News Forum revamp coming soon!

Yeah, I've got a reasonably large number of bookmarked links and extracts too. Part of the problem if they're permanently lost will be the optics; for good or ill many of the things I have bookmarked are those elements from the DDA and elsewhere in which FD propose or discuss game elements that have never (at time of writing) seen the light of day. They're particularly useful when new players post ideas about potential improvements to the game, and a quick link serves to demonstrate that FD had the same idea years ago but never ran with it. If those archives are lost forever it may appear to be a deliberate Memory Holing of contentious ideas. Even if third-party sites archive the material, not having them available from official FD sources weakens the impact and risks accusations of falsification.

I know Support want to drop vBulletin like a hot potato but it would be great if FD would consider a locked-down, read-only archive of that material that isn't being moved over to the new system. Even without it's usefulness as an "ammunition dump" the history of ED's concept and development is almost unique in the industry and a lot of that lives in the forum archives. Even now there are new players joining the community who have no idea as to the unique origins of ED until it's presented to them. It would be a shame to lose that.

*cough* wayback machine

halls_ss.png

Better than nothing, except:

• Third party site.

• Not particularly convenient. Internal search obviously won't work, so any posts or discussions you remember will have to be tracked down manually. Which brings us to...

• Incomplete, limited mostly to out-of-date forum indices. Try finding this post and thread on archive.org (and no cheating by adding it from the live page; that option won't be available if FD pull the plug). In fact try finding anything in the DDA beyond the one snapshot of the front page circa June 2016.
There appears to be no way for an end-user to initiate archival of an entire site, and I'm not sure it would work with vBulletin-generated pages anyway. They do offer a live archival service but it's subscription-based, and FD as content owners would have to request it.

Maybe if everyone installed a suitable browser extension and began requesting archival of individual forum pages we might get somewhere. But even if vBulletin's PHP doesn't bork it, it's unlikely we'd have it all done by the time the new forum kicks in at the end of March. I don't know about anyone else, but one end-of-March deadline is more than enough for me to be worrying about at the moment.

It would be so much easier if FD could just leave a functioning but static version of the old forums online somewhere. But I understand why that's probably not going to happen. Let's just hope most of the good stuff, especially the development archives and Alec's deep links and similar, are transferred over.

Well when you make players such as Alec Turner quit... you really have reached the nadir!
To be honest there was a certain amount of tongue-in-cheekness about my "quit" post. While it's true that I genuinely don't like change, sometimes it can actually turn out to be for the better so I guess I'll reserve judgement until we've had the new forum long enough to get used to it. It will be nice to get notified when someone replies to one of our comments so that's one plus for the new system at least.

With XenForo2, each game section will be locked to its game-related forum theme. Don't have the capability to permit user-based overrides like what we can do with vBulletin.

Christ I missed that - that's me browsing the forums at work over with then, I depend on the white theme to disguise it!

*shakes fist*

With XenForo2, each game section will be locked to its game-related forum theme. Don't have the capability to permit user-based overrides like what we can do with vBulletin.

Xenforo2 does allow users to change the style.

Whatever you do though please dont make it black. Black with white text is crazy. Makes me feel sick (im not joking), when i look away all i see are lines for a short while. Thankfuly i found the little drop down to change to a white style. Black styling is hard to pull off. Go with like a dark grey background and an off-white text of around 17px. Its a lot kinder on the eyes.

Whatever you do though please dont make it black. Black with white text is crazy. Makes me feel sick (im not joking), when i look away all i see are lines for a short while. Thankfuly i found the little drop down to change to a white style. Black styling is hard to pull off. Go with like a dark grey background and an off-white text of around 17px. Its a lot kinder on the eyes.

Came here to say the same - I can't spend one moment reading white text on black, it murders my eyes. So bad that my work firewall prevents changing the theme on the website, so that means I don't read it at work. If the forum has no choice of changing black background to a light color, I can't participate on said forum.

Last edited:
Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme

Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme Dark theme

For this game, i find it more appropriate to rename XenForo to XenoFor.

And of course the change happens just before i hit Elite status... My poor eEgo... Totally destroyed...

Looking forward to the more comfy features and navigation though ;)

New software that is easier to maintain, sounds great.

I am am bit concerned about the "removal" of older or inactive parts as well, not just because of potentially useless bookmarks.

Deleted member 110222

D
Yeah, but ESO has really strict moderation, and no off-topic sections. That seems to be the case with a large number of game developer forums but not FD for some reason.

True.

Honestly I think ED could benefit from that.

Top Bottom