Frontier Expo ED Speculation

I expect changes for all professions (mining, explorations etc) and lot of QoL improvements. I certainly dont expect atmospheric landings or space legs.

It's been 2 years since we got planetary landings. Surely that team have been working on *something* since then?

Sure, they've been working on Planet Coaster! And now they are working on Jurassic Park! After JP is released we can probably hope to get the beigefication in Elite addressed, unless some other new game takes priority first.

Seriously though I agree, I hope they have been working on some amazing new stuff for the galaxy. Enough with the Thargoid bases and crash sites and abandoned outposts, it's time to give the Milky Way itself some serious loving.

I just don't expect to see or hear about any of that at the Expo, not with 2.4 still in process.

Sure, they've been working on Planet Coaster! And now they are working on Jurassic Park! After JP is released we can probably hope to get the beigefication in Elite addressed, unless some other new game takes priority first.

Seriously though I agree, I hope they have been working on some amazing new stuff for the galaxy. Enough with the Thargoid bases and crash sites and abandoned outposts, it's time to give the Milky Way itself some serious loving.

I just don't expect to see or hear about any of that at the Expo, not with 2.4 still in process.

I don't think that having 2.4 in progress will stop them from showing stuff. It says on the expo site for ED "special content reveal". It will not be 2.4 as they want to keep whats left hidden, so it has to be the core game updates and possibly the next expansion (whatever that may be).

New management. The current management have proven beyond doubt, that they are incapable of releasing a consumer ready product. At no stage do I blame the developers. Sure there have been bugs etc, but the most outstanding thing for me is that release after release, we see disjointed additions, and new fixes, which invariably give us more bugs.

2.3 was a disaster network wise. It took 2 months to get back to a stable working system. Additionally, MultiCrew has been a failure, not sue to players, but players being unable to leverage the promised functionality. It is also disjointed. Has no Explorer bonus and nothing for miners. Engineers was a fiasco, not least by the knowledge that FD knew about the cheat modules, their ability to create them, and did nothing to stop it, until, it became common knowledge.

2.4 one would expect to be a glowing success as lessons would have been learnt. It was and is continuing to be a disaster in relation to the overall mission system. In relation to the Thargoids, we are led to believe, that A. they just suddenly showed up, B. They adapt to weapons, but we decrease the weapon effects and C. They are at war with us. Really? All alone in a USS? What clever designer decided that reducing a weapons effects would be better to achieve more damage?

Bottom line is we need a new management team, with proven knowledge in testing, quality and release production. Only after this can we look forward to what else is possible. What is not possible is to expect the userbase to accept shoddy amateur releases.

Agreed.

The team in charge of this game is incapable of making anything more than a series of disjointed tech demos that never gel into a coherent, enjoyable game.

We have the driving tech demo. Shoot rocks. Seriously, shooting rocks is a FEATURE. Granted, in any other game it would barely qualify as a proof of concept, but here...it's a game mechanic.

We have the flight system tech demo. It's really, truly great. On the rare occasions we fly our ships as opposed to staring blankly out the cockpit, it's a joy.

We have combat. The most fleshed out piece of game play. It doesn't matter, has zero visible consequences, exists in tiny, pointless, horde mode instances...but boy does it work. It utterly lacks balance, drags dogfights out for 20 boring minutes and generally serves no larger purpose, but wow does it work.

We have Exploration Spectator mode. And mining and Salvage proof of concepts.

Now all we need...is a management team capable of combining all these disparate mechanics, into a GAME.

Why would you want to PP out? Make it more integral, balanced and appealing to casual players. That's actually very low hanging fruit for them. +1 for rest of sentence.

Because PowerPlay itself is not part of Elite. You could cut it out of the game right now in its entirety without changing any other game mechanics. Merits? Nothing else uses merits in the game. They're no good for determining faction rank or upgrading your ship. PowerPlay rank? Same thing. Disconnected and meaningless. You can pledge to the Emperor herself but still be a "loyal" Federation Admiral. Control Capital? Fortification? "Exploited By"? All just labels for separate, shifting colors around on a transparent layer that sits on top of the main game without affecting it. In fact, in order to effectively participate in PowerPlay, a CMDR has to give up running missions, trading, and exploring - in other words the activities at the heart of playing Elite - in order to succeed at this separate game.

And for what? PP has been going on for two years and what has changed? There's no collapse mechanic. Powers can't lose, nor can they win. After two years, nothing of consequence has happened. Meanwhile, the actual in-game universe supported by the BGS has gone on its merry way, with a majority of the players actively ignoring or completely oblivious to the grand power struggle that's supposed to be engulfing the galaxy.

I'm pretty sure nobody even looks at the PowerPlay map except when they accidentally tab over too far in the galactic map and switch back after being temporarily blinded by all the colors.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely loved the idea behind PP (adding high level NPCs and factions) and the communities that sprouted from it are the one positive effect it's had on the game. But I but think the execution was terrible. Tacking what's essentially a board game onto a dedicated spaceship sim made no sense. Everything that PowerPlay entails takes the pilot out of the ship's cockpit. Having the factional struggle happen within the BGS and existing economic/mission/reputation mechanics would have been so much better.

Bringing it into the main game, taking all the energy of the dedicated CMDRs who play it but allowing them to play Elite is the way to go.

All just my .02cr of course.

verminstar

Banned

Imk actually hoping we will hear something juicy and shiny, but fer different reasons. Their next season plan, whatever form it takes needs to be sold to a wave of salty, unhappy and skint players who have, fer the past week or so, totally owned the forums. Although tbh, there was a mountain of salt already there that just seems to have gotten worse.

Frontier need to show something jaw dropping...something that makes the many critics shut up and go 'WOW'. Anything less that that? Well, ye can always say 'told ye so' later...thing about it is, what ye think that would do fer sales? Certainly wont get another penny from me and Ill play what I have now or walk if I have no choice but to cough up.

Or do people still think theres enough trust and faith in them that they will get away with another mystery tour? Pure speculation of course...but makes sense when ye think about it...only 2 days left before we find out ^

I hope for QoL and core gameplay updates, followed by a decent bug hunt (with torches and hayforks)

I dream to see new landable planet types and IVA / EVA gameplay in 3.x, but i also love to be surprised. Just keep it comin'

Because PowerPlay itself is not part of Elite. You could cut it out of the game right now in its entirety without changing any other game mechanics. Merits? Nothing else uses merits in the game. They're no good for determining faction rank or upgrading your ship. PowerPlay rank? Same thing. Disconnected and meaningless. You can pledge to the Emperor herself but still be a "loyal" Federation Admiral. Control Capital? Fortification? "Exploited By"? All just labels for separate, shifting colors around on a transparent layer that sits on top of the main game without affecting it. In fact, in order to effectively participate in PowerPlay, a CMDR has to give up running missions, trading, and exploring - in other words the activities at the heart of playing Elite - in order to succeed at this separate game.

And for what? PP has been going on for two years and what has changed? There's no collapse mechanic. Powers can't lose, nor can they win. After two years, nothing of consequence has happened. Meanwhile, the actual in-game universe supported by the BGS has gone on its merry way, with a majority of the players actively ignoring or completely oblivious to the grand power struggle that's supposed to be engulfing the galaxy.

I'm pretty sure nobody even looks at the PowerPlay map except when they accidentally tab over too far in the galactic map and switch back after being temporarily blinded by all the colors.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely loved the idea behind PP (adding high level NPCs and factions) and the communities that sprouted from it are the one positive effect it's had on the game. But I but think the execution was terrible. Tacking what's essentially a board game onto a dedicated spaceship sim made no sense. Everything that PowerPlay entails takes the pilot out of the ship's cockpit. Having the factional struggle happen within the BGS and existing economic/mission/reputation mechanics would have been so much better.

Bringing it into the main game, taking all the energy of the dedicated CMDRs who play it but allowing them to play Elite is the way to go.

All just my .02cr of course.

I agree with you completely regarding powerplay. It should have been a part of the current factions we already have. Or if there are to be these super powers above factions, then there needs to be a lot more then what we have and it needs to have closer ties to the BGS factions. So you get certain factions that are allied to that super power, once they have got in power it is far easier to look after that system etc. At the moment it is like a completely seperate game above the main game. Powerplay should be able to provide gameplay if you are pledged or not.

What do you think they'll show for ED?

I'm going up there with a completely open mind and will judge things as I see them. :) I'm very much looking forward to it.

I am interested to find out if the new Jurassic game will support VR, though. As the Cobra engine supports it, I'd hope that it would be something that FD look to implement in all their games.

The Frontier Expo is Saturday October 7 in London. They'll show Jurassic World Evolution and new information about Elite Dangerous season 3.

Season 3 is primarily about core game improvements. We might get atmospheric landings and space legs inside ships.

What do you think they'll show for ED?

1) We dont know if there will be a season model in the future.
2) We dont know how many patches, if plural, will be on 'core improvements'.

We really know very little. :)

I like your insistent desire to call other people amateurs, stupid and ask them to be fired. Shows great class! :rolleyes:
Well, there's seem to be sizeable community who supports idea that firing people always make things better. Just take a look what got elected at the other side of pond.

FD as always will own their own mistakes. They have always done so.

I like your insistent desire to call other people amateurs, stupid and ask them to be fired. Shows great class! :rolleyes:

He didn't call anyone anything.

Demonstrably, based on this and prior releases, the team in charge of this game is inadequate to the task. That is observable truth.

Rushed, bug riddled releases. Reintroduced, previously squashed bugs. A broken major update before a holiday weekend. The Thargoid weapon disaster.

Doesn't mean they are stupid or bad people. But ut DOES mean they are not fit for THIS role.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Look, it's starting to tread close to the line of Employee harassment at the moment.

Can we please consider what we post, the forum is to discuss the game not the staff.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think that having 2.4 in progress will stop them from showing stuff. It says on the expo site for ED "special content reveal". It will not be 2.4 as they want to keep whats left hidden, so it has to be the core game updates and possibly the next expansion (whatever that may be).

Really hope its not just the type 10 , or something equally *groan*, getting to the point were we need a little bit more than "Core game updates". We'll see Sat night, hopefully its Woohoo :)

Last edited:
He didn't call anyone anything.

Demonstrably, based on this and prior releases, the team in charge of this game is inadequate to the task. That is observable truth.

Rushed, bug riddled releases. Reintroduced, previously squashed bugs. A broken major update before a holiday weekend. The Thargoid weapon disaster.

Doesn't mean they are stupid or bad people. But ut DOES mean they are not fit for THIS role.

Because you said so? You know employer/employee relationships and business goals go way beyond client whims?

Also less hyperbole.

Top Bottom