Proposal Discussion Gank Club - Testing bad behaviour

There has been a lot of kerfuffle on the forums over the last year regards PVP, ganking, griefing and negative aspects of the MP side of the game.

I'm proposing that a group of public spirited individuals help FD during the Beta to identify bugs, exploits and ways of abusing the system for nefarious means so they can iron them out prior to release.

I'd like to ask for volunteers to group up to test these negative aspects. Ideally I don't want to spoil the enjoyment of regular Beta players so we will need a relatively large number of volunteers so that some can play the bad guys and some can play the victims (We'll take turns, unless you like being the victim ;) different strokes and all that ).

If you'd like to participate, even for a short period please post on this thread or send me a message.
I won't be asking everyone to be awful all the time (unless they want to), just to participate in certain tests if they can (e.g. maybe one night a week or once every 2 weeks).

If you wouldn't like to participate but have some ideas of what we can try and test please post in this thread and I'll use your suggestions to compile a list of things we can look at.

If any of the Dev team want to get involved or have any suggestions on things they would like us to test and report back on please let me know.

I personally do not plan to continue this type of behaviour come gamma, this is purely for testing purposes and to help make the game better for non-gits.

I have access to a TeamSpeak server that we can jump on to chat while testing. I'll try and use this forum and messages to coordinate the testing but if needs be I could provide a private forum for us.

I propose that we start testing at least a week after Beta launches so that everyone has a chance to learn what's what and become comfortable with the game.

I plan for this to be a laid back experience with no pressure on anyone. If you can't make a certain test or for whatever reason you don't want to participate in a certain test then no worries.

You never know though, we may even have a bit of fun playing the bad guys :)

Some suggestions so far are:-

• Blocking access to key stations.
  • Large groups of players ganking single players or groups with less people in.
  • Actions that cause players to gain unintentional bounties.
  • Nullifying police forces so they cannot protect players.
  • Disabling but not destroying players so that they cannot do anything for long periods of time.
  • Manipulation of game rules such as insurance, bounties and cargo.
  • Comms Spamming.
  • Abusing Alliance and Group mechanics
  • Market manipulation

Volunteers so far :-
  • cassius
  • Thorn Black
  • Harker
  • Mysturji
  • Frobitz
  • Ayo
  • Katkon
  • Myotis
  • Globusdiablo
  • Bob_H

Just to make people aware I'm Premium Beta too so I won't be starting this till 6th or 7th of June.
Not starting it straight away as no doubt people will want some time to mess about and enjoy the game a bit.

I'll let this thread run until then just keeping this post updated with testing ideas and volunteers. Nearer the time I'll post something here, message all the volunteers with Teamspeak details, testing plan, place to meet etc.. and we'll take if from there.

Here's a link for Teamspeak if you haven't got it http://www.teamspeak.co.uk/
Don't worry if you don't have a mic. There is text facilities in Teamspeak so you can type to people.
Being on teamspeak will be helpful though in coordinating what we do

I'll post the Teamspeak server details nearer testing.

TL: DR version - Post in this thread if you'd like to help FD remove the ability for arseholes to be arseholes in the game come release by being arseholes once every so often during the beta. If you don't want to be a pretend arsehole but have any ideas on arseholey behaviour that we can test please also post in this thread.

Last edited:
I hope Gen-Han-Solo and his friends are reading this ... THIS ^^^ is how you do it.

Last edited:
Not something I can help you with sorry as I have little free time, but I hope your testing goes well - I wish you luck too, it's Alpha 4 so still "anything goes" and by trying to be an idiot you may stop future ones.

--

Whilst we are on the subject if you are on the receiving end of a beating don't make a post about it as you might be the victim but be forced to pay for it too ;)

LINK - Recent Forum rule change:

10. No Naming and Shaming.
We do not allow "naming and shaming" discussions, or types of content deemed naming and shaming on the Frontier discussion board. Naming and Shaming is the act of publicly naming someone and ridiculing or accusing them of something. This also includes putting names on a blacklist in your signature or thread.

11. No witch-hunts/mob-mentality hunts
We do not permit the Frontier forums to be used for 'witch-hunts' or mob-mentality griefing. This is essentially the inverse of naming and shaming where people will try to bait others into ratting people out.

A well thought out proposal for a tricky and potentially sensitive topic. Apparently i need to spread some rep around but theres definately a +1 coming your way mate :)

If all the alpha's and beta's play nicely without checking this kind of stuff, then undoubtedly someone will come along in the future and discover they can screw with the system (and us) for their own gain.

I'm premium beta only i'm afraid, so i can't participate just yet but if its still in place at the end of May i'll help out as much as time allows. It all goes towards a better game for everyone down the line :)

I glaldy join when beta roll out, first off its nice to know when and how and secondly its gonna be fun, got ts3 aswell, even couple :p
And a bottle of rum !

Malicar

Banned
Once an exploit is found and used to grief said players if the exploit is not reported via a proper ticket or bug report then the offender should be temp banned from Alpha and a Premium backer should take that spot. Aside from that if your not exploiting and just ganking then there is not much we can do except try to avoid you or fight back. However this early in development there will be plenty of grey area you can use excuses to defend your behavior.

Aha! Now all you need is a black eye-patch and a dodgy leg and you will fit right in :D

Parrot will be sufficent enough (smiling with that blink in the eye)

Once an exploit is found and used to grief said players if the exploit is not reported via a proper ticket or bug report then the offender should be temp banned from Alpha and a Premium backer should take that spot. Aside from that if your not exploiting and just ganking then there is not much we can do except try to avoid you or fight back. However this early in development there will be plenty of grey area you can use excuses to defend your behavior.

I like this "grey area" ...

Malicar

Banned
Parrot will be sufficent enough (smiling with that blink in the eye)

I like this "grey area" ...

I like the added danger of the PvP sandbox for sure. As I play WoW on a PvP server and to be honest I can't imagine playing it any other way. That said I don't gank noobs and don't go out of my way to kill Alliance who are questing in my area etc. However if someone does start something then I usually finish it. If I'm zerged I usually just log out for a few mins go for a smoke and come back.

I can even deal with some station blockading by real players etc. All of that adds to the immersion but at the same time the game itself must have it's own ways of dealing with these said problems and grey areas.

Put this on the list for later, when Groups are introduced: individually 'treacherous' actions or social-engineering techniques to break Group boundaries, so that eg one member of an alliance makes the entire alliance enter the All group where they can be ganked.

I'll ensure that everything we spot is reported. It's up to FD to handle it.
Ganking should be discouraged by the bounty system and law enforcement.
The idea here is to stress test things like law enforcement to look for potential loop holes less than savory players could exploit. If FD don't know about something they can't prevent it.

If you feel strongly about exploits and griefing then maybe help out. Better to do something about it than just complaining (I'm not saying you are, just speaking generally).

I'm premium beta so I won't be running anything till after it releases. Any Alpha backers that want to join in and start early are more than welcome to. Just make sure you note what you test and what the outcome is so we don't end up duplicating work.

Last edited:
Could be fun, and increase the fun for everyone later on. I'll have a bash at shutting up the arseholes.

Does that make me a buttplug?:S

PS. I'm Premium Beta. See you in June

Last edited:
I'm happy to help if I'm free.

Could I suggest that if FD get involved, is there a chance they could set us up in a separate server from everyone else for these sessions?

Just occurred to me - You could have a coordinated effort in manipulating markets and killing off milk runs....

Top Bottom