Ganking / Taranis

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'd like to share a few interactions related to Taranis (Open).
  1. As a purely solo pilot, you'll always be at a disadvantage. People come in a squad, a Corvette takes care of the Goids, a smaller ship scoopes the drives, and the third ship ganks competitors. That's fine, it's gameplay.
  2. Piracy in delivery system is fun.
  3. Getting ganked at 10 percent HP in Taranis is not fun.
  4. Getting ganked in Taranis AT ALL is not fun, since most ships that go in there don't have PvP capability. And once you jump on your PvP ship to gank the gankers, what do they do? They combat log. What sad times we live in.
  5. Old discussion of how ganking pushes people into Solo.
Cheers, and o7

Put a pair of long range Retributor beam lasers with heat vent experimental on something fast and nimble, and claim back Taranis with help of friendly Thargoids.

Why would you even consider doing this in Open, competing for an extremely random and rare spawning item?
At best get a team and do it in a PG - else just do it in solo

There is simply no point of Open in this scenario unless you enjoy griefing others or being griefed yourself.
Not even piracy is fun when you roam Taranis for an hour to get a single drive.

mobius.gif

PG FTW.
Never attend events in open if you want to get anything done.

I went to the Taranis wreckage in Open once. I found a Titan Drive Component, and the only time I got shot at (by a human ship) was when I carelessly flew into this one guy's thermal vent beam.

Mind you, I had already been there in Solo and got the one TDC needed for getting the CG rewards, so I was just fishing for bonuses at that point, and also wanted to see what other CMDRs were flying. There's no real advantage to doing it in Open. In my experience most CMDRs are cool, but there's still a non-trivial risk that you'll be instanced with some prat.

1. As a purely solo pilot, you'll always be at a disadvantage. People come in a squad, a Corvette takes care of the Goids, a smaller ship scoopes the drives, and the third ship ganks competitors. That's fine, it's gameplay.
  2. Piracy in delivery system is fun.
  3. Getting ganked at 10 percent HP in Taranis is not fun.
  4. Getting ganked in Taranis AT ALL is not fun, since most ships that go in there don't have PvP capability. And once you jump on your PvP ship to gank the gankers, what do they do? They combat log. What sad times we live in.
  5. Old discussion of how ganking pushes people into Solo.
Cheers, and o7
Those doing the ganking would say that you are building a poor ship (as it cannot survive the ganking attempt) or need to develop the required skills to evade/survive the gank. You want your game experience to be fighting thargoids/collecting mats and not engaging in PvP. They just see you as content for their game experience and do not care if your experience is not what you want it to be.

Steve

1. Getting ganked at 10 percent HP in Taranis is not fun.
  2. Getting ganked in Taranis AT ALL is not fun, since most ships that go in there don't have PvP capability. And once you jump on your PvP ship to gank the gankers, what do they do? They combat log. What sad times we live in.
  3. Old discussion of how ganking pushes people into Solo.
The hotel is thataway...

Provided there are players who provide targets for other players, the argument will be ever self-fuelling - with no targets but each other, the fun probably diminishes.

Why would you even consider doing this in Open, competing for an extremely random and rare spawning item?
At best get a team and do it in a PG - else just do it in solo

There is simply no point of Open in this scenario unless you enjoy griefing others or being griefed yourself.
Not even piracy is fun when you roam Taranis for an hour to get a single drive.

I disagree in principle. I think ED is an MMO, which means that ALL plays should be doable in open. Solo just feels stale and boring. And I've been having lots of fun, actually, doing it all in Open. I've delivered about 10 drives so far, and every run was full of excitement, since you never know what kind of scumbag you run into. But there's scumbags and scumbags. If I get pirated in Ethgreze and a Jack Sparrow scoopes my stuff, I'm perfectly fine with it. Because it's a fun interaction. But getting ganked at 10% HP in Taranis by some Novice know-it-all is not a fun interaction. So I guess my point is, this should all be doable in Open, people just need to learn some manners. But I always feel the kid-squad gets the upper hand in this game.

Those doing the ganking would say that you are building a poor ship (as it cannot survive the ganking attempt) or need to develop the required skills to evade/survive the gank. You want your game experience to be fighting thargoids/collecting mats and not engaging in PvP. They just see you as content for their game experience and do not care if your experience is not what you want it to be.

Steve

That's a very thoughtful reply, thank you. I completely agree. I also agree with the gankers' perspective. What bugs me, though, is actually what you're saying: the difference in expectation. I'm not going in for PvP, I'm going in for the Taranis experience, so to speak. So of course, I bring an AX ship that can't deal with a dedicated PvP build. After I got ganked once, I switched to my PvP ship and tried to intercept the Krait that had ganked me. And what did he do? Insta-log. That's just real scumbaggery right there.

I disagree in principle. I think ED is an MMO, which means that ALL plays should be doable in open. Solo just feels stale and boring. And I've been having lots of fun, actually, doing it all in Open. I've delivered about 10 drives so far, and every run was full of excitement, since you never know what kind of scumbag you run into. But there's scumbags and scumbags. If I get pirated in Ethgreze and a Jack Sparrow scoopes my stuff, I'm perfectly fine with it. Because it's a fun interaction. But getting ganked at 10% HP in Taranis by some Novice know-it-all is not a fun interaction. So I guess my point is, this should all be doable in Open, people just need to learn some manners. But I always feel the kid-squad gets the upper hand in this game.

Unfortunately, you can't tell in advance whether the hostile player you'll encounter is an actual Jolly Roger type, or just some murderhobo looking an easy target. That's the risk one takes when one enters busy systems in Open.

I disagree in principle

Nothing wrong with that.

I think ED is an MMO, which means that ALL plays should be doable in open

Well, they are.
The point is: are those plays in open fun? Entertaining? Or are they a waste of time and/or a source of frustration.
That depends on each and every player.

Solo just feels stale and boring. And I've been having lots of fun, actually, doing it all in Open. I've delivered about 10 drives so far, and every run was full of excitement, since you never know what kind of scumbag you run into. But there's scumbags and scumbags. If I get pirated in Ethgreze and a Jack Sparrow scoopes my stuff, I'm perfectly fine with it. Because it's a fun interaction. But getting ganked at 10% HP in Taranis by some Novice know-it-all is not a fun interaction. So I guess my point is, this should all be doable in Open, people just need to learn some manners

You cannot really tell people to have manners in open.
But you can solve your own issues on this matter simply by blocking the ones that make your experience miserable - however, to have someone getting a spot on your block list most of the time you have to get through a miserable experience, plus the block list is not 100% infailible, especially if you are winged and you have a long list of friends that may be also friends with the gankers.

Anyways, i replied to your post because it seemed to me that you are complaining about your experience in open, but maybe i got it all wrong.

The hotel is thataway...

Provided there are players who provide targets for other players, the argument will be ever self-fuelling - with no targets but each other, the fun probably diminishes.

Good point, and thanks for the link. (y)

Anyways, i replied to your post because it seemed to me that you are complaining about your experience in open, but maybe i got it all wrong.
Not so much complaining about their experience in open, just complaining that other players are not behaving in a manner they wish, it appears.
I'd prefer to blow someone up with only 10% hull remaining, rather than have to knock off 4,000 points before "ship go boom!", which the OP considers ill-mannered...

If only someone hadn't decided that Thargoid rigged ships would be completely ineffective against normal rigged ships. If only people had pointed out what a terrible decision that was very early. Oh, wait....

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom