GALNET - Prototype Frame Shift Drive almost production ready, competitor sceptical - 04 APR 3310

That a Best-in-Slot FSD does not exist anymore is interesting.

My daily driver sat at 52ly+ jump range due to a dual-engineered FSD. I did nearly everything with it.
Now, on the other hand, it's touching ~25ly with the SCO drive.

Haven't run a beefy set of missions yet that would really test it properly...
...but so far it seems like a no-brainer to use the SCO for most stuff.
And maybe switch to the dual-engineered min-max'd FSD for a day of dedicated 200ly+ long distance work.

SCO really turns supercruise into active gameplay.
Slashed the traveltime for a mission in half, saving 2½ minutes. That's like three jumps in time-spent saved.

Also kind of humurous that it turns FDL/Mamba murderboats into aenemic sub-8ly vessels that light themselves on fire the moment they SCO...

Motorsport is different because for example F1 has rules to prevent big discrepancies. Otherwise it's not a fair competition between the F1 drivers.

The tech of regular car engines improves every few years. There's downsizing to reduce emissions and improve fuel efficiency. People with deep pockets can buy supercars and hypercars that far exceed regular cars.

The new FSD (SCO) module has too much downsides for regular use.
Just like super and hyper cars.

Sensor range in SC has always been dependent on velocity (range is something like 40s of travel time). Even ships with standard FSDs can detect and be detected by other at tens of thousands of ls off, if they move fast enoug
In that occasion that I screenshotted I was in a 'Conda with normal FSD doing leasurely 11c in an alert system while waiting for threat 4 NHSS-s to spawn. The other commander was zipping around with the SCO, and I detected him at 15000 ls, then he dropped off my sensors while the contact info said "Overcharge signature fading".

Which makes me think that once you engage SCO your ship will stuck out like a sore thumb for other ships sensors no matter at what speed they move, meaning you can't exactly sneak around a system using it. A hollow triangle dashing after someone will be visible for everyone who just arrived at the main star with throttles at 0 or just started climing out of the gravity well from a station to go to the CZ/RES. With normal FSD travel a ship doing 2001c will be invisible to the ship idling at 0 throttle 10000 ls away.

If the SCO FSD was better than the FSD in all aspects, I would so salty for having fully engineered several different FSDs across almost 40 ships only to have to do it all over again...
Power creep like that ain't fun, specially for long time players. Different tools for different problems is always a more interesting design anyways.

I just hope we get to engineer it, maybe by having an A-rated version that can be engineered but has slightly lower base jump range (to cover the increase possible with engineering).

Having my Titan Pod Mining Rescue ship jump range at 9.4 Ly makes it impossible to find a decent carrier parking spot two jumps away from Oya to do rescues. Only choices I have are doing so many jumps that I can't make the travel back (not viable), spending materials to overcharge the FSD (incurs extra grinding later), or simply not using the SCO. The FSD Booster module would make things better, if only Titan space didn't destroy it in less than a minute (and the build had space for it).

My Ody driver on the other hand had an almost 20 Ly range (about the limit for out-of-system Ody mission ranges) with a Class 2, but with the Class 3 SCO it stays at almost 15 Ly. Trading one extra jump (sometimes) is okay for faster system movement. I'll just have to slap a fuel scoop on it, since it has an undersized fuel tank.

Just like super and hyper cars.

There's dozens of supercars that are suitable as daily drivers and can do everything (better) than a cheap car. The barrier for entry is the price tag and higher costs.

Last edited:
In that occasion that I screenshotted I was in a 'Conda with normal FSD doing leasurely 11c in an alert system while waiting for threat 4 NHSS-s to spawn. The other commander was zipping around with the SCO, and I detected him at 15000 ls, then he dropped off my sensors while the contact info said "Overcharge signature fading".

They'd need to be moving at 350-400c for you to detect them at ~15k ls and falling below that when SCO ended could explain the loss of sensor contact. It's hard not to move fairly fast with SCO engaged.

I'll probably do some testing later with SCO vs. normal FSDs and see if there is any difference in detection range at the same velocity.

There's dozens of supercars that are suitable as daily drivers and can do everything (better) than a cheap car.
Porsche 911 is probably the most practical everyday supercar, but good luck taking a family of 5 to a road trip with that, or hauling furniture home from shop. On the other hand, a high trim Renault Traffic or MB V class is relatively cheap, comfortable, economical and hauls everything you probably ever need to haul.
They'd need to be moving at 350-400c for you to detect them at ~15k l
Doesn't detection range depend only on the speed of detecting ship, not the detected ship? At least that's been my experience—I might idle 5000 ls from the star searching for USS-s and not see any traffic on sensors; I speed up to 200c and pick up NPC-s doing all sorts of speeds—just about to drop out at stations or doing several dozen c-s in shipping lanes.

Doesn't detection range depend only on the speed of detecting ship, not the detected ship? At least that's been my experience—I might idle 5000 ls from the star searching for USS-s and not see any traffic on sensors; I speed up to 200c and pick up NPC-s doing all sorts of speeds—just about to drop out at stations or doing several dozen c-s in shipping lanes.

It's been so long since I tested it that I'm not sure.

It's supposed according to the old documentation to be mutual 45s range: so anything you could reach in 45s at your speed, and also anything which could reach you in 45s at its speed, ignoring the effects of gravity wells.

For a very long time it's been 45s your speed only ... but it's possible that's another bug which was quietly fixed with the drive introduction (or for that matter, given my current exploration trip, could have been any time since U15) so it would need retesting to be sure.

Porsche 911 is probably the most practical everyday supercar, but good luck taking a family of 5 to a road trip with that, or hauling furniture home from shop. On the other hand, a high trim Renault Traffic or MB V class is relatively cheap, comfortable, economical and hauls everything you probably ever need to haul.

I don't want to turn this into a Car Guys thread but on the other hand the supercar analogy is useful in general, so I really have to point out the 911 isn't the point anyone was making. The 911 in particular is a terrible example to use in this discussion. The 911 is a very silly car that you buy because it is very silly and you can't go to the shops in it. It is a rear-engine coupe with a single purpose and it is designed to that not-going-to-the-shops purpose. That is the point of it. (I mentioned the MR2 in another thread already...)

The supercars useful to this discussion are things like Maserati GT, Aston DB11 AMR, Ferrari 456, and the current meta which is Koenigsegg Gemera.
The point is that there are four-seater supercars and Avant supercars and these days hell there are even full-on SUV supercars (some of which are also full electric!) But they are expensive to own and operate and also a pain the to park and various other pains that go with supercarness.

So you are correct that the 911 is not a good car to go on holiday with three kids but... nobody said it was?

Yes and I didn't say that the narrative said that.

The right term is "suggestions" for the new FSD. The Python is better than the Sidewinder, but both can co-exist and so can that.
That's an odd comparison. I have the Courier, all the other small ships can be tossed out.

That's an odd comparison. I have the Courier, all the other small ships can be tossed out.

Well in some situations, the player might not want to risk a more expensive ship. The Sidewinder is less of a target for pirates and it draws less attention.

Motorsport is different because for example F1 has rules to prevent big discrepancies. Otherwise it's not a fair competition between the F1 drivers.
You think F1 cars are equal? Nowhere near, if your looking for a motorsport where its genuinely down to the person you need to look at 2 wheels.

O7

So you are correct that the 911 is not a good car to go on holiday with three kids but... nobody said it was?
I'm not a car guy, especially when it comes to supercars (why fret over something I'll never, ever be able to afford anyway?) but I remember some local auto journalist/reviewer claim 911 to be rather practical in which trunk you can actually fit a bag of groceries. Unlike many other sports/supercars where the "trunk" is barely bigger than the glovebox. But that was some 20 years ago so things probably have changed a lot since then, I just haven't had any reason to keep up with them and 911 was the only thing that popped into my mind beside McLaren F1 and Lotus Elise:)

I'm not a car guy, especially when it comes to supercars (why fret over something I'll never, ever be able to afford anyway?) but I remember some local auto journalist/reviewer claim 911 to be rather practical in which trunk you can actually fit a bag of groceries. Unlike many other sports/supercars where the "trunk" is barely bigger than the glovebox. But that was some 20 years ago so things probably have changed a lot since then, I just haven't had any reason to keep up with them and 911 was the only thing that popped into my mind beside McLaren F1 and Lotus Elise:)
As someone who spent a few months driving a 911 (wasn't mine i was just 'looking after' the owner and his family) i can tell you that you can get a lot of beer in that space ;)

O7

Top Bottom