FSS Question

Can you show me an enjoyable way....

Kidding.

I haven’t started this thread for an argument, I have a genuine question and am happy for the thread to be locked once I have an answer.

I arrive in a system, FSS detects, say, 12 signals, 12 bodies in total. How is it when I have scanned 5 of them it tells me I’m 50% done? 5 is not 50% of 12.

Thanks.

It's a bit weird - like often there will be 2 stars and it will say 51% complete. Had a look at whether it was related to '% system mass', but it's nothing that obvious 🤷‍♀️

It's a bit weird - like often there will be 2 stars and it will say 51% complete. Had a look at whether it was related to '% system mass', but it's nothing that obvious 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for looking. I thought it was going to be some mathematical answer based on probabilities or mean/average or some damn thing I don’t understand.

The other one I have is in my ship it shows me as combat, Master, 6% but in my SRV it says 7%.

It is, shall we say, “somewhat buggy” in places...

It is, however, excellent at it’s purpose of finding and discovering USS locations and identifying them (even if thst is actually done more easily by just dropping to the nav beacon most of the time).

Kidding.

I haven’t started this thread for an argument, I have a genuine question and am happy for the thread to be locked once I have an answer.

I arrive in a system, FSS detects, say, 12 signals, 12 bodies in total. How is it when I have scanned 5 of them it tells me I’m 50% done? 5 is not 50% of 12.

Thanks.

It’s very simple: stars count as bodies, and they’re resolved with the honk.

So star + 5 other bodies = 6/12 = 50%

Hey you first was one one of the most perplexing questions in all of the game. I bet Raxxla is right next to the enjoyment signal source somewhere.

Or I'm not triple elite so the fuss will forever elude me.

Darkfyre had the answer.

Seems that we've lost a faith that devs are able to produce reasonable product...

uh huh.

No thats a lie its just the fss.

Kidding.

Thanks.
Because the main star counts as one of them and you didn't have to scan it.

I hope this satisfies your question because it is the answer

Here's the completed system, the icy body is separate from the others but not a moon, maybe location in the system structure is a factor?

Edit:
Ok, tried this at LHS 3377. Upon first scan it has 29%, with 2/12 bodies scanned. These are the A and B stars, so they give 14-15 percentage points each. The system then shows 8 planets and 2 moons. The moons increase the percentage complete by 5-6 points, planets increase it by 7-8. The moons are both icy bodies, as are some of the planets; so I'm inclined towards a structure-based points method.

Last edited:
There must be something more to it...

Edit: Adding High Metal Content Worlds moved the figure to 54%, 59%, 64%, 69%, 74%, 80%, 85% and 90%. Adding the final body, an Icy Body, moved it to 100%. So body type could be a factor.
Here's the completed system, the icy body is separate from the others but not a moon, maybe location in the system structure is a factor?

Edit:
Ok, tried this at LHS 3377. Upon first scan it has 29%, with 2/12 bodies scanned. These are the A and B stars, so they give 14-15 percentage points each. The system then shows 8 planets and 2 moons. The moons increase the percentage complete by 5-6 points, planets increase it by 7-8. The moons are both icy bodies, as are some of the planets; so I'm inclined towards a structure-based points method.

I wonder if the fact that the system is inhabited is the source of the disconnect between the x/y count and the scan percentage. From what I’m seeing on the system map, there’s two stations and at least two planetary ports. If you add in the Nav beacon, and round up, that would account for the 48%.

I wonder if the fact that the system is inhabited is the source of the disconnect between the x/y count and the scan percentage. From what I’m seeing on the system map, there’s two stations and at least two planetary ports. If you add in the Nav beacon, and round up, that would account for the 48%.

I’m way out in deep space, this keeps happening out here. No population.

Top Bottom