Fleet Carriers aren't for everyone. And I think that's OK

Absorbed into a release of other improvements paid or otherwise I would have zero problem. However, delivered as it is as a single piece of content as the only major piece of content in a long, long while, for it to be only available to a small percentage of the players I think is problematic. Okay its free, so maybe that mitigates it a little. A better solution would have been to have had a lower starting price point, say 500M or even 1B, with limited functionality that you add to, with the upkeep costs scaling as you progress. eg you start with 1 pad not 16. Still an end game goal but now it feels attainable by everyone not just a small proportion, albeit the full experience costs many billions more than that. I went on a break because of an eye injury which is now okay thankfully, but even though I am in lock down I have felt zero desire to play. That's a first for me since 2014, I have always looked forward to my game time, limited though it is. The only change is this announcement and that tells me the impact its had on my psyche.

And thusly it should have remained a Squad mechanism. Anyone who wanted the ACTUAL FC functionality rather than the randomly imagined/demanded functionality would have been fine, it would all been perfectly reasonable. But no, they have pandered to the uninformed, the entitled, the unimaginative and the downright selfish and now nobody will be happy with the compromise.

Costs a lot. Outrage
Maintenance. Outrage
Can't pilot it. Outrage.
Takes effort to move. Outrage
No shipyard. Outrage
Can't ram it into a slot. Outrage
Can't be destroyed. Outrage
Can't destroy my enemy. Outrage
Can't be engineered. Outrage
Can't wake me in the morning with a croissant. Outrage
Doesn't do everything I imagined in the last 2 years. Outrage
Is the no shipyard correct? If this is true then I am more than happy to leave FC's well alone and move on.
On a side note I see a lot of posts regarding FC's being a required endgame mechanic but as a early Kickstarter (4000+hrs) who now sits on 17 billion and has more or less done everything possible in this game including a lot of rare and interesting system discoveries I never once felt i needed a endgame while playing Elite.
My only goal was to achieve total freedom from all forms of grinding what so ever and put it behind me and then just relax and enjoy Elite in VR which is what i do. If the so called FC's are nothing more than a endless pointless grind mechanic then I will not be investing some of my credits on them but at the same time I will still love Elite.

Fly safe CMDR Q!!!!

Last edited:
You mean the kind that impound your ship if you can't pay the upkeep?
Exactly! Make it reasonable with modest payments due once per month and the ability to fall behind a couple of months before the repo man comes, and make it still require a stiff down-payment (say 500 million credits) so players have to actually do something to earn one of these. Also, like any mortgage, allow players to pay it off quicker if they can.

Having a debt that must be paid also gives the credit-earning ability of a FC purpose. You're now using your FC to pay off your FC! Doesn't that truck simulator do something similar?

I even would go so far as to say that the whole game is not suitable for everyone. It should be obvious why such an impression is not very welcome at FDev, nor would you ever see anything like that on their advertising. :geek: = 💸
And the mainstream shouldn't believe that anyway.

As you are old enough to know, there has never been a game created in human history that's suitable for everyone. Apart from possibly Tetris 😁

But when I think about it, despite the whole efforts at persuasion we still haven't managed to convince the mainstream that the ownership of an Anaconda is NOT mandatory to enjoy the game. And what we have here is a much bigger issue...

This is true. I do of course own an Anaconda, in fact I own two and have spent a lot of time in one of them since it's my main long-range exploration ship. It's not in any way central to my gameplay though despite that; I could have used my Asp or Orca for all the light years I've done in the Anaconda and I think there are maybe three systems I couldn't have reached in them in over four years of playing.

Exactly! Make it reasonable with modest payments due once per month and the ability to fall behind a couple of months before the repo man comes, and make it still require a stiff down-payment (say 500 million credits) so players have to actually do something to earn one of these. Also, like any mortgage, allow players to pay it off quicker if they can.

Having a debt that must be paid also gives the credit-earning ability of a FC purpose. You're now using your FC to pay off your FC! Doesn't that truck simulator do something similar?
I would have loved to see that. And we're 30% there already, the impounding should have been implemented :D

Which is why the carrier should have remained a squadron asset. Allowing all squadron members to contribute to up keep
There were several suggestion threads back in the day to add this feature to Powerplay. Frontier Developers took the idea and ruined it. This went from being a valuable tool for powerplay to richy richy commander's new mobile mansion. I keep seeing folks complain that the rich commanders didn't know what to spend their money on, but that could have been easily resolved with planetary bases and fixing power play.

I really loved this game to the point I bought my Warthog HOTAS for it, but over the years it feels like Frontier threw the guy with the good ideas out the window (like Valve did with TF2 after the hats update).

But I am coming from the point that I could easily make the credits for a FC if I really wanted too. Credits are irrelevant. What I am asking is why you think a FC is not meant for me. Is it purely you mean they are not meant for me because I do not have the credits at this time? That is a strange thing to say if so. Did you mean to say people should not expect to buy a FC without some commitment to earning the credits in game?

I think you are taking this far too personally, more so than anyone else here judging by the feedback your posts have received.

I meant what I said. In the same way that Imperial Hammers aren't for everyone. And I think that's OK. They - in the right hands - are very good weapons, but like every other reward in every other video game I've played in the 40+ years I've been on this Earth - they have to be earned. Doesn't mean they are meant for everyone, not everyone enjoys using railguns, let alone Hammers, not everyone is willing to jump through Powerplay hoops to obtain them.

They're content. Optional content. No one has a right to own Imp. Hammers. Not everyone is willing to get merits, and wait 3 weeks to get them.

They're not meant for everyone. And you what? I think that's OK.

I think you are taking this far too personally, more so than anyone else here judging by the feedback your posts have received.

I meant what I said. In the same way that Imperial Hammers aren't for everyone. And I think that's OK. They - in the right hands - are very good weapons, but like every other reward in every other video game I've played in the 40+ years I've been on this Earth - they have to be earned. Doesn't mean they are meant for everyone, not everyone enjoys using railguns, let alone Hammers, not everyone is willing to jump through Powerplay hoops to obtain them.

They're content. Optional content. No one has a right to own Imp. Hammers. Not everyone is willing to get merits, and wait 3 weeks to get them.

They're not meant for everyone. And you what? I think that's OK.
I think you're kiiiinda conflating two points: point 1 is that you're not entitled to everything, which has been said and will be said many times on the forum. You won't get everything, and that's OK.
Point 2, though, is that they're not for everyone in the other sense - not everyone will particularly want an FC because they don't like the cost, the gameplay associated with it, the feeling of 'not being a small-scale pilot'. FDev isn't obligated to make every decision appeal to every player. And that's also OK.

(Obviously, they should try to appeal to as many of their users as possible, but not with every single addition and change.)

Maybe meet with some other players who are outraged and as a group we can all talk about our feeling, cry a little, hug a little, drink some coffee and eventually walk away feeling empowered and ready to take on tomorrow with a fresh outlook? :unsure:

I will bring Doughnuts.

I think I might be good. Just got done helping a buddy rob someone!

I'm not impressed so far by what's been presented regarding the FCs, on the other hand all I know right now is it's pricetag and that there will be (yuck) weekly upkeep costs.
I can't say whether their worth their 5 billion or not, it depends on what you can do with them.
Knowing Fdev though the FCs will go hand in hand with a lot of grinding and/or repetitiveness since that's their way of coming up with hours and hours of available gameplay.

The livestream will hopefully give us a clue of what you can actually do with FCs and what investment time/money you'll have to put into them.

Imho releasing a new feature to the game that's only viable for a small portion of the players after such a long period of nothingness isn't realy encouraging.
I've got around 3.5 billion in cash, these FCs aren't enough, untill I know more about them, for me to start playing a game I'm done with in order to get me the other 1.5 billion that I need.

Let's just wait for the livestream, then we can start flipping tables.

Last edited:
Agree. It isn't for everybody. I was just hoping it would be for me, but it isn't. Too steep price (for me), but I think it's priced right though, as a game thingy. And since I think it's too much for me, I think it maybe should be priced higher. Maybe 10-15 billion.

It's the upkeep that's the big issue, I think, making it something you have to constantly care for and log in and maintain. It's fine, but not my thing.

In other words, nothing to see here. Nothing new to the game for another 9+ months. New Era at the end of the year? Depends on what it is, and when it is. Maybe something to try out during next wave of the quarantines in winter.

Exactly. This is what I meant. Some people will be willing to do the upkeep, some won't. No harm either way. Me? I'll give it a go, I've enjoyed playing management games like Cites Skylines, so hopefully I won't let my Carrier implode and take half the local star system with it. The paperwork for that incident would be a nightmare. 😄

I don't begrudge people having the money to buy fleet carriers, i begrudge fdev spending 2 years of development time on something that only 3% of the player base can access. I don't buy the "they're meant to be endgame content" argument because supposedly the game is still in development and we're due a major game changing update at the end of this year, so why would you put in end game content if your game is still in open development and there's going to be a new era right around the corner?

The only new substantial content drop in a year is for 3% of the players. That's kind of weird.

As I said, this wasn't the original plan. That was to release Carriers along with the rest of the content within Beyond Chapter 4 (or 3.3 or whatever) back in December 2018. We all know that plan didn't survive first contact with reality.

So, what could have Frontier done, knowing that Carrier content would have restricted access to players? Made them cheaper? Perhaps, but for now, like it or not, Frontier have moved the goalposts and Carriers are now the biggest player-controlled vessels in the game - and potentially, so much more if the player is interested. 2B CR sounds cheap for the option framework such a vessel can provide.

Perhaps they would could created smaller, cheaper Carriers (which would mean more delays due to the extra time creating the additional artwork/assets for Carrier Small and Carrier Medium). But then, what would be the point of Carrier Large? Some people are assuming that Carrier Large can only contain 16 ships, and - maybe - the smaller Carriers would contain less. But then, since when have number of pads = ship storage capacity? That's never been the case with stations. Each player in an open instance can have around 40 ships stored at a station at one time.

There would need to be a reason to justify why people would pick a large Carrier. If pads <> storage, what would that reason be?

The other option? Delay the Carriers until The New Era and deny us vets meaningful content for another 8 months, so that players who don't have 5B CR have access to other meaningful content on release.

Given those choices I'm glad they finally seem close to releasing the things. Given previous delays and what's happening in the real world right now (plus the impact its having on Frontier and everyone else), that's a pleasant surprise.

I agree with this 100% & I'm very unlikely to ever own a FC...or Corvette, for that matter! Mind you, I'm of the opinion that Frontier should have built meaningful longevity & progression into our 'bread & butter' ships (& E-A upgrades too) so that most casual players never manage to get beyond a Cobra III - which btw, is a perfectly adequate ship to play the game in almost any playstyle one wishes; further, most other players would never get out of the A-rated medium ships either, which would patently irk many here! In my ED universe, one does not get to own all ships by simply dipping one's toes into the game & I'd make a mandatory limit of three ships....deal with it! I really like the idea of a game world that makes one truly earn advancement - you're soooo lucky I'm not running this show! 😁

Frontier should have done a lot more with the smaller ships. I have a Cobra MkIII and haven't flown her in months. The game gives me no reason too. Shame really.

Agree. It isn't for everybody. I was just hoping it would be for me, but it isn't. Too steep price (for me), but I think it's priced right though, as a game thingy. And since I think it's too much for me, I think it maybe should be priced higher. Maybe 10-15 billion.

It's the upkeep that's the big issue, I think, making it something you have to constantly care for and log in and maintain. It's fine, but not my thing.

In other words, nothing to see here. Nothing new to the game for another 9+ months. New Era at the end of the year? Depends on what it is, and when it is. Maybe something to try out during next wave of the quarantines in winter.

I actually like the idea of upkeep. I have no problem with the idea of having to manage and maintain a Carrier and paying a crew (which you had to do in previous Elite games for certain ships). I think the real concern players have is Decommissioned Carriers and what the heck happens to them (and the ships within them) when the fuel runs out and the crew mutiny due to another week of non-payment.

Fromtier implied that you'd have to run into some serious debt before Carriers would be removed from you. I'm speculating that the debt would be run up by lack of crew payment, only after your credit balance hits 0. If the crew (lets say six NPCs) is being paid 100,000CR per week each and the Decommissioned debt limit is something large (1B CR?), it may not be an issue for most players. In that case it would take over 31 years of not playing the game before the taxman takes your Carrier off you.

Like I said, just speculation, among so many questions right now. Let's see what Thursday brings.

Top Bottom