Patch Notes Fleet Carriers Update - Patch 4 Patch Notes

As far as I know, only LTD and tritium were in the dynamic demand, and this was not written about in the previous change.

So why will they write about the fact that tritium will be excluded from the list ?

Something else that might work - since tritium is found, in abundance, in stars how about having the FCs refuel themselves, slowly, while they sit in a system (let's assume the carrier has limpets to pull tritium out of the system's star at the rate of ~100t/hr or so)

God this has been mentioned a billion times during the betas and it would have been so much better. Sadly it fell on deaf ears.

That's how it usually works, isn't it?
It takes usually from several times per week to up to 2 weeks for a system with good stock and and large pads to reach the right bgs conditions
Everyone converges there and the stock it is emptied in 1-2 hours with no chance for the pathetic 14t per 10 minutes to replenish the stock.
And the conditions usually vanish in 1 max 2 days and traders need to wait for another system to "ripe"

I sort of agree that the perma full replenish that we had before last patch was not quite ok, but now we are in other extreme where tritium trading is reduced to almost zero
Even without the specific BGS conditions, Tritium trades between 40k/t and 52k/t in fairly high quantities. 12k/tonne is still 50% better than any bulk-tradable good from the previous patch - CMM Composite and Insulating Membrane are the only pre-3.7 ones comparable and those both have even less supply than Tritium does.

Meanwhile Agronomic Treatment can trade for 33k/t - not much worse than Tritium - but because the high price is on the sale rather than the purchase end, isn't really supply constrained (it also regenerates about 10x faster than Tritium)

Sure, you can't reliably get 48k/t from Tritium trading and there's a massive gold-rush swarm of locusts if people try. But that's okay, I think.

If i were in FD's shoes, i would had either put at least a system with a strong un-depletable tritium supply or i would not put any carrier vendors or administrative systems in the entire Colonia.
So people would know that taking a carrier in Colonia is a risky business.
In theory if Tritium mining was working properly it might be fine.

- local use of carriers in Colonia requires minimal Tritium because it's such a small region. Taking the Tritium commodity rewards from missions can get you 30t a time, which is probably enough for at least another few local jumps, and you can find those mission rewards easily at any orbital refinery. You don't need to buy it from a station, and having to get your fuel from off-books stockpiles by doing favours for someone is an interesting option.
- if you're using it as a base for exploration, well, you're going to be mining to fuel that carrier at some point, so why not start now. Your choice as to whether buying in Colonia (and so being closer to the rest of the galaxy) or buying in the bubble (and so being able to fill the hold with Tritium before departure) is what you want. A Pristine double Tritium hotspot, which we have plenty of, is after all "a strong un-depletable tritium supply", sort of...

Unless of course you take the view that Tritium mining - even when it was working reasonably quickly in patch 2 - is unreasonable to expect of explorers at all, in which case see my "abolish Tritium" suggestion as a much more straightforward solution.

Something else that might work - since tritium is found, in abundance, in stars how about having the FCs refuel themselves, slowly, while they sit in a system (let's assume the carrier has limpets to pull tritium out of the system's star at the rate of ~100t/hr or so)
They could, but that basically works out as "your Tritium tank refills fully overnight" - so anyone playing less than ~3 hours of carrier jumping a day doesn't have to worry about Tritium at all.

This is what I mean - all the various suggestions for "make Tritium easier" basically end up making it entirely irrelevant in most cases, so why not just scrap it, pay credits for fuel, and assume that the credits go to some combination of paying your crew to mine it or NPC tankers to ship it.

Sure, you can't reliably get 48k/t from Tritium trading and there's a massive gold-rush swarm of locusts if people try. But that's okay, I think.

Well, with the current replenish rates, not only you cannot get reliably 48k/t from Tritium trading, but when it eventually happens it lasts for 1-2 hours tops.

I remember when we repaired the burning WHN stations.
While the WHN was low pop, some of the stations were replenishing resources at a decent rate - way bigger than the 14t per 10 minutes in a 2.8 bn population system that badly miffed me off yesterday.

View attachment 182147

Greetings, Commanders!

We're pleased to confirm that the patch described in our Known Issues post from earlier this week is expected this Wednesday 29 July at 11:00 UTC with an estimated 15 minutes of downtime. Please find the Patch Notes and Known Issues below:

Patch Notes

Mining
  • Fixed an issue whereby surface deposits created after cracking a motherlode would flag themselves as depleted
  • Fixed issues related to diminishing returns for commodities in overlapping hotspots

Crashes and Stability
  • Fixed an issue where loading into an instance in a system with a large amount of Fleet Carriers would cause very long load times (potentially long enough to cause a disconnect)

Fleet Carriers
  • Fixed an issue which stopped Fighters being restocked from a Fleet Carrier
  • Fixed a number of issues related to Fleet Carrier positioning:
    • Better enforcement of the 16 carrier limit per body
    • Preventing departing Fleet Carriers from taking up one of the 16 slots from the body they've just left
    • Further work to ensure Carriers are positioned away from other nearby body sites, such as other Fleet Carriers

Known Issues

Fleet Carriers
  • When opening the Fleet Carrier naming pop up in the Livery, an additional unwanted character will be added to the start and end of the name. These characters will need to be manually deleted to prevent them being included.

Please note that the above notes are liable to change as adjustments are made and changes are added or removed. Tweaks may be made up until the time of launch.

Thanks as always for your continued feedback!

o7
Elite:Miners Confirmed, 4 patches focused ONLY on miners can't make me wrong. And i suppose next patch to fix various activities (megaship hacking, research limpets, bgs, ...) will happen On Odyssey or some patches after?
Fdev, are you aware that ALL your players don't love mining? Some of us are working and our in-game activities is broken since MONTHS.
Is it really too much to work on bugs that directly impact the game and no information about them has been given?
If you could just say: megaship hacking, research limpets, bgs, ...), it will be HONNEST! At least we won't lose our time in miner game and see what happen in 6 more months to see what will be broken in Odyssey release.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the WHN was low pop, some of the stations were replenishing resources at a decent rate - way bigger than the 14t per 10 minutes in a 2.8 bn population system that badly miffed me off yesterday.
Sure, but there was still no Beryllium.

I think this is the problem with both the current supply/demand system and the occasional player suggestions for a more integrated and complex (X-style?) economy.

Most of the time (>99% of goods) supplies and demands are high enough that they're utterly irrelevant even in a tiny population system. When that's not the case, people complain that they can't get what they want.

Actual interesting scenarios - WHN repairs, a couple of Colonia trade CGs - are even rarer. Tritium had the potential to be interesting in theory - player economy, mining and other substitute sources, actual direct player usefulness - but in practice does not appear to be working out like that.

Are You trying to tell Us that removing the "unwanted characters" from Your inputField is so hard it couldn't have been fixed on Your end? 🤔
I was sooo hoping that they would fix that... So much more important than tritium, combat, gameplay, flee carriers, screwed economy, ridiculous mission rewards, boring mining etc etc... Looking forward for next patch to fix 2 or 3 planets names and some more liveries for Hauler and Adder...

- if you're using it as a base for exploration, well, you're going to be mining to fuel that carrier at some point, so why not start now. Your choice as to whether buying in Colonia (and so being closer to the rest of the galaxy) or buying in the bubble (and so being able to fill the hold with Tritium before departure) is what you want.

If tritium could be bought in both the Bubble and Colonia, most of the galaxy would be within range, even allowing fuel for the return journey. There was a diagram someone posted, which showed about 80% coverage IIRC. So it should be (and was, until recently) possible to go exploring into deep space without having to mine at all, even from Colonia (from the Bubble, it still is).

And that's not even using tritium tankers, another previously-viable way of extending range that is now effectively dead (from Colonia).

Tritium is still viable, Frontier just need to treat it as an essential fuel supply rather than an optional trading commodity.

Meanwhile Agronomic Treatment can trade for 33k/t - not much worse than Tritium - but because the high price is on the sale rather than the purchase end, isn't really supply constrained (it also regenerates about 10x faster than Tritium)

That is... astonishing.

Who at Frontier decided that our fuel supply should regenerate at one-tenth the rate of Agronomic Treatment?

If tritium could be bought in both the Bubble and Colonia, most of the galaxy would be within range, even allowing fuel for the return journey. There was a diagram someone posted, which showed about 80% coverage IIRC. So it should be (and was, until recently) possible to go exploring into deep space without having to mine at all, even from Colonia (from the Bubble, it still is).
If your plan is a direct there-and-back trip to some pre-decided destination, yes. Not sure how common an exploration style that is, except for passenger missions which are easier done without the carrier at all.

But okay, let's say that's how it "should" work.

You buy 1 BCr worth of Tritium in bubble/Colonia, stick it on your lightweight carrier, hop out to where you're going and come back without needing to mine at all. ~70kLY total range, so approximately 7 million credits fuel cost per jump.

What's directly gained here over just making carriers cost 7 million credits per jump (or even 10 or 20 million, depending on mass?) to move?

The only gameplay point of having Tritium as a separate purchasable fuel is to make carriers easy to move around inhabited space, but slow to move around deep space (similar to the old Military Drives from FE2/FFE). If the carrier's fuel efficiency and hold space is large enough to bypass that - which I agree it mostly is, if Colonia is given infinite Tritium supplies - what does Tritium actually add?

Who at Frontier decided that our fuel supply should regenerate at one-tenth the rate of Agronomic Treatment?
Regeneration rates for supply are generally roughly proportional to the galactic average price of the good.

Tritium GA: 42k
Agronomic GA: 3.1k

For the bubble as a whole, the regeneration rate is over 6 million tonnes a day - enough that even a Trade CG requiring only Tritium would find it tough to dent it more than locally - so it's not as if there's a shortage there even with the current rate. (Likewise, upping the regeneration rate so that it matched Hydrogen Fuel would be insufficient to maintain a supply in Colonia - it would just have run out slightly slower)

But as above, if Tritium should regenerate quickly enough that it might as well have infinite supply, why not just use Credits as fuel instead?

But as above, if Tritium should regenerate quickly enough that it might as well have infinite supply, why not just use Credits as fuel instead?
I do wonder where all that supply is going - from looking at how often carriers are jumping (not that much) I tend to think it's Tritium market speculators - in which anything less than infinite won't be enough.

Top Bottom