News Forum revamp coming soon!

Looking forward to all the posts from people who don't like it and are definitely going to quit, and will have threads running for months about how it's made the forum unusable, and they're definitely definitely going to quit, just right after the next post.

Have you never heard of mass graves?

Playstyles is a very confusing title indeed. Should be hospice for clarity.

I thought it would be easy, you have multiple forums for screenshots and talking about the DSS and one dustbin tacked on the end for PP, CQC, PvP and the BGS.

Can we (pretty please) have polls back!?

LV39LGJ.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, put me in the cynical "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" camp. You're not exactly filling me with confidence when a) there's two different threads on this in two sections with differing first posts, and b) you can't even get "there'll" right (you put "there's be" in both posts).

I'm all for simplifying and making things easier, but I cannot abide change for change's sake when there's no need. Yes, I'm sure you'll seek assuage my concerns and that all this is necessary, but is it really? Obviously it's your forum and you'll do what you will, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. I guess time will tell.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Yeah, put me in the cynical "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" camp. You're not exactly filling me with confidence when a) there's two different threads on this in two sections with differing first posts, and b) you can't even get "there'll" right (you put "there's be" in both posts).

I'm all for simplifying and making things easier, but I cannot abide change for change's sake when there's no need. Yes, I'm sure you'll seek assuage my concerns and that all this is necessary, but is it really? Obviously it's your forum and you'll do what you will, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. I guess time will tell.

The backend improvements alone will be worth it. Poor Brett and the team need to get away from vBulletin before it drives everyone nuts.

The backend improvements alone will be worth it. Poor Brett and the team need to get away from vBulletin before it drives everyone nuts.

That is a fair enough comment as most of us are not privy to the backend technicalities. I still say that one of the worst phrases is "Hey, we're improving things".

Really, as if this place could not get any worse? Can you imagine what this place would be like with unending poll after poll about DSS, griefing etc?

Nah, gotta remember there are only about 3 people complaining about most things. Though those 3 will then go on to dispute the stats, if past history is anything to go by.

Nah, gotta remember there are only about 3 people complaining about most things. Though those 3 will then go on to dispute the stats, if past history is anything to go by.

After a week of polls it would go fractal and then you'll be sorry.

A month later it will reach critical mass and it will all collapse into one super dense forum member.

The last years of ED will be this solitary forum member slowly evaporating via Hawking Radiation.

Maybe thats the plan? Heat death the forums while we discuss proton decay.

These are the stakes with polls.

Actually, removal of inactive forum threads does give me serious pause for thought.

There's a lot of very useful, but long since locked for inactivity, threads that I refer to from my Best of Forum thread.

Am I gonna be seeing a lot of broken links?

I may have to crawl my Best of Forum thread and look into archiving it for future generations.

^^^
This. I have several bookmark sub-folders that have links to locked threads and archived forums that contain useful information about poorly documented features. I'd hate to think all that useful information is going to be lost to the ages.

There's a lot of very useful, but long since locked for inactivity, threads that I refer to from my Best of Forum thread. Am I gonna be seeing a lot of broken links?

I have several bookmark sub-folders that have links to locked threads and archived forums that contain useful information about poorly documented features. I'd hate to think all that useful information is going to be lost to the ages.
Yeah, I've got a reasonably large number of bookmarked links and extracts too. Part of the problem if they're permanently lost will be the optics; for good or ill many of the things I have bookmarked are those elements from the DDA and elsewhere in which FD propose or discuss game elements that have never (at time of writing) seen the light of day. They're particularly useful when new players post ideas about potential improvements to the game, and a quick link serves to demonstrate that FD had the same idea years ago but never ran with it. If those archives are lost forever it may appear to be a deliberate Memory Holing of contentious ideas. Even if third-party sites archive the material, not having them available from official FD sources weakens the impact and risks accusations of falsification.

I know Support want to drop vBulletin like a hot potato but it would be great if FD would consider a locked-down, read-only archive of that material that isn't being moved over to the new system. Even without it's usefulness as an "ammunition dump" the history of ED's concept and development is almost unique in the industry and a lot of that lives in the forum archives. Even now there are new players joining the community who have no idea as to the unique origins of ED until it's presented to them. It would be a shame to lose that.

Top Bottom