Game won't load from Oculus Home?

Anyone else having problems with an Oculus Home installation since the 3.3.01 update today? OH autoupdated the version and since that the game won't at all.

If I hit play in OH the game starts to load I get a non-Horizon's version of the launcher (even though I have Horizons) and a second Window saying "Close window and login via the Elite Dangerous Launcher".

I've tried to do a fresh login to the launcher but it wont let me. Launcher also won't check for software update either. I've restarted OH but not difference.

I've tried manually loading the launcher from the exe but again same thing happens.

At the bottom the launcher version says... "0.4.6491.0 [0.4.6496.0 requires update] FD"

Anyone else seeing this? Cheers...

I think we are all in the same boat...The launch page no longer has a launch link...Looks like another well thought out update.
Hmmmmmmmmmm….

This is not the same problem and this change does not fix the incorrect launcher issue.

Fixed this as per someone else suggestion (kind of) by partially install the FDEV SA launcher version of the game and copying the launcher over to the oculus directory. Can now get into the game but it seems to crash after about a minute of gameplay, 4 times in a row. Played 3.3 last weekend without issue. Just launched in 2D from the same laucher and it works fine.

Looks like 3.3.01 is completely broken for VR. Do FDEV actually test patches in VR at all??! Alternatively maybe the launcher has been deployed non-functional because the game is broken for VR...? [mad]

This is not the same problem and this change does not fix the incorrect launcher issue.

Fixed this as per someone else suggestion (kind of) by partially install the FDEV SA launcher version of the game and copying the launcher over to the oculus directory. Can now get into the game but it seems to crash after about a minute of gameplay, 4 times in a row. Played 3.3 last weekend without issue. Just launched in 2D from the same laucher and it works fine.

Looks like 3.3.01 is completely broken for VR. Do FDEV actually test patches in VR at all??! Alternatively maybe the launcher has been deployed non-functional because the game is broken for VR...? [mad]

Not sure what your trying to do then? This works "exactly" the same way it did prior to this latest release, with the edit of course. I start Oculus, select ED from the Oculus library, everything loads/starts just as it used to, straight into ED, use Dash to pin the windows I want inside the cockpit, off I go. That's exactly the routine I used before, and it works for the others in that linked thread. I just finished playing for 3 straight hours without one issue. Guess I'm not sure what your trying to achieve?

Last edited:
Just trying to play the game but it won't load correctly as incorrect launcher version. Take a look at the first post and the bug report from many others...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/466698-Game-Launcher-will-not-update

My fault for not stipulating above, I also have the exact same launcher, same number, saying it requires an update.

It did not work properly, until the edits were done to the json file in the manifests folder. Once that's done, ED loads just like it did prior to the update, from the Oculus library. Without the edits, no, it didn't work as it used to. The edit works, you must have some other issue going on, perhaps bad downloads, we're both using the same launcher so that's not the issue.

My Oculus App Version is 1.33.0.750915.

Here's my ED launcher...

la2pJoN.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks. I checked the file mentioned in the link you provided and that file already had those parameters as required (i.e. /vr for the VR mode). So must be somehting else wrong. Looks like I am not the only one though... :)

Last edited:
Make sure the relevant lines in the json file match what's below, "exactly".

"launchParameters": "ED /vr /autoquit",
"launchFile2D": "ORID.exe",
"launchParameters2D": "ED /novr",

I agree, your not alone, and I was in your shoes, just like the rest, until doing the edits above. Should also add, the edit didn't work until I rebooted the system. Restarting the Oculus service might have worked, just as easy to reboot.

Are you running the Public Test version of Oculus, or the latest release version? I was having issues with the PT version, and opted out, back to the release. That may be something to look at?

Last edited:
Thanks. Here is the relevant content from the json file...

"launchParameters": "ED /vr /autoquit",
"launchFile2D": "ORID.exe",
"launchParameters2D": "ED /novr",

It was this by default I haven't needed to change it.

Copying the launcher exe from a partial standalone installation seems to partially fix the issue although the game seems to CTD frequently.

I am on the release version of OH not the public beta version.

This is an Oculus store problem.
Not an ED 3.3 issue.

I'm running the basic frontier launcher like always. No problems.
Apart from the known bugs that is.

FWIW, for me, the Oculus update went smooth this time (am on Public Test, I think), and the .json files are correct again. For the Oculus Commander Deluxe Edition, I didn't have to re-authenticate again.

So this is just to mention I had comparable launcher problems with the Steam installation on my notebook (non-VR). Steam downloaded the update and everything was fine, didn't have to re-authenticate and all, could login and check the new Mamba speed, among other things. But then, shortly afterwards, the game suddenly complained about the launcher being too old and Steam downloaded another patch, 0 kB size which is strange. Afterwards, ED prompted me with their nasty authentication dialog again. It took several minutes for the code email to arrive, but then everything went ok. Only have access to the notebook here, there, the launcher version is 2018.12.17 0.4.6496.0.FD now. Perhaps, Oculus shipped an outdated version too at first.

O7,
[noob]

I installed the ED update in Oculus last night and it launched just fine. I was even happy to see that they fixed the issue where the game wasn't actually launching until you interacted with the launcher on your desktop.

This isn't the first time Oculus has pushed out a broken update of Elite and punished the early adopters. It might be worth giving it some time before installing the latest updates.

Top Bottom