting.
I hadn't thought of it like that. Decommission your carrier in Colonia, wait a week, catch a different carrier home and transfer your fleet of A-rated Cutters home for a grand total of ~125M. Then just buy a new carrier to keep them on.

Great bit of science by JonSatriani. We have other known unknowns that he and others will be working on and we'll be publishing our findings on those in due course. If anyone is interested in getting involved in testing anything carrier-related, then see the pinned posts in our #testing-testing channel.

I hadn't thought of it like that. Decommission your carrier in Colonia, wait a week, catch a different carrier home and transfer your fleet of A-rated Cutters home for a grand total of ~125M. Then just buy a new carrier to keep them on.
Yep. or just suicide-winder back instantly.
Got to love emergent gameplay. :)
(I can hear the gnashing of teeth and sharpening of pitch forks already,)

Last edited:
Yep. or just suicide-winder back instantly.
Got to love emergent gameplay. :)
(I can hear the gnashing of teeth and sharpening of pitch forks already,)
Actually, owners have facilitated that on some trips to Sag A etc by carrying a small supply of Sidewinders for those that want them, if that is their
gameplay style or if they are time-limited. Whatever works basically.

A good investigation, and not the only information to be incorrect in the codex. Some locations for ‘P’ anomalies and gourd molluscs are no where to be found once in the pinned systems.

Fleet carrier attributes were tweaked substantially during beta, including the refunding system. But I have a feeling that the codex was never fully updated regarding any of that? And shortly after going live any codex work was most likely halted in favour of odyssey. Who knows!?
Hopefully Fdev will correct the information this year, and even develop the codex further (bread crumbs!)?

Flimley

Top Bottom