Ganking / Taranis

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I went in yesterday to collect goodies at Taranis in solo and a couple times in PG because, well, gankers. They are a nuisance when trying to get a job done when one has limited gaming time.

For my last session I went in open just for kicks and was not disappointed. First instance I'm drifting around collecting wares and there was a Cmdr buzzing around in a sidey scooping up the mats before my limpets got to them, lol. Finally a drive mat appeared in contacts and it was a race to see who could get to it first! I went in straight to scoop it but bounced it off the front of the axmobile and destroyed it. Sidey bugged off after that.

I went back one last time for the evening and dropped into another Cmdr's instance but the poor chap had goids and swarms all over them so I tried to help best I could. I had all my weapons powered down so by the time I got armed and went in to draw some fire away, I forgot briefly that I was in a cold orbit build and went in guns blazing completely shieldless. My hull was taking a beating so I ended up having to bail..not sure the fate of the Cmdr I tried to help though as it was time to log out for the night.

Solo/PG=getting stuff done
Open=who knows what will happen

Piracy is noble,

Romanticized pirate

f19077539edca117412628ff7e87d2d7.jpg

Reality pirate

giphy.gif

I was in the Taranis remnants a few times yesterday, in open, in my shieldless Clipper.

Fairly successful as I managed 3 drive components. Had a couple of thargoid kills as well. Also had a go 'round with what I assume was an NPC pirate type. Assumption made because of the name and the typical NPC pirate conversation. I did manage to outrun him though. Got back to my carrier (one jump away) with 3% hull left as I couldn't keep up with the damage even with repair limpits. I should note that this ship is still undergoing modification, albeit slowly.

Gnomemad

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm mainly explorer, I'm basically as far from pvp but I only can, but damn.
After reading this all salty threads or posts about "gAnKeRs" I feel urge to join to this rodeo.

Whole point of "ganking" is attacking other people when he is in disadvantage for combat, because place, loadout, or activity which you want to do at this place.
Time to swallow this pill, and continue your stuff, go to solo, or if anyone believe, that wing of "anti gankers" could help him- find people for such activity 🖖

Time to swallow this pill, and continue your stuff, go to solo,
Players should play however they wish, but not come here to complain that their choice of play lost them a ship for whatever reason
or if anyone believe, that wing of "anti gankers" could help him- find people for such activity 🖖
Yeah... SPEAR wore that hat for a while - but were no better than gankers themselves (although I did chuckle when they took FCs out to Colonia to get rid of the gankers there... a wing of the defenders of law wasted 5 minutes of their time blowing up my Hauler, stock, no weapons or armour, and no bounties attached.. Those were the days!)

Of course, the block function meant that the 'lawbreakers' could prevent them ever instancing with SPEAR players :ROFLMAO:

As far as Taranis wreckage scoopin goes, there is plently of bulids that could be PVP viable, and still have litte space for cargo or even carry an collector limpets, while not being EZ targets for gank bulids - my tip: use such bulids in open instead asps or DBE with nothing but docking comp, supercruz assist, SRV bays, DSS, limpets, and scanners on utility, with no weapons at all.

Cmdrs make same mistakes over and over... they say: I went there in open cuz of "taranis experience" not "pvp", yet still they still chose open and go there with unprepared bulids, then complain about being randomly getting ganked, especially by cmdrs who get rekt in any means of fighting back, or even log once they lose.

If only someone hadn't decided that Thargoid rigged ships would be completely ineffective against normal rigged ships. If only people had pointed out what a terrible decision that was very early. Oh, wait....
Salvation Plasma chargers are preety solid on PVP, and preety much underated, thus rarely seen. But it should be only used as fully charged.

5 or 6 are more than enough. As bonus, they can take care of thargoids as well with ease, donno why ppl insist of using shards over these.... right, shards are kind of easier use, probly thats why, like a lot easier, so it might be self-explaing.

Yeah... SPEAR wore that hat for a while - but were no better than gankers themselves (although I did chuckle when they took FCs out to Colonia to get rid of the gankers there... a wing of the defenders of law wasted 5 minutes of their time blowing up my Hauler, stock, no weapons or armour, and no bounties attached.. Those were the days!)
Indeed. SPEAR members are bunch of hipocrites (biggest ones in entire ED PVP history), some are well known for past CL or so, and preety much most of them if not all, cant do much unless they got numbers advantage.

And full wing ganking, an random cmdr who aint doing PVP and probly being in open for first time, but have bounty of 1000 cr, its thier signature thing as well.

Salvation Plasma chargers are preety solid on PVP, and preety much underated, thus rarely seen. But it should be only used as fully charged.

5 or 6 are more than enough. As bonus, they can take care of thargoids as well with ease, donno why ppl insist of using shards over thes
Modplasmas are great, but modshards are generally better against thargoid hearts, hence favoured over plasma. Plasma chargers also tend to obscure the target with the cloud they leave behind and their use in open/groups was/is a faux pas.

Modplasmas are great, but modshards are generally better against thargoid hearts, hence favoured over plasma. Plasma chargers also tend to obscure the target with the cloud they leave behind and their use in open/groups was/is a faux pas.
I know this, but unlike Shards, Chargers can make AX bulid actually being able to defend itself in case of PVP attack...

Faux pass or not, if fully charged it does Absolute dmg at quite good level vs any meta bulids or anything in general.
Great to in catching cmdrs with 0 SYS pips, and easy to use once get hang of it.
Hard to snipe modules with it, but pure % of hull/shields away being taken per salvo its solid, but again, but need be always fully charged, and also, within optimal range.
It has steep dmg falloff, but it makes up for it if used right. Makes very nice combo with cascade rails, especially CG ones, to deal with cell banks if present.

AX ships that dont sleep on MRP's and got some shields can make out as kind of medium hull tank bulid as used in PVP, despite being AX fitted.
Point is to actually fight back using such bulids or rather right weapons, with things that hurt, thats it, and like it or not, Salvation plasma charger are one and only AX weapon, that can do something in PVP.

"Get spread this word on your local AX group, to equip nothing but max amount of salvation plasma chargers, and U All go play open same instance, and once ganked by anything, instead of thargoids, just focus on ganker"
Anonymous Cmdr

Its fun. I heard. Not so much for ganker, maybe they take away one from group if fall, but can be forced to bail out sooner than it happens.
Also, ganker might die quite quickly if they realize too late they doomed. :cool:

Update: I ran a little test. I went into Taranis with a decently geared Krait and ganked the first player I came across. The interaction that followed was quite interesting. His English wasn't so good, but from what I gathered, he made exactly the same points I made: He basically said the game is so empty because he comes in with a non-PvP ship and immediately gets ganked by some scumbag (which would be me, in this case). He then switched to Solo. This, I think, points to a fundamental problem. And don't even bother going the "You've-become-the-evil-you-decried" road, I'm well aware of that.

True, you can’t normally beat a ship built for PvP, but you can certainly evade one with the right build, even in a sidey.

Well, that's exactly the point - you cant beat a pvp-er, you can escape at most - which is still a loss for you since you are prevented from getting your objective which for you is something that is Not_PVP.
Sure, there are players that enjoy the "you cant catch me" game but that doesnt change the fact that each escape is wasted time in regards to reaching the game's objective which in this case would be finding the elusive drives.

Play in solo or PG where you want. Play in open where you want. Block other players when you disagree with their approach (such as ganking when you are outclassed, then combat logging when they are outclassed). The game gives plenty of options

Absolutely - that's my approach to the game too.

I only have issues with the people trying to impose their playstyle over other players (specifically the open only gang, but not only) or trying to impose penalties for people not playing the game in the same mode as they play.

ED is indeed classed as a MMO game, and FD made it possible for players to choose who they wished to interact with, if at all.
There are a number of players who believe that having a choice is wrong and that every player should be forced to have the possiblilty of interaction with every other player.
It has been the same old debate since before I joined the forum, and will continue until the day the game is shut down.

Always fun, and the arguments never change!
Part of the problem is that ED is presented and marketed as an MMO, it superficially looks like an MMO, but it isn't an MMO. One of those Ms stands for "massively". How many players can we instance with at once?

ED is actually a single- player game with some multi-player features bolted on.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom