General / Off-Topic Game of Thrones - Season 8 (Potential spoilers inside)

Viserys not only tried to steal the egg, he broke their law: "Viserys unsheathes his sword, too drunk and arrogant to heed Jorah's warning that brandishing a sword in the Dothraki holy city is punishable by death".
He was already dead.
I know that. What the hell has that got anything to do with whether Dany would be horrified what happened to her brother or not, just because he was already a dead man walking doesn't make it any less horiffic, as I said the warning signs were there from the beginning.

I have watched the show and read all of the books so far written.

Why, would she flinch? Unless you imply she was suffering from a Stockholm syndrom to her abussive brother, that sold her as a ****e to a Dothraki?
Did you really read and watched? I can't see how you could have missed it.
I have not missed anything. It's called being a human being. Even if I watched a peado die like that I would be horrified. Doesn't matter who they are or what they have done.

I am wondering if you have watched the show or read the books. The warning signs were there for ages. Not my fault if you thought her actions were perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
Why, would she flinch? Unless you imply she was suffering from a Stockholm syndrom to her abussive brother, that sold her as a ****e to a Dothraki?
Did you really read and watched? I can't see how you could have missed it.

The point is Dany has been proven to by UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY RUTHLESS to those who are against her AND betray her....even when she has ALL her dragons and friends/supporters alive and around her...so take that support away and 2 dragons dead......people have become unhinged after LESS than all that.

She already knew thanks to Jon telling Sansa that Westeros will NEVER accept her, unless she does something to make them all FEAR the living crap out of her. Capiche.

TLDR she Naaaaaaaaaaasty beyatch.

I see why it bothers you but the Supernatural is clearly established in the series, just apply that to the dragons. Or do you think it's ok Melisandre lighted the blades of the Dothraki, we didn't see her coat the blades in oil or use a lighted bit of wood did we? There's more magicky stuff involved than we think, it's just doesn't dwell or focus on it like Harry Potter.

You're missing the point.

It's not the supernatural aspects that I have issue with. The other supernatural aspects were fairly well done, the dragons were not.

The problem is inconsistency and and the absurdities behind the mundane aspects and how they were combined with the supernatural ones. Everything from the speed of the dragons, to them hovering, to the quantity and apparent impact force of their gouts of fire, to the arbitrary protection (or lack thereof) provided by their scales, to people being able to ride them bareback while they repeatedly go from 200kph to 0 or pull negative 4g dives...each case of laziness in depicting them erroded my suspension of disbelief until it became one of the most cringe worthy aspects of the entire show. It could easily have been done so much better, while depicting the same events, using the same screen time, with the same animation budget. It's like it was directed and animated by someone who never had their own body to interact with the physical world an thus had no grasp of how things should look in a universe that follows even vaguely similar natural laws.

GoT depiction of dragons wouldn't pass muster in most of the D&D games I've run or played in; even the ones where everyone has a talking sword, a personal army of zombies, casts lightning bolts from their arses, has been raised from the dead twenty times, and regularly commutes across dimensions.

I have not missed anything. It's called being a human being.

Everyone's different.

You're missing the point.

It's not the supernatural aspects that I have issue with. The other supernatural aspects were fairly well done, the dragons were not.

The problem is inconsistency and and the absurdities behind the mundane aspects and how they were combined with the supernatural ones. Everything from the speed of the dragons, to them hovering, to the quantity and apparent impact force of their gouts of fire, to the arbitrary protection (or lack thereof) provided by their scales, to people being able to ride them bareback while they repeatedly go from 200kph to 0 or pull negative 4g dives...each case of laziness in depicting them erroded my suspension of disbelief until it became one of the most cringe worthy aspects of the entire show. It could easily have been done so much better, while depicting the same events, using the same screen time, with the same animation budget. It's like it was directed and animated by someone who never had their own body to interact with the physical world an thus had no grasp of how things should look in a universe that follows even vaguely similar natural laws.

GoT depiction of dragons wouldn't pass muster in most of the D&D games I've run or played in; even the ones where everyone has a talking sword, a personal army of zombies, casts lightning bolts from their arses, has been raised from the dead twenty times, and regularly commutes across dimensions.

That's because the phsyics/reality of Dragons has never been a thing, it's irrelevant to the show. If you can accept some supernatural things then just apply that to dragons. That's why this genre is called fantasy, fantastical stuff happens. Some fantasy has established roots in reality trying to explain why things happen, others do not. Do the books explain the dragons abilities more?

I think you missed the point where he didn't.
Drogon was ahead, and Rhaelgan cought up to him, and positioned him self next to him.

Point me in this video where he was struggling to fly lol:

Cherry pick the scene of him(her?) already in the air why don't you? Watch the beginning of that WHOLE scene again (not the YT abridged one you posted), Rhaegal CLEARLY struggled to take off and was established to be injured, clearly you missed that.

That's because the phsyics/reality of Dragons has never been a thing, it's irrelevant to the show. If you can accept some supernatural things then just apply that to dragons. That's why this genre is called fantasy, fantastical stuff happens. Some fantasy has established roots in reality trying to explain why things happen, others do not. Do the books explain the dragons abilities more?

That's a lazy, and poor, way to depict a setting.

Fantasy is no excuse for absurdity or surrealism, especially in a setting like GoT which is premised around having a certain degree of verisimilitude.

The books, from what I've read, explain the dragons less, which is much, much, better than explaining them poorly.

No, it's called "You are judging her by your own standards."
Yes there were signs, but Viserys death was not one of them. That was justice.
What has justice got to do with it. It was a horrific death no matter where you come from. Do you think people of old wouldn't have been horrified by that death.

Hanging would have been enough and he deserved to die, I think we can all agree with that, it's the manner of the death which is what I am talking about. It was horrific no matter what and even if he was a pile of crap, he was still her brother and lived all of her childhood with him. For her not to show any emotion at all and act like nothing has happened is somewhat worrying.

Whether he deserved to die is not the issue here and certainly not what I am talking about.

That's a lazy, and poor, way to depict a setting.

Fantasy is no excuse for absurdity or surrealism, especially in a setting like GoT which is premised around having a certain degree of verisimilitude.

The books, from what I've read, explain the dragons less, which is much, much, better than explaining them poorly.

overthinking fantasy is not good IMO.

If you are talking about the scene in Winterfell before they left, let me point you to this map:
main-qimg-df19f25ad5ff750e449a1e48da77b48c

He showed no signs of Injery or Struggle to fly, days or weeks after they arrived to Dragonstone.
So your assumption are nothing more than baseless speculation, that are not supported by video evidence of the event of Rhaegal death.

Gawd, but he WAS injured, that WAS established, he WAS shown having trouble taking off, do you know how long it takes a dragon to heal fully (cause I sure as hell don't)?? and they WERE taken by surprise. That's the ONLT time a scorpion hit a dragon, after that the other shots hit an injured struggling dragon...unless the first hit was ineffective. Side profile DOES have a larger surface area to hit than a frontal profile...please just stop it.

overthinking fantasy is not good IMO.

Wanting stuff to make sense within the context presented is not 'overthinking', if there even is such a thing.

Take a look at Brandon Sanderson's 'First Law': https://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/

While not my favorite author, I do feel this approach almost always results in a more immersive, more believable, fantasy setting, and can do so even with vastly more common and overt supernatural elements than GoT.

With GoT, at least the HBO series, I'm often not even sure if magic is being depicted or an author simply doesn't know how reality works...and I'm usually left with the latter impression. This is not conducive to my entertainment.

What you are talking about is what we got from Oberyn Martell death to the Mountaine and Ellaria reaction to it - that was geniune reaction because of their close relationship. Viserys and Dany - were opposite.
I am not expecting that kind of reaction, but I would expect a reaction of some kind though from a rational human being.

Top Bottom