ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Right now they've said 'we don't see any plans we'd already told you about changing significantly, but since the situation itself is fast-moving, if that changes we'll let you know.'

I think what some people (including me) are baffled by is why that statement has prompted people saying 'Oh they're obviously going to use the global pandemic virus as an excuse to delay things.'

Firstly because it's literally the exact opposite of what they've actually said - the message is 'if that changes we will let you know' so how we infer from that anything other than 'nothing else has been said yet so nothing has changed' is frankly beyond me. I could mention countless previous situations where the same baffling inability to understand simnple messages has presented itself.

Secondly because in the event that anything does actually change as a result of it, suggesting that it would be some sort of excuse for organisational incompetence or masking a delay that they'd already known about, as some have done in this thread, is frankly crass in the extreme.

I particularly love the people who are saying 'oh I work from home and blah whatever' seemingly failing to grasp that there's a significant difference between always working from home, for an employer that is entirely geared up to support home working with management structures and policies developed for that purpose, compared to being told at very short notice to clear out of the office and start working from home when your employer is entirely geared up to support working in a single communal hub where all members of multiple teams can collaborate. Yes, you can virtualise all of that but suggesting that you can move to having all of your support systems in place to enable that workflow in a few days is nonsensical. Maybe if you work for a three-man firm you can thrash it out in a few e-mails about who is going to do what but in a firm with over 500 staff it's slightly more complex.

I've been working from home since Thursday. My role is usually wholly office-based. As of today I know what I'll be doing tomorrow, or more accurately I know what the plan for what I'll be doing tomorrow was on Friday when I last checked in with the office. The only guarantee I have right now is that when I check my e-mails tommorrow morning some of those plans will have changed.

That's without taking account of the fact that the significant external factors which come with the current situation are changing daily and will in turn impact any planning decisions, or that fact that within 8-12 weeks it's entirely possible that up to 80% of FDev's staff in the worst-case scenario may be infected, with some of them unable to work at all. If the strain on the health service is as anticipated, which will mean critical care beds are oversubscribed to the tune of 30 patients per available bed, Brtiain is going to look like something out of 28 Days Later by the end of June which amazingly enough is the time the next update was due.

But yeah, it's completely out of order that Bo can't just get her crystal ball out and let everybody know about the most important thing - whether the fleet carriers update will be delayed 🙄
Re-watch Threads. :)

I actually watched it about 18 months ago. I watched it when it was originally broadcast too, I was 13 at the time and yeah it had exactly the effect you'd think it did. Doesn't help that I only live about 40 miles away from where it was set.
When the wind blows is also fantastic, in a harrowing way.

Why are people defending FDev for coronavirus related delays when they haven't announced any new delays?

This is the most bizarre non argument I've ever seen.
You're absolutely correct. It is a non argument. Except for this, taken from the main Frontier page, posted by Bo Marit:

Hi everyone,

We’d like to take a moment to update you all on what’s happening at Frontier with regards to COVID-19, and what you can expect from us in the foreseeable future.

In order to safeguard the health and safety of all Frontier employees, we are implementing a work from home policy across the studio.

Have they announced any delays? No they have not. It's completely understandable if it occurs though. Is anyone complaining already? Yep. I'm sure the Dev Teams can do many things from home. There's likely a few things that probably can't be. By Friday March 20, Frontier didn't have a choice. The UK went on a "shelter at home policy," ordered by PM Johnson. So, IF any delay happens with carriers, I'm good with it.

If I find anymore PIs out in the yard, I'll let you know.

SR o7

@Red Anders is a taxman just so everyone here knows.

Yeah thanks for that... 😁

The tax inspectors are not in their offices they are at home due to the virus and the government have suspended a lot of business taxes for the duration of the quarantine. So as it stands your comparison actually indicates workplace disruption, staff shortages and delays are to be expected.

Some of us are at home, working. Many of my colleagues are still in the office though since we need to maintain a phone service; we've had to cut the opening hours down to 8am - 4pm rather than the usual 8am - 8pm and we also had to drop Saturdays but at the moment the plan is to maintain that. The only people in my own part of the organisation that are working from home are those with underlying health conditions, or those living with/caring for those in the most at risk groups. Unsurprisingly we're classed as key workers since although we're not in one of the sexy frontline services like the NHS pr police, we do collect the vast majority of the money that pays for them, along with all of the other measures the government have announced.

The tax inspectors are not in their offices they are at home due to the virus and the government have suspended a lot of business taxes for the duration of the quarantine. So as it stands your comparison actually indicates workplace disruption, staff shortages and delays are to be expected.
Oh no... another fact plucked out of the air to shrug off!

Some of us are at home, working. Many of my colleagues are still in the office though since we need to maintain a phone service; we've had to cut the opening hours down to 8am - 4pm rather than the usual 8am - 8pm and we also had to drop Saturdays but at the moment the plan is to maintain that. The only people in my own part of the organisation that are working from home are those with underlying health conditions, or those living with/caring for those in the most at risk groups. Unsurprisingly we're classed as key workers since although we're not in one of the sexy frontline services like the NHS pr police, we do collect the vast majority of the money that pays for them, along with all of the other measures the government have announced.

Good man, use you key worker status to skip the line of panic buyers at the supermarket. The staff seem to really enjoy letting us cut in.

Its like a ghost town out here. I was at one of the busiest motorway services in the UK at lunchtime a few days ago massive food court surrounded on three sides by rows of eateries and one lonely customer in the middle drinking from his own flask.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom